• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who makes the best revolver?

Cody Ray

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have gone shooting with my cousin the past couple weeks and have become COMPLETELY hooked. My favorite hand gun was his revolver (don't remember caliber but its 20 years old). I'm looking to purchase something for target shooting and self defense during camping trips. Looking for recommendations. I have no problem with recoil, in fact the more it kicks the more I enjoy it (that sounds bad, but it be the truth).

richlands55

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Get a Ruger .357 mag. I owned one years ago. Very accurate.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would love to get a Ruger Vaquero/Blackhawk. I can flip flop all day whether or not I want a .375 or .45LC though...

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Cody Ray

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Lol that was awesome! The shooting range I went to last week rented a Taurus 500 that was calling my name.

Ruger is made in Prescott, AZ right? Would love to buy local.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Taurus

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
if you just want something for plinking targets then get a .22lr revolver. The ammo for it is so cheap it might as well be free ..........

something for defense.......... I would kinda like a colt .44

then again ...... somebody will mess their trousers if point that at them and cock that big pistol...... then either faint or die of a heart attack

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
<br />
<br />
<br />
holy double barrel automatic pistol batman.........<br />
<br />
thats cool and all ....... but since you could not shoot 1 round at a time I would rather have my Beretta........
Haha yea i would love to have one collector purposes but that thing is definitely not economical. But its is bada$$. Need to dual wield? No problem and still have a free hand.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Taurus is often overlooked, they make a decent revolver though. I shot one of the Total Titanium pistols in .38 and was impressed with how easily handled that light snubby was. I also got to shoot a Raging Bull in .44 mag. Knowing how a .44 can recoil, I made sure I was braced good when I pulled the trigger and... POP.... wtf.... that was it? Yea, it's a big heavy honking gun, but the weight, balance and muzzle porting made it handle more like a 9mm when it came time to pull the trigger - absolute minimal recoil.

Ruger, Colt and Smith/Wesson make good revolvers as well (just can be a little more spendy depending on what you're after).

The thing with defense calibers is that the ammo is a bit more pricey than buying .22 ammo for target shooting. It starts to add up quick when you try to get to the range and put a box or two through a gun a week, so for plinking it may be nice to look into a .22 pistol. Revolvers aren't bad, but I got to shoot a mildly tuned Ruger MK (the ones that vaguely resemble the 9mm Lugers of WWII fame) and holy heck is that thing fun! It'll chew through a 10 round mag as fast as you can twitch the trigger. Pretty accurate too. I saw the new ones now have the option for mounting a holographic or red dot sight too.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
come on man, "who makes the best revolver?" that's like asking "who makes the best SUV?" or "who makes the best cordless drill?" everyone has their own opinion. what i would do is find a gun store that has a shooting range in it and try out a bunch of different ones and see what you like and are most comfortable/accurate with.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can second (or 3rd, 4th, etc) S&W, Ruger, and Taurus. I will say that Taurus is a great gun for the price, and comparatively will probably cost less than the other two.

That said I also Second Eddie's comment, and am surprised it wasn't made sooner.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I'll attest to Taurus' lifetime quality and customer service.

I bought an M608 (6.5" bbl), and it ended up needing work on the front of the yoke. The cylinder gap would close up and rub the forcing cone as the hand would rotate it to the next chamber, causing it to take excessive trigger pull to advance it (unsafe as hell, so I often just rotated the cylinder with my fingers while cocking the hammer).

I called Taurus and told them what it was doing and they had me print off a work order with all of the pertinent information on it. I then took the gun to a UPS shipping center and shipped it and the work order to Florida. Right at two weeks later, I had the pistol back at my house.

It has shot like a dream with no malfunctions since.

When they state that their products have a lifetime warranty, they mean for the life of the PRODUCT. That also applies to anything they've ever made, not just since they've had management changes over the past decade or so.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals