• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'83 Ranger diesel swap into '99 Ranger 4x4 Supercab

Ayyub Ansari

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
I am hoping to get a bit of advice on a project that I am looking at taking on involving placing my rebuilt 2.2L perkins diesel from an '83 ranger into my '99 Ranger 4x4. I have had my '83 for a very long time and the shell has met the end of its useful life, however the motor is still going very strong (since it's rebuild in '08. I added a turbonetics turbo to it with 5.5lbs boost and it really seemed to bring it to life. I recently came across a '99 Ranger 4x4 with a head gasket issue and I just could not pass it up for the price. Everything is in great to pristine shape on it, sans the engine and I figured this would be a great opportunity for a transplant. I have an old 2.2l perkins that is in need of a rebuild that I figured I would use as a template in order to fab an adapter to the existing automatic transmission. Here are the questions that I have for any and all enthusiasts and professionals out there:
1) Will the auto trans hold up to a 2.2l diesels torque?
2) Should I change the gear ratio? Only need to go 70mph tops
3) Can I still use the majority of the wiring besides engine harness?
4) Is there a universal diesel tach pickup to work with my guage cluster?
5) Key is a transponder,will that mess with anything?

I am a decent fabricator and I have a good shop to do this in, plus I have good connections with other fab shops to assist in anything that is beyond my ability in that regard. I am not concerned about emissions or such on this new of vehicle as I never plan to sell it, nor do I live in an area that has or will have emission in the near future.
Thanks for reading the post. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1) Will the auto trans hold up to a 2.2l diesels torque?
2) Should I change the gear ratio? Only need to go 70mph tops
3) Can I still use the majority of the wiring besides engine harness?
4) Is there a universal diesel tach pickup to work with my guage cluster?
5) Key is a transponder,will that mess with anything?
There is no way in hell that engine could hurt any transmission unless you dropped it on it. It's doubtful that you could get THAT tranny to work, though, as it's electronically controlled. Even the early A4LD has one or two electrical solenoids for over-drive and lock-up. I think you need to plan on using the tranny that comes behind the engine, and I assume it's a manual. Another problem with an auto is that even if you get the thing hooked up, the torque converter might not be compatible with the characteristics of the little diesel.

As to gearing, it depends. Your '99 is heavier so that power is going to be stretched. That 2.2 started life at 60hp and 90ft#. 5.5psi of boost is about 1/3 of an atmosphere if you count added heat, so at best you are looked at a 20hp/30ft# increase. My VW TDI has 3x the boost and an intercooler and is factory rated at 90hp and 150ft#. That's if your pump is turned up. At best, I'd guess you are making 80hp 120ft#, which is a lot less than the 3.0 or 4.0 you plan to replace. I wouldn't decide anything until you tried it out, but I'd bet if you made a change it would be to a numerically higher ratio.

Your diesel is not going to need any of the engine harness. The engine and body have different harnesses, for the most part. Helminc.com has the diagrams.

If your diesel has a tach it's probably tied into the alternator. If not, you will probably be in the market for an aftermarket one. Autometer has Part# 2888 (I think that's right) which uses a magnet attached to the alternator with a big hose clamp. You don't need a tach though. Nothing used to have them because they were expensive and you didn't need it. Now that everything like that is cheap, everything has one. My wife's Honda Pilot has a tach. What the hell for? You put it in drive and it goes. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars programming the tranny so it shifts properly.

I don't know about the key.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
frankly the absolute minimum I'd be able to deal with in a 4x4 ranger would be something like a 4bt Cummins and that only if it was "tweeked" to ~150hp

Adding a turbo to a diesel that doesn't already have one doesn't make any increase in power beyond burning the fuel that normally goes unburned out the tailpipe, UNLESS you know how to turn up the injection pump to deliver more fuel.

So basically adding 5lb to a perkins likely just makes it run cleaner,

the early ranger "perkins" diesel would not be my choice, nor would the later Mitsubishi turbo diesel.

Personally I think a diesel with either an overhead camshaft or an aluminum cylinder head is a method of planning for failure.

The only Jap mini diesel I liked (and in ther past I owned a toyota diesel, a Nissan diesel
and friends had a Mitsubishi (actually a D50) and an isuzu.

Of the four I thought the Nissan SD25 was the best of the bunch, as it was an all cast iron pushrod engine with GEAR DRIVEN camshaft and injector pump.

The Mitsubishi and Toyota were both belt driven (Cam and injector pump)
with aluminum cylinder heads.

The Isuzu if I recall correctly did have an aluminum head and overhead camshaft but was chain driven.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals