• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bow options

Best first compound bow?

• Bear Legion 318 FPS

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Diamond Outlaw 330 FPS

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

03Fx4MN

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking to purchase a bow to extend my deer hunting season vastly. I've been looking at bear legion and diamond outlaw bows. I have heard that diamond bows are just last years models of bowtech. I'm looking to spend about $500. anyone have any tips or does any one own one or the other? It would be my first bow and yes i know there are faster stronger better bows out there blah blah blah. Like I said tho it would be my first and I'm leaning towards the diamond outlaw.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have a Diamond Outlaw and it is a great bow but it does have one issue, the Throttle Cam. It is such an aggressive cam that it has a horrific draw cycle. There is a huge Peak just before the cam kicks over, but with a 80% let off once it kicks over you can hold the draw for days. It does offer the speed that Bowtech/Diamond claim, which is insane for a single cam bow.

The Throttle Cam is an amazing piece of technology but I'm afraid with this being your first venture into archery that it may put a bad taste in your mouth.

Look at the Bowtech Assassin. It is the same bow but with Binary cams rather then the Throttle cam. The Binary cams offer a significantly smoother draw cycle and a little more speed.

I'd suggest buying a bare bow and buying the accessories separate. The R.A.K. accessories are OK and they get the job done, but better stuff is available.

Find a proshop and shoot as many bows as you can before you buy anything. Find a bow that fits you and feels right. When you find the right bow you will know, it will just feel right, completely natural.

Also, are you sure you want a bow that short?

With all that said, the Outlaw is a great bow, especially for the price. I don't have any experience with Bear, but I hear they make a good bow too.

The Outlaw will make a mediocre archer(me) look like a good archer.
14 shots at 50 yards.

-Jester

03Fx4MN

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Diamond Outlaw and it is a great bow but it does have one issue, the Throttle Cam. It is such an aggressive cam that it has a horrific draw cycle. There is a huge Peak just before the cam kicks over, but with a 80% let off once it kicks over you can hold the draw for days. It does offer the speed that Bowtech/Diamond claim, which is insane for a single cam bow.

The Throttle Cam is an amazing piece of technology but I'm afraid with this being your first venture into archery that it may put a bad taste in your mouth.

Look at the Bowtech Assassin. It is the same bow but with Binary cams rather then the Throttle cam. The Binary cams offer a significantly smoother draw cycle and a little more speed.

I'd suggest buying a bare bow and buying the accessories separate. The R.A.K. accessories are OK and they get the job done, but better stuff is available.

Find a proshop and shoot as many bows as you can before you buy anything. Find a bow that fits you and feels right. When you find the right bow you will know, it will just feel right, completely natural.

Also, are you sure you want a bow that short?

With all that said, the Outlaw is a great bow, especially for the price. I don't have any experience with Bear, but I hear they make a good bow too.

The Outlaw will make a mediocre archer(me) look like a good archer.
14 shots at 50 yards.

-Jester
It wouldnt be my first time shooting a bow I shot a 70 # bow for a controlled hunt when I was about 15 and Ive used one here and there so Im not like running out and buying one cause I think im gonna like it. I do understand what your saying tho so outlaw VS assassin now

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bows are incredibly personal, if you have the best bow in the world but it doesn't fit you a guy that is at home with his cheapie that fits him well will outshoot you.

Shoot a bunch and buy the best one you can afford.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
no need to shoot above 60-65fps. if you lived here in oklahoma, you could just use a crossbow, which is 100 times better.

that being said, i would go with the bear.

Rolled Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have also been looking to pick up a new bow. There are a couple guys at work that are really into bow hunting and I figure I will try it out. I have had my eye on an assassin. A lot of guys say they eventually end up swapping out the accessories for better stuff but it is a great deal if you are starting out and need everything. Check out the assassin black ops. It looks pretty cool. Let us know what you decide on. I will probably be getting one in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no need to shoot above 60-65fps. if you lived here in oklahoma, you could just use a crossbow, which is 100 times better.

The slower you shoot the more hangtime it has to be effected by things like wind and distance (runs out of poop before it gets there)

The snag is it seems most faster bows require a come-a-long to pull them back. Fast speed does help with a shorter stroke (or draw length) I know a lot of smaller draw length guys like them for that reason.

I shoot an old PSE Baby-G-Force. It was fast for its day (late 90's-early 00's) and is a sweetheart to draw back. I have never chrono'ed it but it is maybe a tad slower than the newer Bears and Hoyts that I tag along to 3D shoots with and arches more... it pulls a lot nicer though too.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bows are incredibly personal, if you have the best bow in the world but it doesn't fit you a guy that is at home with his cheapie that fits him well will outshoot you.

Shoot a bunch and buy the best one you can afford.
so true... I personally use a Matthews sq2 with a few kills under my belt.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
The slower you shoot the more hangtime it has to be effected by things like wind and distance (runs out of poop before it gets there)

The snag is it seems most faster bows require a come-a-long to pull them back. Fast speed does help with a shorter stroke (or draw length) I know a lot of smaller draw length guys like them for that reason.

I shoot an old PSE Baby-G-Force. It was fast for its day (late 90's-early 00's) and is a sweetheart to draw back. I have never chrono'ed it but it is maybe a tad slower than the newer Bears and Hoyts that I tag along to 3D shoots with and arches more... it pulls a lot nicer though too.
it depends on where you hunt i guess. here in oklahoma, all my deer shot with a bow have been within 40yds. i shoot 60lbs, and have never had an issue. i do have friends that shoot 75-80lbs, and they do have the ability to shoot out to 60yds. i personaly would be nervous to shoot a bow that far. however, my dad shoots his crossbow out to 60yds with no problems. he shot a doe at 54yds, bolt went comletely through both lungs...and she just stood there for about 20 seconds before doing the death scramble. i shoot a martin crossfire, and its a great bow.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

it depends on where you hunt i guess. here in oklahoma, all my deer shot with a bow have been within 40yds. i shoot 60lbs, and have never had an issue. i do have friends that shoot 75-80lbs, and they do have the ability to shoot out to 60yds. i personaly would be nervous to shoot a bow that far. however, my dad shoots his crossbow out to 60yds with no problems. he shot a doe at 54yds, bolt went comletely through both lungs...and she just stood there for about 20 seconds before doing the death scramble. i shoot a martin crossfire, and its a great bow.
Did you mean lbs in your first post?

When you said 60-65fps I instantly thought of my old Bear that about had to pull over and get more gas halfway to the target from 30yds. Wind blew it around like crazy as it dawdled its way downrange but after thinking about it even then it would have to be going faster than that.

My brother got a real nice 14pt this year, I think he is drawing in the 60-65 range. His bow is has had the cams changed around to increase the draw length because he has the arm span of a gorilla, it is literally a "bear" too draw back for a mortal human and is freakishly fast for its draw weight. He usually likes to run it around 70 but he had a rough summer...

I have heard shorter spanned people that can't run as much draw length like to make up for that lack of power by adding poundage to the draw to come out somewhat the same at the end.

In Iowa you have to be handicapped to hunt with a crossbow. I haven't really gotten into bowhunting but it is fun to go to 3D shoots with friends and since everybody else runs a compound it wouldn't be as much fun to be different.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When is grenade season?

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
Did you mean lbs in your first post?

When you said 60-65fps I instantly thought of my old Bear that about had to pull over and get more gas halfway to the target from 30yds. Wind blew it around like crazy as it dawdled its way downrange but after thinking about it even then it would have to be going faster than that.

My brother got a real nice 14pt this year, I think he is drawing in the 60-65 range. His bow is has had the cams changed around to increase the draw length because he has the arm span of a gorilla, it is literally a "bear" too draw back for a mortal human and is freakishly fast for its draw weight. He usually likes to run it around 70 but he had a rough summer...

I have heard shorter spanned people that can't run as much draw length like to make up for that lack of power by adding poundage to the draw to come out somewhat the same at the end.

In Iowa you have to be handicapped to hunt with a crossbow. I haven't really gotten into bowhunting but it is fun to go to 3D shoots with friends and since everybody else runs a compound it wouldn't be as much fun to be different.
yes, i did mean lbs. mind moves faster than fingers....or slower, im not sure.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
To be honest 500 is just gonna get you a shitty bow. I suggest saving up and getting a used or new HOYT. Hoyt is by far the best bow manufacturer out there. They stand behind their work and have the most competition wins period. I'd look at getting a used Katera, Turbo Hawk, PowerHawk or Avenger. To be honest bear bows are total crap I am not a big fan of glass limbs I've seen many snap. And the same with the Diamond bows there alright but far from ideal. Alot can go wrong with solo cam bows too so I suggest getting a dual cam bow. You can dump a additional 500-1000 bucks into one of those bows you suggested and have a pretty decent bow or you can do it right buy a used hoyt and put 200 into a good sight and rest and have a top of the line awesome bow. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.
http://www.hoyt.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-zSiKbfx3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjCIopssjEg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqKHiYY87bE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGG5d-hC8M

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You do not need a $1000+ bow to kill a deer. To win $10 plastic trophies... probably but deer is better eating. The natives did it for centuries with glorified sticks.

With casual target practice and hunting a Bowtech, Bear or any other major breed should last you a long time. If they blew up a lot or had tons of problems they would not still be making them.

My glass limbed single cam PSE has been faultess and is somewhere between 10-15 years old.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals