• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone in South FL/Miami have some time to help me out?

learningcircles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I've been having some big problems with my Mazda B4000 SE 4x4. I was hunting with it last week and put it in some water that was way too deep. It pulled in some water through the intake and locked right up.

I towed it home and have been working with it every day since.

I got the motor back without much of a problem. I changed the air filter, pulled the plugs, turned it over and got the water out, put new plugs in, and changed the oil twice. No problems with the motor since then, no bent rods, valves, etc. It runs like a champ again (it's a 4.0 if that matters).

I drained the (manual 5 spd) Transmission and transfer case and flushed them twice, then filled to the fill hole with Dexron III/Mercon. There seems to be no problems there as it goes into gear and shifts fine, if not better.

I don't have the tools or facilities to pull the Dana out of the front, so I borrowed a buddy's siphon pump and pulled out all the liquid through the fill hole (gear oil/water mix; it looked like cappuccino) and replaced it with 75w 90 gear oil.

The rear diff I pulled the pan off of and drained it, then sopped up all I could with a towel and put the pan cover back on with black RTV and filled it to the fill hole.

Today I drove it down the road to get some new tires (its past time), and over 35 mph it makes a VERY loud whirring sound. If I stayed around 35 mph for long enough, it would "slip" and slow down. To me, it sounded like the sound was coming from the rear of the truck, so I got it back home and pulled the rear differential cover again. The fluid that came out still looked really bad, not quite chocolate milk, but bad.

SO, I drained it again for about an hour, then sopped up what was left with a towel again. I RTV'd the cover back on again, and filled it up with new gear oil.

I haven't driven it yet, but I'm not really holding out a whole lot of hope that its all done.

Is there anybody in the south FL/Miami area that would be willing to stop by and check it out, maybe drive around in it for a minute and tell me what is up? I'm pretty handy and have alot of tools, so it can get fixed at my place most likely.

I don't have the money to take it to the shop, I just got out of the army and moved down here, I don't have a job yet and my wife has bought plane tickets to see our families out of state for the holidays--so all our extra cash went to that. I'm just hoping for someone to be neighborly if they are close, I will more than gladly provide some working beers.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
manual trans?

Today I drove it down the road to get some new tires (its past time), and over 35 mph it makes a VERY loud whirring sound. If I stayed around 35 mph for long enough, it would "slip" and slow down. To me, it sounded like the sound was coming from the rear of the truck, so I got it back home and pulled the rear differential cover again. The fluid that came out still looked really bad, not quite chocolate milk, but bad.

you mean the noise...or the truck?

i dont know if i will have any time, but i will be down there in a few weeks and if its laid up still i would be willing to have a gawk at it if its not too far from the rig...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
sounds like the clutch is slipping a bit.

learningcircles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
But that wouldn't cause the whirring noise would it? Maybe there is water in the brake fluid. How do I drain it?

sounds like the clutch is slipping a bit.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i misunderstood ya.....

its your powersteering pump.....i thought it waas just slipping.

learningcircles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Why would the power steering pump make it slip and slow down? And why would it make a rubbing/whirring noise going down the road?

i misunderstood ya.....

its your powersteering pump.....i thought it waas just slipping.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
if the truck actually slips and slows down then it has to be the clutch....orthe trans/tcase/rear locking up

the wirring noise is likely water in the steering fluid or the idlers/alt pullies making new noise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals