• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Winch bumper build

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wish that I had taken a few more pictures during the build process, hopefully from the pictures I can describe what I did. I started out by removing the factory bumper and cutting the bumper mounts flush to the frame. I then took 3/8th plate and cut it into two "L" shaped pieces roughly 18"x12"x6". I took a piece of 6"x6" square tube 1/4" wall and 6' long, and cut a section approximately 2 feet long. I then welded this between the two "L" pieces. I drilled holes through the "L"'s and the truck frame, and I then bolted it together. I set my saw (chop saw, although a band saw would work much better) at around 20* (might have been slightly less) and cut two more sections of square tube that I used to make "wings" for the bumper. I then capped off the ends with some diamond plate that I had laying around.

For tow hooks, I cut two small sections of 3/8th plate and welded them over top of the existing 3/8th plate to make a 3/4th inch think mounting surface for my tow hooks.

Next onto the hard part, turning it into a winch bumper. I cut the top out, and part of the back so that the winch could sit down inside. I then took the piece that I cut off and welded it onto the underside so that the winch would be bolted down to 1/2 inch plate. I cut open a spot for the cable to go through, then bolted on the fairlead. I dropped in the winch, wired it up, and I was good to go.

If I were to do it again, I would do it a little differently. I would make the spot where the winch rest a little bigger, as it is I only have about 1/32th inch clearance. I would do the blinkers a little differently, they work alright, but are not the best. I probably could have gotten a better price on steel if I had shopped around a little (bought remnants) as it was I have about $200 in the bumper ($150 in steel, $50 for tow hooks, paint, and other supplies). I would also do something different with the paint, I put on 3 or 4 coats of primer plus 2 coats of paint, and I am still getting surface rust 6 months after making the bumper (gotta love Wisconsin).

hick

Shag

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nice work! :icon_thumby:
You should be proud of that bumper. Good stuff.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nice work! :icon_thumby:
You should be proud of that bumper. Good stuff.
Thanks for post this. Great work.
Thanks...

In case anyone was wondering, the bumper itself weighs in around 120#'s, with the winch added, it is a little over 200#'s. The front sags a little bit from where it was, but I am planning on some new coils to even things out.

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals