• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: install FX4 lumbar support in standard 60/40 buckets

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
This is a How-To install the FX4 turn style lumbar system in any for ranger with the black and grey 60/40 buckets with flip up console. Myself, nor this site, is responsible for your mistakes if you choose to do this modification. This does require cutting a hole in your factory seat appolstry, and isnt recomended for someone unconfortable with this step!

What you need is:
Lumbar dial with cable and knob (the two screws to hold dial in place)
Lumbar mechanism with spring
Seat pan from fx4 with lumbar

Tools Used:
Flat head
Needle nose
Philips head
8MM
13MM

Remove you seat from the truck, and watch out for the airbag cable attatched to the bottom.

Now, you have to take apart your seat first. Remove the 4 bolts holding the seat pan to the frame (8mm). Then, you will see a bolt on each side of the frame, holdding the tilt bracket. Loosen one (doesnt matter which) out 3/4 of the way. Now disconnect the cables and wires and unclip the fabric from the pan. You should now be able to remove the seat panwithout anything holding it in place. BE CAREFUL THAT EVERYTHING IS DISCONECTED. the cable for the tilt may stay on the seat pan until the next step.

Get you new one, feed the cable through the hole on the side of the pan, and under the seat rail, then clip the center pin into the new seat. Install that seat pan in the seat frame. Some trimming may be nessisary to clear the bar for the middle seat support.

Now Remove the back seat cover by uncliping the plastic strip along the bottom. Now you have to roll the seat cover up on itself about half way up the seat. (you may hear a ripping sound, if its done correctly thats the velcro, but make sure!) Clip the lumbar system to the back bars of the seat now. Route the cable through the seat pan, and under the seat frame into the back and connect the wire to the lumbar mechanism (will take a bit of strength). dont forget to screw in the dial to the seat pan!

Close the backing up, clip the fabric to the seat pan and reinstall the four bolts. You will have to cut the fabric and foam for the knob to stick out on the side. i started with the foam as its easier, and just used scisors. the i clipped the fabri to the pan, and cut an X over the dial. you also will need to cut the plastic to clear the knob. this can be done with a dremel.

Now install everything you removed and enjoy!

Any questions, please post them below.

Last edited:

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Excellent writeup!! I may use this to install lumbar supports in my Ranger one of these days:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals