• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB Not Working Right

wowko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a brand new Cobra 19DXIV 40-Channel CB, with a Cobra HG A 1500 Base-Load antenna. Got it all wired up, yet it doesnt seem to work right. I can hear all my buddys OK but they cant hear me for shit.

The kicker is i had another CB i never hooked up and gave it to my buddy with an old antenna, and his setup is working fine.

I have the antenna roof mounted right now. I have two other antennas, the fiberglass kind, that i can try as well.

Let me know, thanks!

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am having the same problem. Mine worked good for about 4 trips and now it quit.

ike621

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It could be that you are not pushing enough wattage to reach them or that the sending unit is not producing enough wattage.

I would also check you mic and make sure it is sending good signals.

I am currently working on C-130s that push nearly 500 watts over the HF radio and can tune to CB frequencies. I would offer assistance in troubleshooting but I think the truckers going down I-25 and I-40 wouldn't like having that much power being received in their CBs.

wowko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Other trucks can hear my friends fine...i just have it wired to the radio circuit via the fuse panel...could that be why?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no, the 19dxiv is an entry level radio, though i like it (it's what's in my truck) all cb radios will recieve the same, if they are fuctioning properly, there is no difference on the recieving between a $20 radio, and a $200 radio, though the tuning for ssb and such will be different, and some cheaper radios may not have as powerful of a transmitter... i can hear my friends when driving down the highway, several corners away... though anything more than a 5 minute drive and it's getting broken up

antenna is a common issue but will typically be between both transmit and receive...

your power source if it powers the radio, it powers the radio, have you checked your SWR? if it's way out, it can a) not transmit to the radio and antenna's full potential, and b) burn out the transmitter

typically, the longer the antenna, the better it will transmit, it will receive a little better too, but not to the same amount as transmit

my money is your SWR is way off the charts 3:1 or somehting

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah check the swr...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It could be that you are not pushing enough wattage to reach them or that the sending unit is not producing enough wattage.

I would also check you mic and make sure it is sending good signals.

I am currently working on C-130s that push nearly 500 watts over the HF radio and can tune to CB frequencies. I would offer assistance in troubleshooting but I think the truckers going down I-25 and I-40 wouldn't like having that much power being received in their CBs.
500 watts is a little pip-squeak mud-duck radio to some people out there :icon_rofl:

I would agree though that an SWR check is in order here (a stock 4-watt radio should still be heard for at least a few miles). SWR meters can be had for as little as $15-20 or so.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just tune it on channel 19, if you plan to use most channels, or if you only use 1 channel, tune it on that

dangerranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
me and a buddy had the exact same problem. it turned out to be our mics. id bet its your mic as well. just find one that will work(check it on your buddys setup to see if it works then try it on yours). it worked for us.

92rangnick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
id check your swr, if your ony running one whip and its on the top of ur tuck its an awsome ground plane, find sumone with a reader and make sure when u q up ur 2 or lower, iy your running more then one antenna make sure there atleast 8ft away

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals