• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cb/frs/gmrs?

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I been thinking about getting a radio for camping/hiking/just out in the back roads for emergency.
I just cant seem to find what might work well.
I am thinking something in the truck and some handhelds.
CB seems to have good range, but the handhelds seem impractical.
FRS has a really short range.
GMRS seems it might be better but every one needs a license.
I thought about a cell booster, but that does not help unless you are in the truck.

Anyone have any thoughts?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have both a cb and carry a pair of the small frs handhelds as well. you can get them all and an antenna for the cb for under $100.
cb is great for the roads and trails. frs is nice for hiking, fishing, camping, etc. with friends/family where everyone is within a mile or two of each other.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have two FRS/GMRS and it seems thy work for 2 blocks and that's it. I have taking them when boating too call back to camp there pointless. Do I just have a bad set?

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
these unit is good too

23827_403005357812_551172812_4961333_6700128_n.jpg

cobra 29 lt.jpg

Last edited:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Cobra 29 Army Edition ($70 on sale) and a Wilson 2000 trucker antenna... great setup, routinely get 6+ miles of transmit out of it, haven't had the chance to test further but I know I can do it.

If you're going to get a CB, don't skimp on the antenna...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have two FRS/GMRS and it seems thy work for 2 blocks and that's it. I have taking them when boating too call back to camp there pointless. Do I just have a bad set?
If you want good range on FRS, you do need good quality radios (I know there's a lot of cheap crap ones out there lol). I would expect to spend at minimum $60-80 on a pair of good-name radios. Such radios should easily go 10 or more miles if you're within line-of-sight of each other. If there's obstructions in between though, the range will be considerable shorter.

CB is typically good up to about 10 miles mobile-to-mobile provided there's no interference on the channel. The range is much greater if you're talking mobile to a fixed base station with a high antenna. Don't bother with handheld CBs though, I've never seen one that worked worth a damn when used as a handheld.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you want good range on FRS, you do need good quality radios (I know there's a lot of cheap crap ones out there lol). I would expect to spend at minimum $60-80 on a pair of good-name radios. Such radios should easily go 10 or more miles if you're within line-of-sight of each other. If there's obstructions in between though, the range will be considerable shorter.

CB is typically good up to about 10 miles mobile-to-mobile provided there's no interference on the channel. The range is much greater if you're talking mobile to a fixed base station with a high antenna. Don't bother with handheld CBs though, I've never seen one that worked worth a damn when used as a handheld.
That might be the problem i live in a hilly forested area. the FRS I have are Motorola talk about there were not cheap.

I think i might go and get a SSB CB and see how it works around here, but it really does not solve my hiking radios.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That might be the problem i live in a hilly forested area. the FRS I have are Motorola talk about there were not cheap.

I think i might go and get a SSB CB and see how it works around here, but it really does not solve my hiking radios.
Just thinking outloud here... but is there such a thing as a CB repeater? Something you could setup at your home to help bounce CB radio signals around? :icon_confused:

We have them for our business band farm radios, and with the two repeaters about 10 miles apart, we can use handheld two ways about 10 miles away from any repeater... We can use the pickup and tractor mounted ones about 30 miles away...

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Just thinking outloud here... but is there such a thing as a CB repeater? Something you could setup at your home to help bounce CB radio signals around? :icon_confused:

We have them for our business band farm radios, and with the two repeaters about 10 miles apart, we can use handheld two ways about 10 miles away from any repeater... We can use the pickup and tractor mounted ones about 30 miles away...
I am guessing not, since FFC says you can talk farther than 155.3 miles. I think it was.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am guessing not, since FFC says you can talk farther than 155.3 miles. I think it was.
Ah... I'd read about that somewhere... I think that crap is in my Cobra 29's manual.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ah... I'd read about that somewhere... I think that crap is in my Cobra 29's manual.
I know it stupid how are you going to stop the transmissions from going that far?

anyone know whats a good SSB CB and Antenna combo?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know it stupid how are you going to stop the transmissions from going that far?

anyone know whats a good SSB CB and Antenna combo?
Its not about stopping the signal... there has been numerous reports about those pushy asshats determining where someone is transmitting from, tracking them down and fining them for it... they just listen to stuff and figure out where signals are coming and going.

Cobra GTL 148 has SSB I believe, not sure on its quality or anything, but it is a Cobra...

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Galaxy makes a good SSB.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in canada, there are laws regarding transmit strength, none about signal distance...

honestly, get a ham license, and a vhf radio, or a uhf, i've got a uhf handheld in my truck (need a ham license, but i don't have one) frs and gmrs radios work within the uhf band, so with a uhf radio, you can talk to frs/gmrs radios, with much higher transmit power, most uhf radios (base unit) are transmitting at about 50 watts, handheld are between 2 and 7watts, (mine is 4) and your frs/gmrs radios are absolute max 1... typically they are in the 500mW range (1/2 watt)

vhf and uhf typically have repeaters in your area, with a good radio, you can reach a repeater 50+miles away... and depending on the repeater, you can actually make phone calls from your radio...

most repeaters have SOMEONE listening to them, so if you get into trouble, you can transmit an SOS for anyone to help, worst case scenario, someone will pick up the signal, and call 911 for you

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
in canada, there are laws regarding transmit strength, none about signal distance...

honestly, get a ham license, and a vhf radio, or a uhf, i've got a uhf handheld in my truck (need a ham license, but i don't have one) frs and gmrs radios work within the uhf band, so with a uhf radio, you can talk to frs/gmrs radios, with much higher transmit power, most uhf radios (base unit) are transmitting at about 50 watts, handheld are between 2 and 7watts, (mine is 4) and your frs/gmrs radios are absolute max 1... typically they are in the 500mW range (1/2 watt)

vhf and uhf typically have repeaters in your area, with a good radio, you can reach a repeater 50+miles away... and depending on the repeater, you can actually make phone calls from your radio...

most repeaters have SOMEONE listening to them, so if you get into trouble, you can transmit an SOS for anyone to help, worst case scenario, someone will pick up the signal, and call 911 for you
As far as i understand GMRS is not covered by a HAM license. so to talk on GMRS band you have to get a separate license its pretty stupid I think.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals