• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear brakes locking up when rainy or cold outside?

Tribefan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question. It seems like when it's wet outside, and sometimes when it's cold, the rear drum brakes on my FX4 want to lock up with very little pedal pressure for the first few minutes of driving. It also seems to happen when driving on the freeway for a while (15+ mins) and it's wet. Is this normal? Is this just a normal thing with rear drum brakes? I have never had this issue with any other vehicles I've owned before, so I just want to make sure I'm not driving on a possibly dangerous malfunction.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mine does it. I figure it is nothing to worry about becuase I know there are other poeple on here who have this problem too. I just ignore it and use the brakes lightly at first. Mine only does it for the first few stops, I have to go through a few stop signs before I am out of the nieghbor hood, so it is not a problem for me.

At freeway speeds though, that would probably be scary...

Joe400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah.. i go through the same stop sign about twice a week, wheels locked up in the rear. especially when its cold out. its fine after i use them once or twice though

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Common problem with rear drum brakes. The pads absorb moisture and swell. What used to need travel to touch are now sitting right on the drum. Hit the brakes and squeal thru the stop.

Happened a LOT on my 2001 Ranger. Not so much on my B2, I think because the rears on the Ranger actually worked well, but the brakes on the rear of the B2 don't self adjust well.

Moved to proper forum.

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
yep happend on both my rangers, make a hell of a sound till they loosen/warm up though, little bit scary. :scare:

Tribefan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reassurance guys. Glad to know it's normal, I suppose. I wish it had rear discs now.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, has something to do with the linings (OEM and Raybestos linings seem to do it. Not sure maybe Bendix might be better).

I deal with it by riding the parking brake for a block or two, then it's fine.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
mine does the same. doesn't really matter what brand of linings i use.

gnardoom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Thats easy to fix. the alignment guy says its because the shoes arent adjusted right and they have to reach too far before hitting the drum and the moisture makes them bind and lock, old shoes or brakes in shitty condition will do it too. i used to skid down the hill at the end of my driveway every morning too until i put in new brakes and adjusted them proper it has not done it in 6 months no matter how wet they are.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've tried adjusting mine, no workie (I always made sure to grease the adjusters too when I did the brakes, they were working properly each time I checked them).

gnardoom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
try new shoes, good ones have the lining riveted on, not glued. I got mine from ford since shoes are cheap to begin with. if you have new shoes then I dont know what it is, maybe drums

Last edited:

Trigger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My right front wheel locks up all the time when it rains, I believe mine is from a warped rotor. My caliper on that brake is cocked and I can not straighten it, so I figure warped! I ordered to rotors from the zone and will get them today so I'll put them on this weekend and see what happens.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
My right front wheel locks up all the time when it rains, I believe mine is from a warped rotor. My caliper on that brake is cocked and I can not straighten it, so I figure warped! I ordered to rotors from the zone and will get them today so I'll put them on this weekend and see what happens.
if the caliper is not inline with the rotor, new rotors is not going to solve the problem.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
try new shoes, good ones have the lining riveted on, not glued. I got mine from ford since shoes are cheap to begin with. if you have new shoes then I dont know what it is, maybe drums
Its is due to a moisture problem, with ford shoes or otherwise. They absorb moisture overnight and swell a bit, causing them to lock up on the first couple applications till the heat dissipates the moisture. We see it all the time in our climate at the dealership i wrench at.

Trigger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if the caliper is not inline with the rotor, new rotors is not going to solve the problem.
Like I said I cannot get the caliper inline and seeing how it's a NEW caliper the next step is to change the rotor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals