1989-1992 Ford Ranger Headlamp Moisture Repair

 

Original Poster: MagnaV30

Difficulty: 1 out of 10

Time to Repair: 1 – 2 Hours (mostly spent on lens removal)

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Tools Needed:

  • Wedge / Screwdriver / other small pry tool
  • Polyurethane sealant
  • Rags
  • Metal polish
  • Electrical tape
  • Patience

After a while I have noticed that a few Gen 2’s have developed a condensation issue inside the headlamps due to a leaking seal between the refractor lens and the reflector housing.

So, lets fix that shall we?

The problem:

Okay, so we must separate the Refractor from the reflector.

Some may have done this by baking in the oven, however, on the gen 2 the entire headlamp assembly is constructed of plastic for the reflector and polycarbonate for the refractor. Not feeling the need to end up with a bubbled shapeless mass, I simply used and infinite (or infinite small) amount of patience, and pried the components apart.

Well, There’s your problem!

Chipping off the “sealant”

Much better

Might as well polish the lens while you have it off.

Now, fill the nice convenient channel with sealant, I used a polyurethane produced by DAP available at most hardware stores.

And now put humpty dumpty back together again.

Now use some tape to exert some clamping force for the curing of the sealant.

I rate this project with a difficulty of “Very little blood loss”