• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ny state window tint ticket.. need you 2 cents

chadmilliser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok today i was driving home and passed a cop . then went to a store and when i came out i noticed he was trying to hide on me .. it was 9 at night . so i drove 1 mile and got pulled over .. got a window tint ticket ! window tint is like 3 months old and i know i ordered 20 front 80 rear ... well i said to him were his reader was and he pulled it from his pocket.. go fig.. so he put it on there and he said it was 31 % I see ny state law is 70 % i think but who sells tint thats 31.. also the window was dirty ,,, o and he also told me my brake lights were dim !! they work fine to me ..

as soon as he seen my licence he knew who i was somhow..

i want to clean my windows and fight the ticket as i payed good money to have it tinted .. what should i do . also he was like you cant see inside a car . it was 9 at night ..

help

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First step for me would be take it somewhere else and have the tint checked and make sure it is at 20%. If it is, get a certified statement and/or find another cop and have it checked with his machine. If it is over 20% take it back to the folks who did the tint and make 'em do it over. Get them to write something saying you ordered 20% but they screwed up, it's been redone and all is legal now. They should throw that out of court...

And he acted like he knew you because he probably ran the plate and had all kinds of info on you before he ever pulled you over- just guessing on that one

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I have seen people get pulled over for FACTORY tint. Your best bet is just to scrape the crap off, make sure that the brake lights have the correct bulbs in them and get their brightness verified. You also aren't supposed to have the smoked covers over them, if you have them, pull them off. Fighting the ticket just because you want to keep your tint is pointless, you will keep getting tickets for it.

Last edited:

chadmilliser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the tint you can see threw it ...easy i used to have dark on but took it off and got legal tink on .. you can hardly tell its tinted

chadmilliser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so what do i do scrape the tint .. box it and mail it to the judge !:icon_confused:

ive been pulled over lots of times and this have never come up ..

chadmilliser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
also tail lights are led..bright ! he asked me why the blinkers flash fast.. i was like there leds ! and ive got a towing blinker box to slow the blinker down .

i got home and said to my wife.. well they took another law breaker off the streets tonight .

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Is this a cop bashing thread?

Look dude, get your tint checked by a shop, and challenge the ticket in traffic court....IF it is indeed legal.

We need more cops like that out there, getting the "rice burners" off the road.

I bought my car from a person in Indiana, and it came with tinted windows, so if I get stopped here in IL, no doubt the tint is coming off.

chadmilliser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no ny state law is 70 percent light threw .. mine was a 69 percent . 1 percent over .. my windows are dirty. im not bashing them ,, im totally legal. he wasted lets see 30 mins hiding out on me ... so i could order food at the store just to pull out and get nailed to for .. nothing . he said the law was 100 percent. just got mine put on by a pro place that knows the laws also. they will just drop it in court and waste my time and theres .But what is the law.. trust me cops do not know the different between a shot gun from a ny state legal ak 47 around here.

rice burner.... its a 1995 ford ranger splash thats got a mild lift and mud tires got my american flag on the back window also ..and yes it has led lights in it due to the fact there alot cheaper and brighter than oem lights

its not no 1994 honda si with 13 inch tires and made by ching and chong .

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Just save your self the hassle and peel the tint, much easier then trying to fight it in court, go back to the shop that you bought it from and see if they will put a lighter tint on it.

But just sitting there and saying "my windows where dirty" isn't going to cut it.

The law here in TN. when it is enforced, they use your drivers licenses to check it, if they cant read it and see your picture, then it's too dark, plane and simple.

I don't mean to sound like a ass, but there are laws for a reason.

Robert

chadmilliser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
were he put his reader on the top was dirty. because i have rain deflectors and the car wash does not get under there you know..

i thought it was funny because i have rims and tires that hang out from the truck like 3 inches . but dim break lites . when i hit the brakes i can see them shine on the road and they did .

im going to buy a super bright led light for the rear end.. and yes i will peal the tint because well its 20 percent and almost like no tint there..

it was so funny i never stand up for my self and when he told me the tint was dark .. i was like weres the meter and he already had it .. he was only inback of me and it was dark out . there like boy scotts caring there suplys.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You must be illegal or the cop would not have pulled you over. Many state laws say what the window tint is allowed but not Limo tint..it is illegal. I have never been pulled over with my tint and the cops here are bad on tint!!!

Good luck.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i get pulled over for factory tint all the time around here......funny thing is in NJ i can black the back windows out as much as i want but the front 3 can have NO tint on the windows

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
mine was a 69 percent . 1 percent over .. my windows are dirty.
Okay, then you are guilty, pay the ticket and KEEP YOUR WINDOWS CLEAN. Dirty tinted windows are like taillights/license plates, they need to be kept clear and readable.

Also I really don't like tint on my front door windows, especially at night you have to be extra cautious.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
i get pulled over for factory tint all the time around here......funny thing is in NJ i can black the back windows out as much as i want but the front 3 can have NO tint on the windows
that is because, if you put a camper shell, or a work bed on, most back windows get covered up, as long as you have both doors mirrors it's OK, here in TN. I can spray paint the back window Black, or any other color .and it is OK on a truck.

Robert

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
NJ tint law:

If you have both outside mirrors, any window behind the drivers head can be as dark as you want.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals