• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 efi help

BrandonSchimpf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Im trying to figure out how to wire my 5.0 harness to the ranger chassis harness, it is a 1993 engine outta of a cougar, so its the tpi or whatever harness, and i was wondering if i can just skip all the emissions crap. I tried and my electrical skills suck, any help would be much appretiated, thanks

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Im trying to figure out how to wire my 5.0 harness to the ranger chassis harness, it is a 1993 engine outta of a cougar, so its the tpi or whatever harness, and i was wondering if i can just skip all the emissions crap. I tried and my electrical skills suck, any help would be much appretiated, thanks
The search window in the upper right side is your best friend here for now. :headbang:

BrandonSchimpf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ok another question would it be easier to use a older mustang wiring with a non tpi unit and is the speed sensor on the tranny very important?

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
You can make any of the harnesses work on a 5.0 or HO,
What I would do is just add the extra 2 injectors power and ground , and extend or shorten the 4.0 mass air harness individual wires for the each systems so you can keep it simple to trouble shoot , and everything lays like it belongs.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
You can make any of the harnesses work on a 5.0 or HO,
What I would do is just add the extra 2 injectors power and ground , and extend or shorten the 4.0 mass air harness individual wires for the each systems so you can keep it simple to trouble shoot , and everything lays like it belongs.
I haven't looked at the schematic for his truck or donor engine, but he may have to switch some wires around in the connector for the computer?

BrandonSchimpf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ok i kinda understand, can i just hok my engine harnesses hots up to an aux switch and run it off of that, and can you give me an idea of how you used your 92 thunderbird wiring, thanks im in a jam and look at it all and get confused, i have a feeling i am over thinking what i am doing

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Not to sound like a broken record, but...

I would recommend parting with $75 hard earned dollars. Go to ebay, buy an EVTM for a '93 Ranger, and an EVTM for a '93 Cougar.

Then go here
http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/
and spend $25 for a swap manual for a 1993 Ranger. It spells out exactly how and where to connect a 1993 Mustang harness to your truck.

Then go to www.veryuseful.com and www.fordfuelinjection.com to find free EVTM pages for Mustangs of all years. Which you will use to compare to the diagrams in the EVTM for your Cougar.

BrandonSchimpf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well i wouldnt say a bro0ken record but a great help, that should help me out alot, thanks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

BrandonSchimpf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
MY ranger originally had a 4L:)

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
You may have to swap a couple of pins if you use your existing harness and add the needed leads for the injectors , but most of the fords have the same pin doing the same thing.
Biggest difference I have found is in the Speed Density over Mass Air .

When I do my HO 5.0 swap I will use the 4.0 harness and add what I need.
Reason being is Mustang harnesses are getting harder to find , most are hacked and the seller wants way too much money.
The Ford Motorsport harness is a very nice piece but harder to find .
You can adapt any SD harness to Mass Air by adding the corresponding plug and wiring.

BrandonSchimpf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
so my plan is to go with the 4.0 wiring onto the 5.0 engine. MY main problem is wondering what to do with the ignition, the 4.0 has the coil pack and the 5.0 has the distributor, and what ignition coil do i go with, any help or anything would be great, thanks Brandon

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
run a sefi harness from a fullsize van. easier to hack.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
so my plan is to go with the 4.0 wiring onto the 5.0 engine. MY main problem is wondering what to do with the ignition, the 4.0 has the coil pack and the 5.0 has the distributor, and what ignition coil do i go with, any help or anything would be great, thanks Brandon
Is the 4.0 batch fire or something? You may spend more time trying to make a 4.0 harness work than using a 5.0 harness.

Coil? Another good reason to use a 5.0 harness from a similar type vehicle as the donor engine came from. Why do I like to use an engine harness from the donor vehicle? Because it's simple and clean. All of the wiring on the engine will already be the correct length. Mine had external TFI, but even that wasn't a problem because I didn't have to touch those wires. Most of the wiring for the engine will come from the 60 pin connector from the donor vehicle. This leaves you to finding constant 12V, switched 12V, hot in start and run 12V, and some gauge and transmission wires... which all exist in your truck already. The harness I made from the '92 T-bird used all of the engine wiring harness, which ran to the factory square shaped disconnect plugs. Most of the wiring on the other side of the connectors connected to the 60 pin connector, and a few of them spliced into the original ranger wiring. It's one of those things that's a lot simpler to do that what I can explain it if that makes sense?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals