Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Heating & Air Conditioning

Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
RangerSon

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RangerSon is on a distinguished road
Question 1996 Ford Ranger 2.3L - no heat - cannot locate heater control valve

I was wondering if anyone here could help me out here. My son got a 1996 Ford Ranger 2.3L from his friend in great running condition (99,500 miles) except that it doesnít warm up when the engine is hot. It was sitting for approx. 6 months only being started once every two weeks during the summer and fall months for a few minutes before he got it. Being colder now here in PA he is driving it, but asked me if I could check it out. First thing I did was replace the thermostat and anti-freeze thinking this may be the problem, but that would be to easy of course. The hoses do get hot after about almost 10 minutes of running. One thing I was surprised at it has a clutch fan and not electrically controlled. Not having A/C it isnít as complex as my car to work on. I was trying to locate the heater valve to see if that may be stuck, but I could not locate it anywhere. The heater hoses look like to go from the core to the engine and stat housing only. I pulled the glove compartment down and noticed when I turn the heater control from cold to hot there is a cable control and I can here a door shut (maybe the blend door?). At this point I think I guess I will flush the system to see what happens. If anyone knows if this model even has a heater control valve could you let me know and where it would be located? Also since it has a cable control instead that sounds like a door is shutting when turned instead of electric does it even have a blend door? By the way I am not real familiar with Fordís if you couldnít tell by now. Any other suggestions that may resolve this would be great.
RangerSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
v8318cid

Vehicle Year: 2010
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Occasional DD
v8318cid is on a distinguished road

Odd, I was under the impression that the temp control changed to eletrical operation in 95. If its cable driven, I would suspect it has been modified, though I can't confirm that. Either way, if there is no h-valve with a vacuum line attached connecting the heater hoses by the firewall, it most-likely doesn't have one. My advice would be to check both heater hoses at the firewall once the truck is warmed up. If there is a temperature difference of more than a few degrees, I would suspect a plugged core.
v8318cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
hondaxr650

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
hondaxr650 will become famous soon enough

I was under the impression that they were all electric too, I don't see many non-a/c equipped rangers. According to the Ford manual, the non-a/c trucks do have cable operated blend doors. If you can hear it clunking back and forth when turning the knob, it's probably working and isn't likely to be your problem. I'd be looking for a plugged core also.
hondaxr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
IRKillroy

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: everything
IRKillroy is on a distinguished road

um, have you thought about checking the lines going to and from the heater core???

maybe disconnect them and see if fluid is in the line... I've had some lines get clogged at one end from rust and other crap and then there is no flow. Give that a shot instead of tearing everything apart to look for a valve. Keep it simple stupid!!!

it's similar to trouble shoot an electrical problem for days only to find out you have a dead battery/corroded terminal.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
marprts

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger with standard cab
I use this vehicle for: Transportation and moving items.
marprts is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry

Sorry to see such a young man go. He really didn't have much to enjoy on this earth. Hopefully he's in a better place though and enjoying his time.
marprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marprts View Post
Sorry to see such a young man go. He really didn't have much to enjoy on this earth. Hopefully he's in a better place though and enjoying his time.
^^Umm, what? Reading comprehension FTL.

Napa lists a heater control valve for that truck, so I'm assuming it's supposed to have one. Part # 660-1294.

That being said, I don't think that would cause a no-heat situation. The valve just prevents coolant from going through the heater core when you DON'T want heat. Since you don't have a valve, that means coolant is going through the heater core all the time, so you should have heat. I would disconnect the hoses from the core and blast water through it and make sure it's clear. I would also make sure the linees are clear like IRKillroy said. If those things seem to be working ok, then the engine must not be getting up to temp. Check thermostat and fan clutch.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote