Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
98Longbed

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
98Longbed is on a distinguished road
Default Truck is dead. Anti-theft problem?

98 Ranger will not start. Turning key gets nothing. No dash lites. Nothing.
Pretty sure it's not the battery but am getting it tested to verify.
The anti-theft device on my truck is a small elctrical slot on the dash below the sterring column with a chipkey (that's what I call it) inserted in it.
The not starting sympton is acting exactly like what would happen with the chipkey out. There are also 2 LED's on this elrctrical slot that flash.
I've Googled everything I can think of and can find no info.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 98Longbed; 11-26-2010 at 09:23 AM.
98Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
mhughes165

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: crawling over jeeps
mhughes165 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mhughes165

sometimes the pats systems go wonkey on these, ususally its just as simple as having them reprogrammed, probably what happened here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksGetDirty View Post
Its like a real fine woman with all the STDs of the world. Sexy to look at, not fun to get into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
We don't discriminate against fags here. You like Kojak, then by gawd get some posters of balding men and wear yourself out. Just don't post pictures.
mhughes165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

If it is PATS, you are pretty much stuck with having the dealer look at it.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
98Longbed

Default Not a PATS issue, I don't think.

If I'm not mistaken PATS uses a programmed transponder key. The key to my truck is your basic key similar to what you'd use to unlock the door to your house. There are no buttons on my truck key.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
snake

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: The mighty Ranger
I use this vehicle for: cruising for chicks
snake is on a distinguished road

It isn't the factory PATS system- when it screws up you get all your lights, it just disables the starter. So even when PATS screws up, you can jump the starter with a screwdriver and it will run. Do you have headlights? The security system (aftermarket I'm assuming) shouldn't disable the headlights, so if they aren't working I'd be looking along the lines of bad battery cables or ends.
2002 XLT in wedgewood blue, 4.0 auto, 4 doors (no waiting) MP3, 3:55 limited slip rear, payload package, factory installed trailer hitch, side step bars. Built 7/31/2002, shipped 8/19/2002, purchased 9/25/2002 sold 8/2011.

2011 F-150 crewcab ecoboost twin turbo. Purchased 7/13/2011
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It isn't the factory PATS system- when it screws up you get all your lights, it just disables the starter. So even when PATS screws up, you can jump the starter with a screwdriver and it will run. Do you have headlights? The security system (aftermarket I'm assuming) shouldn't disable the headlights, so if they aren't working I'd be looking along the lines of bad battery cables or ends.
With my F-150 it will still crank with a steel dummy key, but will not start unless it has the chip...

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
mhughes165

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: crawling over jeeps
mhughes165 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mhughes165

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
idk, on my 96 mustang it wouldnt run at all without getting a key made and programmed, it wouldnt run if u jumped the starter, 125 later i was able to start my car, and oh ya, PATS doesnt have buttons on the keys, its just a chip inside the key itself on those years if im not mistaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksGetDirty View Post
Its like a real fine woman with all the STDs of the world. Sexy to look at, not fun to get into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
We don't discriminate against fags here. You like Kojak, then by gawd get some posters of balding men and wear yourself out. Just don't post pictures.
mhughes165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
98Longbed

Default Update

I found my backup chipkey and inserted in anti-theft slot. I then tried starting truck again and no start, no dash lites, radio works, dome lite works. When attempting start I had driver door open and heard clicking coming from under dash. Presume it was a relay for door cause when I closed door clicking stopped (No Shit!). I then could hear clicking coming from under hood and it was coming from the ignition switch relay in the power control module. I decided to pull battery and take for testing. Battery tested good and was charged for an hour. Re-installed battery and truck started like a dream. Battery posts were not dirty and almost zero corrosion, same for the battery cables/connecters but I wire brushed them anyways. Drove truck home, maybe a 5 minute drive, turned off motor, then restarted motor, all seems good. Taking it Monday to have electrical system tested. I also tried the original chipkey in the anti-theft slot and truck started. Your thoughts please.
FYI: Anti-theft is not aftermarket, came with the truck when I bought it new.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
ElleShooTiger

ElleShooTiger is on a distinguished road

98 Rangers didnt have PATS.

I've also never seen a factory built RBV with any slot for a chip, so whatever you have IS aftermarket, even if it was installed by a dealer. I have seen them in other cars though, but never a factory installed option.
ElleShooTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
straycat
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 02 06 and 2012
Vehicle Make: Jeeps
Vehicle Model: 02 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 06 Wrangler X 5.7 Hemi 87 Samurai 4x4 2012 Wrangler JK-8
I use this vehicle for: DD and trail rides
straycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud of

My buddy's 98 did the same dang thing three months ago. He called me and asked what to do. I told him to disconnect the battery and wait about 5 min. and then connect it back up. It started right up again. Some of my friends had their engne lights come on and I had them do the same thing and the check engine light never came back on. I figure if there was a problem it would have come back on again after awhile or come back on right away.

99 Ranger XLT 4 door Supercab lifted 2wd
33x12.5x15 KO's on 15x8 AR polished rims
Spare 33 KO mounted flat in bed/custom bed extender
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote