Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'boneshaker'
March 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'one'
March 2014 MTOTM

Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
baddad457

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: Supercab
baddad457 will become famous soon enoughbaddad457 will become famous soon enough

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but you can buy Tri-Y's in stainless on ebay now. There's also a set of Advance Adapters long tubes for a Ranger listed there now too.
baddad457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Click HERE to vote for the Mini Truck Of The Month

Click HERE to vote for the Off-Road Truck Of The Month.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
jfl1960

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dailly driver and track terror on weekends
jfl1960 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
Not sure if anyone else noticed, but you can buy Tri-Y's in stainless on ebay now. There's also a set of Advance Adapters long tubes for a Ranger listed there now too.
Yeah I looked at the SS headers and if I didn't have to mod I would have gotten them for sure, these Patriot headers came with all the hardware for $223.00 delivered to Canada, couldn't find a better deal. bought from Summit Racing if anyone is interested. As for the Advance Adapter headers I never saw a long tube design, will have to look again, can you post a part number for them? Or possibly a link if you have one. Thanks.
jfl1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #23
baddad457

baddad457 will become famous soon enoughbaddad457 will become famous soon enough

The item number is 160715483306 for the Advance Adapter headers. I went back and looked again, they're not long tubes, well one of them is (the passenger side) the driver's side is a mid length shorty. It's a buy it now listing and he's got it listed at $200
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
Scrambler82

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: DD
Scrambler82 will become famous soon enough

L&L Products has a great Header for 2X and 4x conversions.
HD all the way.
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
jfl1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
L&L Products has a great Header for 2X and 4x conversions.
HD all the way.
The L&L headers are similar in design to the Advance Adapter header, long tube on passenger and moderate length on drivers side, I prefer the long tube design on the patriot for torque, also installing mechanical dump valves, is easier to locate and operate with long tube headers in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #26
Scrambler82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfl1960 View Post
The L&L headers are similar in design to the Advance Adapter header, long tube on passenger and moderate length on drivers side, I prefer the long tube design on the patriot for torque, also installing mechanical dump valves, is easier to locate and operate with long tube headers in my opinion.
The L&L Headers are Tubular all the way.
Not a piece of pipe with pice welded on.

http://landlproducts.com/list.aspx?cID=2

Chk them out there is a nice kit for the 97 down, not sure if they will fit my 03 but I would like to know.

I did ask them and they said yes they will fit all 5.0s in 83 to present but the frame chg’d in 98 so not sure where this will go.

I hope they do fit.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #27
jfl1960

Here are some pic of the Advance Adapter Header and the L&L header previously mentioned:

Really the only dif I can see is one is a flanged header collector and the other is a slip fit in design and one set dumps to the front on drivers side, suppose that is better for 4x4 setup, I do really like the big tube primary on these headers and thicker header flanges, makes it easier to control a leak, more plate there in case you need them surfaced, but with the thinner flange like on the Patriot I will just cut the flange between exhaust posts, this allows a better seal as there is no strain between ports on the flange, problem for me is with the AA and L&L headers they don't mention fitment using an AOD trans in their descriptions (at least I didn't see anything when I was reading the application notes) and unless you running a forced induction system (Blower, turbo or a power adder like NOS or Methinol fogger also know as snow) the larger primary tubes will hurt by slowing exhaust gas flow witch in turn will reduce torque at lower RPM's but will help at higher RPM's where these little motors make their best hp, just depends where you want it, as for fit up I am sure they work fine with C4 or std with small bell housing. If using a set of mechanical dump valves it would be difficult to set-up with this configuration.

The AD headers go for about $275.00 and the L&L are around $500.00 before shipping (PRICES ARE FROM THEIR MANUFACTURER'S SITES AND MAY VARY FROM SITE TO SITE). I paid $223.00 delivered to Canada for the Patriot Tri-y headers, if they don't work out power wise I will upgrade to something better in future but for now they suit my purpose and pocketbook. With some slight mods to my Ti-y headers they fit great and I can remove them from inside the engine bay.

Here are some links to the Advanced Adapter and L&L headers for you to view

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-717044a/
http://landlproducts.com/details.asp...06&ItemID=1083

Here is a good shot of the Patriot Tri-y headers installed on a Ford Ranger V8 windsor conversion with a std and small bell housing where no mods were required to the headers, the builder took this pic with cab removed, great shot thanks, I forget which thread I got this from and sorry for not giving credit to actual owner if you see this pic and it's yours, first off thanks for posting it and please speak up so I can attach your name and a link to the picture for the original thread I got it from.

Last edited by jfl1960; 02-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
Scrambler82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfl1960 View Post
Here are some pic of the Advance Adapter Header and the L&L header previously mentioned:
Your right not much difference.
I thought AA still used the ones that looked like a piece of pipe with smaller pipes coming out to attach to the exh ports.

Sorry about that I should have looked it up.

added: I used the L&L Headers/Conversion Kit on my ’88 Ranger/5.0L conversion, it was easy and everything fell into place.
I now want to do an 03 4x4 Conversion but from everything I have seen so far Torque Monster headers are the only thing out there and they cost $750 +.
Not sure where to go. but really want to get tubular type header that fit the rails with out a lot of trimming.

Sorry for the Hy-Jack.

Last edited by Scrambler82; 02-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
baddad457

The difference in the pics posted above of the L&L and AA headers is the routing of the passenger side header. The drivers sides are almost mirror images of each other, not sure how the AA would clear the sterring box.. The AA header drops down below the starter, possibly coming into contact with the larger bellhousings, the L&L dumps above the starter, much like the Hedman 88400's do, but in a longer length header. The L&L would have a better chance of fitting a larger bell and should clear the frame better, not to mention not subjecting the starter to it's heat.

Last edited by baddad457; 02-21-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #30
baddad457

I went back and looked at the AA headers on Ebay, there's something screwy here. The pics above posted by jfl1960 are different than the ones on ebay. The driver's side appears to be reversed to each other.