Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Bulletins (Welcome, News/Announcements, Problems & Submissions) > Submit Info For Technical Articles > Submission Archive

Submission Archive Information that has been submitted and placed in either the Tech Library or On-Line Magazine.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #21
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab 4 x 4
I use this vehicle for: Putting wear and tear on my tools
97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 97RangerXLT

The original ford valve cover gaskets were metal with the rubber seal fused to it. On mine the metal was separating from the rubber and leaking. Thanks for the link. All I found was the felpro set when I did mine and they were plastic and rubber.

AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc1024 View Post
Hey - we all have to help each other. Otherwise, we'd become an S10 forum and we'd all kill ourselves.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=13474
97RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #22
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute

Just took a look at the link, that has pretty much every part that you would need for the job, but the lower intake gasket is a two peice instead of the ford OEM one piece. Not sure on how well that would work, it looks like the two pieces have to rest on the cylinder heads, I can see how they would be very easily bumped out of place when putting the intake on...

I still say get the OEM lower intake gasket from Ford...

AJ
Quote:
After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
Quote:
Hey - we all have to help each other. Otherwise, we'd become an S10 forum and we'd all kill ourselves.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #23
xentris02

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, snow crawler,mudder, teenage stuff
xentris02 is on a distinguished road

when you did the intake plennim did you need the o ring style gaskets and a long flat one to. the diagram i have shows both but the only thing you mentioned was the o ring style.
xentris02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
bilzy7

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Explorer
I use this vehicle for: daily driving, fun in the snow
bilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of light

wow, someones awesome lol.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=103611 <--- My Slow Build
bilzy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #25
Oceaneer

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT Supercab
Oceaneer is on a distinguished road

Great instructions on this procedure. This project and this thread motivated me to become a member. Just completed the job over the weekend. Went pretty smooth for the most part. Lots of labeling though.

I am experiencing a bit of an issue after the work. I seem to have a coolant leak on the front drivers side of the engine block. Its a consistent leak about a drip every 2 seconds approx. I cant seem to find the exact source without removing everything again and I have not had the time yet. I wonder if anybody has had a similar issue after they did these gaskets?

Suggestions welcome.
Oceaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #26
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentris02 View Post
when you did the intake plennim did you need the o ring style gaskets and a long flat one to. the diagram i have shows both but the only thing you mentioned was the o ring style.
Sorry I missed this earlier xentris, but if you are dealing with just the intake, all you need is the three o-ring type gaskets. (felpro sells them in a package of 6, but you only need three) if you remove the fuel rail you will need a paper one as well.

This is for the plastic upper intake, I believe the aluminum one has a paper gasket... someone correct me if I am wrong...

AJ
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #27
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilzy7 View Post
wow, someones awesome lol.
hehe Thanks Bilzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceaneer View Post
Great instructions on this procedure. This project and this thread motivated me to become a member. Just completed the job over the weekend. Went pretty smooth for the most part. Lots of labeling though.

I am experiencing a bit of an issue after the work. I seem to have a coolant leak on the front drivers side of the engine block. Its a consistent leak about a drip every 2 seconds approx. I cant seem to find the exact source without removing everything again and I have not had the time yet. I wonder if anybody has had a similar issue after they did these gaskets?

Suggestions welcome.
my guess is that you did not get enough rtv on the corners of the lower intake gasket. you need to put it on both sides of the lower intake as well..

it might seal itself up by itself, watch it for a while. if it does not, you will have to take it apart again :(

Hope this helps

AJ
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #28
Oceaneer

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT Supercab
Oceaneer is on a distinguished road

97RangerXLT,

thanks for the response. I just started to take the intakes off again, but only the upper so I dont ruin any of the new gaskets i just put in. It looks like you are right about the RTV. When i squeeze the upper rad hose I can see a little pressure come out at the mating surface at the lower intake. Looks like i just bought another set of gaskets. I am just worried that a head gasket may have gone coincidentally and I wont find out until I assemble it once more.

Thanks again I will post when i figure something out.

I had to redo the lower intake gasket. Was a little shy with the RTV. A lesson not soon to be forgotten.

On to the next job.

Last edited by Oceaneer; 09-15-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Oceaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
vedrand

Vehicle Model: Ranger
vedrand is on a distinguished road
Default Clarification and some questions

I wanted to make one clarification to this super excellent write-up.

The parts list shows the lower intake gasket as part# F7TZ-9E439-AA. Ford (as well as Google) only shows F7TZ-9439-AA as the one and only original gasket for the lower intake spot. I assume that is the actual part# -- this may already be obvious since one cannot confuse it with any other gaskets, but I wanted to mention it for accuracy and/or check if I am wrong.

Now for my questions:

1. 97rangerxlt specifically chose the OEM gasket over the others. According to Ford, this is the original version. Does it mean that it is prone to the same problem? I would think that the aftermarket ones might be preferrable over this one to eliminate the repeat problem.

2. The Ford OEM gasket does have "filled" rubber ends on one end of the gasket (as pictured in the first post). Other OEM version do not. I assume this does not affect any functionality?

3. Some (most?) aftermarket versions come in 2 pieces instead of the sort of trough-shaped one. Are there downsides to the multi-piece version? Apologies if this one has been asked before.

4. Lastly, and relating to #1 above, some aftermarket products claim to use HNBR rubber (Victor Reinz for example). It sounds like this might be better for contact with anti-freeze, but I don't see anyone else claiming this. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks!

P.S. Related to forum password reset functionality -- I have a 6 year old login that requires a password reset. However, the system cannot validate my email address (which I know I used as I have the original verification email). But then, the "contact the administrator" feature requires a valid login, so I could not do anything excepy create a new account ... any ideas?
vedrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #30
Mark_88

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Dordge
Vehicle Model: Care A Van
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
My credo: Love Thy Neighbor
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...awesome write up...now I know what I missed on mine...lol

But it looks like a big job...think I will stick with the 2.3!
1996 Ranger 2.5 (gone)

On-line manual link
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...94#post1581294
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote