Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
mdmarble

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab 4 Door
mdmarble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Pressure

I've noticed my oil pressure guage tends to do some weird things every now and then. Usually when I get off the freeway after a while, probably about 20-30 minutes of driving and I let off the gas at a stop light, once the engine goes down to idle, about 600-700 RPM my oil pressure guage starts bouncing up and down iradiclly. It's not like it slowly drops down like it should after running at a high RPM for a while, it just bounces a lot. When I got home today and had it park idling, it kept bouncing and wouldnt stop. I shut the engine off and started it again and it wouldnt do it. It dosent do this all the time, only when Ive gotten off the freeway after a while.

I've got an 02 3.0. Maybe its just the guage, IDK.

Any one with the same problems??

-Mike
mdmarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

The '02 2.3 Ranger I drive at work does that sometimes. I don't really pay much attention to it since the gauge is a stupidly-designed piece of crap anyway. The stock temp. gauge, however, I found out works very well when that same Ranger over-heated on me a few months ago.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
mikhail

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
mikhail is on a distinguished road

dont all the newer fords have dummy guages? i know my aunts explorer does, its like an 05 though but when you start it the oil pressure guage goes right up to the middle lol. i wouldnt trust any of the newer guages, they all stay in the same place unless something is really wrong, like your motor is about to throw a rod, then itll show no pressure
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
exbass94

exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

ALL Ranger's oil pressure gauges are dummy gauges, along with probably every other Ford vehicle from the 80's and newer. Newer Rangers (like my 2006) don't even have the oil pressure gauge anymore. The only gauges I have are speedo, tach, gas, and temp. I think it's only the oil pressure gauges in the older trucks that don't work, the other gauges (temp, volts, tach, etc.) seem to work well. I want to eventually add an oil pressure gauge and a tranny temp gauge to my truck.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
mdmarble

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab 4 Door
mdmarble is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbass94 View Post
ALL Ranger's oil pressure gauges are dummy gauges, along with probably every other Ford vehicle from the 80's and newer. Newer Rangers (like my 2006) don't even have the oil pressure gauge anymore. The only gauges I have are speedo, tach, gas, and temp. I think it's only the oil pressure gauges in the older trucks that don't work, the other gauges (temp, volts, tach, etc.) seem to work well. I want to eventually add an oil pressure gauge and a tranny temp gauge to my truck.
Whats a "dummy guage?" Is it just a poorly designed guage that dosent really work, or is it just there to make the customer feel more confident and trustworthy in their vehicle, or a combonation of the two. One thing I have noticed is it does never budge. When I give it gas the oil pressure dosent go up, I've always thought it should go up a little. What the other guy said about starting your tuck and the guage going right up to the middle. Shouldnt it slowly rise to like a high center, and then drop back down once the engine is warm? I've noticed with my boat, I have a 6DLP-DTE Yanmar diesel in it, and my oil pressure slowly rises up to 40, and then drops to 20lbs once the engine is running warm. This is what a true oil guage should be, right?
mdmarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Danger FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: FX4 Ranger
Danger FX4 Ranger is on a distinguished road

You probably need an oil pressure sending unit. My 2000 Ranger Sport needed one while it was still under warranty. The gauge would shoot up to normal, drop off, then pick back up.

2006 crew cab XLT 4x4 F150: 5.4 V8, 3.55 LS, leveling kit, 285/70/17 BFG A/T's, Flowmaster 40 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgeorge4x4 View Post
beat that toilet
Danger FX4 Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
exbass94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmarble View Post
Whats a "dummy guage?" Is it just a poorly designed guage that dosent really work, or is it just there to make the customer feel more confident and trustworthy in their vehicle, or a combonation of the two. One thing I have noticed is it does never budge. When I give it gas the oil pressure dosent go up, I've always thought it should go up a little. What the other guy said about starting your tuck and the guage going right up to the middle. Shouldnt it slowly rise to like a high center, and then drop back down once the engine is warm? I've noticed with my boat, I have a 6DLP-DTE Yanmar diesel in it, and my oil pressure slowly rises up to 40, and then drops to 20lbs once the engine is running warm. This is what a true oil guage should be, right?
Yea, the "dummy gauge" will just sit right in the middle if the oil pressure is above 6 psi or so, which is why it's useless. Only if it drops below 6 psi, the gauge will go right to zero. It should fluctuate as the engine warms up and with rpm and such as you described. The dummy gauge does the same thing as a "check oil" warning light, and older Rangers had both, which is pretty redundant. I guess that's why Ford finally got rid of the gauge in the newer trucks.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Danger-Ranger96

Vehicle Year: 2010
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX4
I use this vehicle for: Everything
Danger-Ranger96 is on a distinguished road

my 96 did it since the summer, ****in oil pressure guage sending unit didnt fix it either. It's since bounced so much that its stuck UNDERNEATH the pin it sits on at L, so it doesn't bounce anymore, its stuck underneath heh.

2008 F-250 Lariat..Traded for a 2010 FX4 Ranger 5 spd!
Danger-Ranger96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
BlackBII
Cheaf of Grammor Poleace

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Getting irritated
BlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud ofBlackBII has much to be proud of

Mine in my 90' BII will bounce like crazy at a stop light in netral when just idling, so does my other BII.....Dummy Gauge.....
Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
mossyoak03

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt
I use this vehicle for: DD/Muddin
mossyoak03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mossyoak03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger FX4 Ranger View Post
You probably need an oil pressure sending unit. My 2000 Ranger Sport needed one while it was still under warranty. The gauge would shoot up to normal, drop off, then pick back up.
thats what i was going to say