Serving 1984-1990 Ford Bronco II Owners & Enthusiasts

Home Library Bronco II's For Sale Bronco II Gallery B2C Shirts & Decals The Ranger Station

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > Bronco II & Explorer Specific

Bronco II & Explorer Specific Also check out our Bronco II section at the BroncoIICorral

Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Spitfire1975

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
Spitfire1975 is a jewel in the roughSpitfire1975 is a jewel in the roughSpitfire1975 is a jewel in the roughSpitfire1975 is a jewel in the rough

That's pretty low vacuum from I understand. Should hold steady between ~19-22 in. Not saying it is the cause of your problems, but also not necessarily good.
Spitfire1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & show your support? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Share it HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
97fordrunner

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Weekend Wheeler
97fordrunner will become famous soon enough

there is a minor exhaust leak in the drivers side manifold. Low Vacuum=Low Compression?

Build Thread

"since we didn't know what to do, we sat down and did nothing" - James May, Top Gear BBC

Ranger Militia Member
97fordrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

You probably have done so but go through and check all your wires and connectors pull the connectors apart to inspect and put them back together with dielectric grease and make sure all the pins are all the way in. check all the vacuum lines for cracks TB and EGR gaskets and intake manifold bolts are tite. The vacuum is way low hence the map code once the wires and vacuum issue is addressed and you fix the codes as they come up lower numbers first then erase the memory first the disconnect the batt for 1/2 hour. Then you need to run the engine at medium speeds until the engine reaches operating temp and run the codes hot. There is probably nothing wrong with the computer first lose the map code then address the next in line one at a time one sensor can throw multiple codes and always reset the computer whenever you change or clean a sensor to set the new values.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
adsm08
I like Oreos

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Spitfire is right, that is kind low for vacuum, and since you have a vacuum driven pressure regulator low vacuum will simulate a higher than actual throttle position, thus causing it to dump fuel.

Low vacuum doesn't always mean low compression, but that is one possible cause. I would suspect intake gaskets, bad vac lines, or even a bad brake booster before I tear into the engine. A compression test isn't out of order at this point however.

I'm also interested in your two temperature sensors that are out of range. I don't have diagram handy, but I think those two sensor share a ground somewhere. But then again on an 89 it could just be two bad sensors.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
kimcrwbr1

kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

Put your hand over the TB when it is running and see if the vacuum reading goes up will tell you if you have a vacuum leak somewhere the best way I have found to find a leak is tape a soft piece of wire to the end of a vacuum hose about three feet long leaving the end of the hose open. Stick the hose up to your ear and search around all the gaskets and hoses listening for leaks you will hear a hissing noise when you get close and can bend the wire to reach tite places but I am guessing either throttle body or egr gasket loose or needs replaced and yea the brake booster can have a internal leak push on the brake and see if the engine reacts or pull and plug the vac to it. If the compression is even focus on the intake in the tech library it tells you how to read the vacuum guage scroll down close to the bottom. It says 17-21 at an idle but the 2.9 should be at least 19 if the valves and rings are good.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
kimcrwbr1

Sorry abut the egr you dont have one but put a new PCV valve in it if you havent and is the door on the air cleaner housing working properly could be the IAT code and if the engine is not up to temp for the ECT code.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
97fordrunner

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Weekend Wheeler
97fordrunner will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the great info. I am gonna put it to use tomorrow night hopefully!! Thanks again

Build Thread

"since we didn't know what to do, we sat down and did nothing" - James May, Top Gear BBC

Ranger Militia Member
97fordrunner is offline   Reply With Quote