Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
nomoredan

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
nomoredan is on a distinguished road
Default Ranger p0171 help - shop cant fix it

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger 4cyl 2.3L motor. It has about 104,000 mi on it and it has been maintained quite well since I've had it (bought it when it had 80k).

Recently it broke down on the high way. It sputtered in idle and would stop, when I would get running to move forward it would only do so for a short period of time and then die. I ran an OBD II on it from the Autozone across the street and 2 codes came up P0171 and I forget what the other one was (should have written it down I know). I changed the fuel filter out thinking it might be a fuel problem but it did not work. I had the vehicle towed to a shop where they replace the MAF sensor. The shop tested the vehicle with the new MAF sensor and the MAF shorted out. They then put a new computer in the truck (new one with the correct software from the ford website) and an additional MAF sensor.

As soon as I drove it out of the shop the check engine light came on again. I took it back and the code P0171 showed up again (and was the only code). He said it might be due to the very cold weather (Chicago area). He said to bring it back if it still has problems.

I've already spent $650 getting it fixed.

The truck ran fine for about 150 miles and now it is doing the same thing again. The mechanic checked the truck and said the fuel pressure was right. What could this possibly be?
nomoredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Dragonclaw

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford Ranger
Vehicle Model: Std Cab XLT
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
Dragonclaw is on a distinguished road

Check your vacuum and PCV hoses. Vacuum Hose Guide

Also have you changed the O2 sensors? I believe this is supposed to be done at 100k Miles.
Dragonclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
rurouni20xx

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Everything
rurouni20xx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rurouni20xx

did they tell you what p0171 was? its a code it means something once you kno what i translates to you can start from there.
rurouni20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
SMTGREG

Vehicle Year: 1965
Vehicle Make: MGB
SMTGREG is on a distinguished road

P0171 is the o2 sensor is indicating a lean condition. It could be a Vacuum leak. Exhaust leak before the 02 sensor, Bad 02 or MAF sensor including wireing. Low fuel pressure or volume. Are there any modifications to the truck? You say It's doing the same thing. Does that mean it's not running or running very bad. Try disconnecting the battery for 5 min and restart. Does it still run bad, Light come on? Another thing to try is disconnect the MAF then restart the truck. Does it run better?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
rockwerks

Vehicle Year: 1994 mazda b400
Vehicle Make: 1996 Jeep chero
rockwerks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTGREG View Post
P0171 is the o2 sensor is indicating a lean condition. It could be a Vacuum leak. Exhaust leak before the 02 sensor, Bad 02 or MAF sensor including wireing. Low fuel pressure or volume. Are there any modifications to the truck? You say It's doing the same thing. Does that mean it's not running or running very bad. Try disconnecting the battery for 5 min and restart. Does it still run bad, Light come on? Another thing to try is disconnect the MAF then restart the truck. Does it run better?
found this:
Quote:

Code Po171 indicates a lean condition on cylinder bank #1 of the engine. On your Expedition this is the drivers side of the engine. I don't know what your mechanics have already done, but I would suggest replacing both front oxygen sensors as a pair to start. An oxygen sensor has a life span of about 5 years and yours are now 9 years old if they are original. When they get older they are slow to respond to changes in the oxygen content of the exhaust and can trigger a code Po171. If you continue to have the same code set after the replacement of both oxygen sensors then it is time to find out why your engine is running lean. Some of the most common causes are an ignition misfire and a vacuum leak. I have also seen Fords EGR flow sensor (known by Ford as Delta Pressure Feedback sensor) to cause problems like that as well. A good mechanic with a scan tool can usually spot a problem like that in a few minutes.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote