Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
MARK96SVT

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
MARK96SVT is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to remove the 3.0 clutch fan

Hey I have a electric fan and thermostat ready to be installed on my 3.0. Do I need to remove my water pump to get the clutch fan off? How did you guys do it?
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Wicked_Sludge

Vehicle Model: Ranger, Flareside
I use this vehicle for: Attracting the ladies
Wicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_Sludge

there is a special tool for holding the pulley still while you crank on the fan clutch.

if you dont ever plan on switching back to your mechanical fan, you can always use a saws-all on it. i wouldnt recommend this however because you wont be able to put the mechanical fan back on after you discover the electric fan isnt sufficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnsb2 View Post
Dyno sheet or GTFO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Dave (B25) View Post
The call was for scantily-clad women. A Certificate of Boob Authenticity was NOT specified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Imahara
I'm not sure if we have the right stuff; I'm just hoping we don't have the wrong stuff.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Last edited by Wicked_Sludge : Today at 09:16 PM.
Wicked_Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
Mutant Pony

Vehicle Year: 1977
Vehicle Model: Pinto
I use this vehicle for: Mud racing/trails
Mutant Pony will become famous soon enough

I recently made my own tool which works better than all the factory made one that I've tried.
I prefer a clutch over an electric. clutches do go bad with age but, they are more dependable than the electric ones. A properly functioning clutch does not use a considerable amount of torque or h.p.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
oldmantruck

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: daily driver
oldmantruck is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this will help you or not, but you can try putting a ratchet in the tensioner as if you were changing the belt, but instead of looseing , tighten the belt enough to hold the water pump pulley, then yank quickly in which ever direction it tells you to on the fan shroud. ( I'm assuming the 3.0 will tell you there any way, it is listed on the 4.0) I've never taken the fan off that way, but I have loosened the bolts for a water pump pulley that way on a different truck
oldmantruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

The fan clutch tool costs like $15 from Performance Tool. It's simply not worth F'n around.

And I strongly recommend against using electric fans on vehicles that weren't designed for it. Almost to an item, vehicles designed for electric fans come with larger radiators with respect to their displacements (for instance, all three of my vehicles came with about the same size radiator from the factory, though the Prizm has less than half the displacement of the other two).

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
arrabil

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
arrabil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Almost to an item, vehicles designed for electric fans come with larger radiators with respect to their displacements
I put a 4.0l radiator and a good electric fan on the 2.9l and the fan almost never kicks on. Even in the current 90 degree heat. I don't know that it would work in the hotter southern climates but it sure works up here. Just adding a real-world example to what MAKG was saying.

2006 F-150 5.4L 4R75E BW4406e 3.73 8.8 9.75/ls 33s.
arrabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
MARK96SVT

Vehicle Model: Ranger
MARK96SVT is on a distinguished road

I am switching to an electric fan because i have a 3" body lift, and there is no shroud on it. I figure if it doesn't have overheating problems now (its been around 100* lately) then I shouldn't with an electric. I went to have my a/c worked on however, and my condenser wasn't getting enough flow, so thats why i'm switching.

If i do run into problems though I will probably have to modify a fan shroud to fit.

I didnt know there was a tool to hold that pulley still. I'm also rethinking my switch to an electric now. (even though i have all the parts )

Last edited by MARK96SVT; 08-16-2007 at 07:22 PM.
MARK96SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
Wicked_Sludge

Vehicle Model: Ranger, Flareside
I use this vehicle for: Attracting the ladies
Wicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_Sludge

if all your after is supplementing your a/c, why not stuff a small pusher fan in front of the condenser that switches with the a/c pump clutch? ive scoped it out before and there appears to be enough room for 1 or 2 small (10") electic pushers on either side of the cores center support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnsb2 View Post
Dyno sheet or GTFO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Dave (B25) View Post
The call was for scantily-clad women. A Certificate of Boob Authenticity was NOT specified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Imahara
I'm not sure if we have the right stuff; I'm just hoping we don't have the wrong stuff.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Last edited by Wicked_Sludge : Today at 09:16 PM.
Wicked_Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
BobR

Vehicle Year: 84
Vehicle Make: ferd
Vehicle Model: 2-B2s one is stock
BobR is on a distinguished road

IDK

on my engines (2.8 or 2.9) I just a 1 and 5/16" open end wrench, cresent, or pipe wrench and beat on it with a big hammer clockwies to loosen because of the reverse threads.

Bob
BobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Natedog

Vehicle Year: 87
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: DD & trail truck
Natedog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Sludge View Post
there is a special tool for holding the pulley still while you crank on the fan clutch....
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Pony View Post
...I prefer a clutch over an electric. clutches do go bad with age but, they are more dependable than the electric ones. A properly functioning clutch does not use a considerable amount of torque or h.p.
Yes, mechanical fan is alot more dependable. My hardcore wheeler has one for this very reason! And because it uses the factory fan clutch, deep water crossings are never a problem.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote