• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

welding auto hubs

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so ive had big problems with my auto hubs and i just plain hate them!! so i thought up an idea and it seems work great! just wonderin if anyone has done it before?

i took apart the hub, welded the outer gear to the bottom side of the inner gear and slid it back into the hub, now the huub is always locked there are no moving parts and its solid. i already took it out for a test in the snow with 31" tires and it worked great! the only problem is that it is always locked therefore bad mpgs but i really dont care lol.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's going to bind when you corner on pavement.

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya i thought that but ive been trying it out on and off pavement with no problems...anyway shouldnt the open diff make up for that??

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yeah that wont pan out to well man somehow murphys laws gunna kick in and getcha

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl: lol but its the same thing as having manual hubs in the "locked" position...correct? or do the ranger manual hubs have slipage?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not seeing how this equates to binding if the diff is open...with a locker, sure, but open?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i believe he's assuming you also have the transfer case locked into 4wd. it will bind on pavement in 4wd no matter what diff you have because there is a speed difference from front to rear. you'll have no problems in 2wd

bronchoII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
it should be like a jeep or any other 4x4 that dont have hubs with the transfer case out of 4 wheel it should'nt bind

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea makes sense, and im guessing by looking inside the auto hubs that the clutches inside the cams will unlock and lock the hubs as the tire turns different speeds than the axle..is that correct? so with the hubs always locked the axles and tires will always be spinnign the same speed which would cause binding on pavement with the tcase in 4x4, i might just leave the truck like this i mean hell it eliminates all the shitty ford parts which could fail offroad and get me stuck

Last edited:

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not totally up on auto hubs, but I think the only time they lock is when the axle has made a particular number of revolutions in the hub (put it in 4x4 and drive forward), and then they unlock when the hubs have made a particular number of backward revolutions around the axle (take it out of 4x4 and drive straight in reverse X number of feet).

it'd be just like a manual hub that was left in the "lock" position.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
it will be just like the "live" axle that is found in almost all new trucks. always locked in they don't even have hubs. you only shift the transfer case

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
it will be just like the "live" axle that is found in almost all new trucks. always locked in they don't even have hubs. you only shift the transfer case
why exactly did they start doing that anyway? Cheaper to manufacture I'm sure, but seems like the gas mileage would suffer.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
i ran with my hubs locked for several days on pavement and off due to random black ice patches. the axel binding thing is with the tcase locked in and/or a locked diff. you'll have no problems except loss of some power and gas mileage

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
the Live axle setups they have now have ferofluids which act like a third differential between the front and rear axles. . so don't run the 4x4 on dry clean pavement with the older style 4x4s.

Or thats my understanding anyways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals