• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 5.0 swap with pics!

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
hey guys!
I haven't been on in a while, figured id start a thread of my current project! My 3.0 kept crapping out on me so i decided to finally ditch it and upgrade to a 5.0:headbang: the end result will be a carbed 5.0 with a few power adders paired to a 4speed trans with granny. I've already gotten my donor vehicles and most of my parts gathered minus new headers, flywheel, clutch, and a few odds and ends. an more an better pics to come. sorry they are cell pictures though

Donor vehicle for the motor is a 86(i believe) F-150 with a swapped carbed 302, just rebuilt with cam and i believe bored over some.

last weekends progress on the ranger:

off the top of my head, the parts pile includes:(all new:thefinger:) 95 mustang gt motor mounts, ranger trans mount, fox body dual sump pan, oil pump pickup and all gaskets, arp fastners, march underdrive serpentine conversion pullies, billet fuel pump block off plate, holly 1560 600cfm carb w/ electric choke, 1" phenolic carb spacer and studs, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD blaster coil and mount, Canton 90' oil filter adapter, transdapt oil filter relocator, and an explorer 5.0 rad is all so far i believe lol...

hopefully this weekend ill get the donor motor pulled, cleaned, painted, and placed in the ranger... We'll see! biggest thing i think will be hacking the core support up for this monster of a radiator lol. anyone have any pics of this with this particular rad?? then its on to the wiring:annoyed:

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
The little bit of progress i made:
Before:

After:

Anyone able to help id this transfercase? borgwarner something i believe? i have the id tag numbers but it really helped none..

And just a random shot of the naked ranger haha

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You had those tires on your 3.slow? That made it into a 3.sloweresterest.....that a word?

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
[3.0L] | (4.0L) | {5.0L, sas 35 boggers}
Transmission
Automatic
what did u use to clean the tranny up for paint?

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
The trans was cleaned with brake cleaner, then scrubbed with a wire brush, sprayed down again, scrubbed again with steel wool, then sprayed an wiped down thouroughly. Worked perfect, no orange peel or anything of that sort. If it matters, paint is the high temp ceramic paint from duplicolor.

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
[3.0L] | (4.0L) | {5.0L, sas 35 boggers}
Transmission
Automatic

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks
No Problem.

Well early this moring i got a little bit of work done. I found the tag on the back of the transfer case in the '86, its a NP208. So from what i remember reading, the BW1356 will be the better more reliable case out of the 2.
So that being said, i got the BW156 t-case cleaned all up and got a few fresh coats of paint laid down, new trans mount bolted up, and a new vent hose in place. Cleaning and painting have by far been the most time consuming steps thus far in the swap. I offically hate baked on mud! Anywho, i did get a pic for the day:

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Curious to see how you get the driveline all figured out, main thing that keeps me contemplating on a V8 swap on my truck,

Ry

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Curious to see how you get the driveline all figured out, main thing that keeps me contemplating on a V8 swap on my truck,

Ry
Yeah before i started i didnt find a lot of detailed info for our older 4x4s, so ill try an get as many pics and measurements as possible when i actually get to setting everything in place. just wishing this weather and my schedule would work together!

sdjr

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 cubic inches
Transmission
Manual
I'm interested to see how your engine fits with the mount/pivot point for the TTB on the back side of the engine cross member...mine bottomed out with the convertible mounts, may toss a couple washers in to fix it easy, or grind on the pivot mount a little.

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
blown 2.8 getttin a new 302
Transmission
Manual
I like the detail you are putting into it. Me, Im just slappin stuff dirty as all hell. It's gonna all look the same petty quick anyways. Well I was wondering you could let me know what you are using for your clutch set up and how you are mounting the slave cylinder. I am in the middle of the same build and am stuck on the cluthc set up. The engine, tranny, t-case, d44 and d60 are all in but I have to get these small things button up to det it movin. Thanks for you help.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
I am building something very similar, at least to the Xcase. I am using the master cyl. from an 84 BII on mine. It connects to the factory line for the Bulldog tranny, and has the needed fluid movement to work the slave down on the tranny. Good choice on the Np tranny. Very stout unit, and easier to find parts for than the T-18. (allthough, I do like having a T for a backup incase the NP dumps.)

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I had a free hour today and finally got around to taking the stock tranny out. got that accomplished so it looks like ill remove motor mounts and set the tranny in place the next free time i come across. Well after i get that ford blue off of that tranny and make it silver to match the t-case. blue was a bad call on my part lol. Anyways here's 2pics of the clearance i have. I believe the 3" bodylift is gonna help a great deal and make this a "breeze". (if there is such a thing!)

Pesky mounts ive been trying to avoid. its tight to get under that crossmember with the 4x4 brackets and beams

I believe with that extra gap there'll be plenty of room

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I like the detail you are putting into it. Me, Im just slappin stuff dirty as all hell. It's gonna all look the same petty quick anyways. Well I was wondering you could let me know what you are using for your clutch set up and how you are mounting the slave cylinder. I am in the middle of the same build and am stuck on the cluthc set up. The engine, tranny, t-case, d44 and d60 are all in but I have to get these small things button up to det it movin. Thanks for you help.
well im using all new stock f-150 components minus the clutch, believe im gonna go centerforce dual-friction. Im gonna use the ranger master and line being as i just replaced it, just gonna cut the fitting off of it so itll slide on the slave, or i may snag the f-150s from the donor vehicle. but ive got the slave and release bearing at home, ill take some pics and upload em. The black bracket under the clutch fork holds the slave in place

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm interested to see how your engine fits with the mount/pivot point for the TTB on the back side of the engine cross member...mine bottomed out with the convertible mounts, may toss a couple washers in to fix it easy, or grind on the pivot mount a little.
Yeah im kinda worried about that mount/bracket, but hopefully my brackets will be better. im using SN95 mustang mounts(1995 mustang gt). But i still may have to sit the motor up higher in the engine bay or something.. we'll see when its time to test fit i suppose :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals