Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
hawncase

hawncase is on a distinguished road
Default Engine stalls like out of gas...

I bought this 87 ranger with an efi 2.9 ltr engine. Now it seems to run out of gas even though I'm pretty sure there is gas in the tank. A couple of times the truck would not start after sitting for a long while and yesterday it stalled while going down the street.

Any ideas? Thanks.
hawncase is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Big Jim M

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX-4 level 2
I use this vehicle for: DD with 31X10.50 Firestone LE's offroad with 31X10.50 MT's
Big Jim M will become famous soon enoughBig Jim M will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a fuel filter.. Usually they fail at high speed and keep going at low speed. Just a matter of amount of flow left in them.
Big JIm
Big Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
hawncase

Ha...I just bought the thing and the guy had just changed the filter so I thought he was probably trying to solve this problem that way.

It's funny. She runs like a top, but twice has refused to start until it sat for 20 or 30 minutes (and not hot either. Had been sitting all night and wouldn't start.) And once just stopped running on my boy as he was driving down the road downhill. After a few minutes, it started and hasn't had the problem since. Hard to figure.

I was thinking maybe some kind of intermittent electric fuel pump problem since I know the fuel filter is new.

Like I said, other than this problem, she runs great. I was thinking this may be a common problem for my lone ranger. I'll report back if I ever figure it out.
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
IMenriched

Vehicle Year: 1986 02'
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger f150 fx4
I use this vehicle for: exercise and DD & hauling college kids stuff
IMenriched is on a distinguished road

Do you hear the fuel pump prime every time one turn the key over to "ON"?? {not all the way to start}

If not....check the relay for the Fuel pump....and connections

2 are willing to die for you.
one is a soldier, but the 1st was Jesus Christ
~few appreciate either~
IMenriched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
dwsykes

Vehicle Year: 02, 88
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab, Standard Cab
I use this vehicle for: Everyday vehicle, work/Hunting Truck
dwsykes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dwsykes Send a message via Skype™ to dwsykes

Had a ranger that would do that and it turned out to be the fuel pump, but the sound of the pump in the tank got weaker and intermittent. It was an 87' Ranger also.
"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag" - Anonymous

Last edited by dwsykes; 09-20-2009 at 08:25 PM.
dwsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
hawncase

Thanks for the advice...went out to start the ranger today and wouldn't go. Sounds like it wants to fire but won't. Pretty sure it's gas.

I did listen for the elec. pump. Can hear it prime with the key in on postion. Maybe it's got power but the pump does not produce enough pressure or something.

I'll keep working on it. I'd change the fuel pump if I was a little more sure that's what it is. Hate going to the trouble for nothing.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Oleredranger

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Personal Use
Oleredranger is on a distinguished road

If its an 87 with the 2.9L, make sure you hear BOTH pumps. My 87 2.9L has one tank, two pumps. The one in the tank supplies low pressure high volume to the FRAME RAIL pump which supplies high pressure to the fuel rail. Before I changed my in-tank pump, when I would turn off the ign, I would hear a swooosh sound from the tank. I found out if I started the engine, then had someone turn off the ign while I was near the tank, I could hear the swooosh. Changed the pump, no more noise. If you have a no start, you can listen to the pumps to see if they are going. If your not sure, spray some choke spray into the intake just pass the throttle plate. If it starts then stalls, its definitely fuel. If it still won't start, check for spark at the plugs. You could have a coil, module or pick-up coil problem. Also, if your losing voltage at the coil or module from the ign switch, that would definitely cause a no start. Should have battery voltage at the ign coil and ign module. You can have up to .5Volts less then battery at the ign coil or module and it still should start. When you have voltage drops of 1 volt or more, you have to diagnose the ign circuit.
Oleredranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
IMenriched

Vehicle Year: 1986 02'
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger f150 fx4
I use this vehicle for: exercise and DD & hauling college kids stuff
IMenriched is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleredranger View Post
If its an 87 with the 2.9L, make sure you hear BOTH pumps. My 87 2.9L has one tank, two pumps. The one in the tank supplies low pressure high volume to the FRAME RAIL pump which supplies high pressure to the fuel rail. Before I changed my in-tank pump, when I would turn off the ign, I would hear a swooosh sound from the tank. I found out if I started the engine, then had someone turn off the ign while I was near the tank, I could hear the swooosh. Changed the pump, no more noise. If you have a no start, you can listen to the pumps to see if they are going. If your not sure, spray some choke spray into the intake just pass the throttle plate. If it starts then stalls, its definitely fuel. If it still won't start, check for spark at the plugs. You could have a coil, module or pick-up coil problem. Also, if your losing voltage at the coil or module from the ign switch, that would definitely cause a no start. Should have battery voltage at the ign coil and ign module. You can have up to .5Volts less then battery at the ign coil or module and it still should start. When you have voltage drops of 1 volt or more, you have to diagnose the ign circuit.
Agreed^^

considering that you recently acquired this and prior history isn't known...changing the fuel filler again wouldn't be bad choice, the former owner maybe got some real cruddy gas....junk in the tank or whatever...the newer filter would now hopefully catch this....and quickly re-clog. cheap thing to do to and to rule out

2 are willing to die for you.
one is a soldier, but the 1st was Jesus Christ
~few appreciate either~
IMenriched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
hawncase

Ha...here I am months later...sold the little ranger but came across this thread. Final addition to this thread is that Oleredranger nailed it! I was hearing the pump in the tank prime, but not the inline one bolted to the frame rail about under the driver.

I had taken it out and was going to get a new one (which would have been stupid because before I did, I found out about the fuel pump relay fuse over by the battery.) For ten bucks, I took a chance that that was the reason the inline pump wasn't getting power at key on. Changed it out and bam, power to the pump. All went well...for a while...then the same thing started happening again.

Got under her and fiddled with the wires and turned out the connection was poor. Maybe that's all it was the whole time, I don't know. But after that, all was well. Sold it and hope she is all good.

Thanks for the help, Ranger dogs!