• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Lifter replacement

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have come to the conclusion that the tapping I hear on idle is that of a bad lifter and therefore have purchased all new lifters, push rods and the rocker arm assemblies. It is a 1994 Explorer engine with 173,000 miles. I would like to complete this job this weekend but have a few questions in advance. First off I have heard several arguments whether the cylinder heads have to be removed to complete this job. Some say they do and others argue that they don't. If anyone can offer some insight to this it would be appreciated. Also, any additional advice as to completeing this job is welcome.

Tee Rev

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to see the magician who can swap them without removing the heads!:icon_confused:

It ain't gonna happen! I speak from experience!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Hydraulic Valve Tappet

NOTE: Before removing a valve tappet (6500) for noisy operation, make sure the noise is not caused by improper valve-to-rocker arm clearance or by worn rocker arms (6564) or push rods (6565) . Refer to Section 03-00 for diagnosis and testing procedures.

Removal

Remove cylinder head (6049) assembly as outlined in this section.

Remove the valve tappets . Note the location of each valve tappet so each one can be installed in the original position.

That is straight from the Factory shop manual, heads gotta go to do the lifters. If it was just pushrods and rocker shafts you would not have to.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I have to ask, what did they charge you for your lifters? are they the same as the 90TM rollers? I am in the middle of a rebuild and the best price here in Canada for Elgin lifters is $32.00 each.

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I bought my lifters off a guy that sells them on ebay and got all of them plus the rocker arm assemblies and push rods for $200. I didn't think that was too bad.

On another note I figured the heads would have to be removed as it would be too easy if they didn't. :dunno:

So here's my next question..... Once I tear into this thing and remove the valve tappets and rocker arms if I find they are worn does a person have to replace the push rods or could I just replace those parts? I really didn't want to remove the heads but if it has to be done it will have to be done.

Tee Rev

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
More than likely the push rods are worn. Considering that they are fairly inexpensive it's worth replacing them.

& since you're going this far, you may as well replace the cam! :icon_thumby:

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure its not badly worn pushrods and not the lifters? I believe the lifters get good oil supply, and i know for a fact the pushrods to rocker joint does not. I just replaced the pushrods and rockers due to ticking as well, and the truck only has 88k miles ( original motor). Sadly the only way to know is to tear into it. I would put some money down its the pushrods and not the lifters. Hopefully it is, that could save you from removing good sealing heads. Good luck, keep us updated.:icon_cheers:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Your lifters have NOTHING wrong with them.

the "ticking" you hear is galled pushrod tips binding in worn rocker arm sockets.

THIS job can be done by removing the alternator unbolting the AC compressor from it's bracket and removing both valve covers.

Just becuase you have the lifters doesn't mean you need to dig that far
into your "Can of worms" to replace them.

there's an old saying: "Don't fix shit that ain't broke"

If your lifters were actually "bad" you'd need another engine, not new lifters.

Replace your rockers and pushrods and the problem would be "fixed"

Put a dab of cam break-in lube (thick Moly paste) in each rocker arm
socket during assembly.

AD

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
^^^ Well that is a relief to hear. I think I will take that route and see how it goes. Removing the heads hadn't gotten me too excited especially since new head gaskets were just put in 20,000 miles ago. I really didn't want to spend the money for all new gaskets again. I will post back with results after this weekend. Wish me luck!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm wondering

How many are speaking to you? If it is only one or two I would leave it alone an a 173K engine.
Also I would NEVER replace lifters on a 173K camshaft...never, never! All you will get is quickly worn lobes and them new lifters too.
Oh, and the noise MAY BE from worn lobes and not the upper end.. So what are you gonna do when you put all them new parts in there and it still clicks??
If you can put up with the clicking leave it alone. If not then FIND the culprets and only replace the noisey ones.
Big Jim

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What you are saying aobut old camshafts would be 100% true....
IF we were talking about "flat" tappets.

BUT (and this is a HUGE "but") we aren't because ALL 4.0 engines are
rollercam engines and rollercams don't follow the same rules as old flat tappet cams.

Granted it probably isn't a good idea to replace the followers on even a roller cam that old, but with a 4.0 the problem is almost always the rocker/pushrod interface.

the 2.9's with a tapping noise weren't worn cam lobes either, they were
invariably suffering from oil pressure issues...

AD

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
" Well I bought my lifters off a guy that sells them on ebay " <<<< are those NEW in the box???? good score!!!!! $200 for that cash i will look into it. I need new ones for I am placing in new cam. what did you use as a search in ebay? i have tried looking for 4.0 liter ford in a search and don't get squat come up. thanks

Last edited:

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The parts I bought are remanufactured. However, they looked perfect when I got them. The sellers id is: specialtyengineparts

I installed the push rods and rocker arm assemblies last weekend. So far, so good. I no longer have the loud tapping sound. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is ever since I hooked everything back up when idling or in park the vehicle vibrates real bad. The rpm holds steady so I have yet to figure that one out. Otherwise it drives great.

derekinairdrie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Solved my problem

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to post my results. My 94 4.0L OHV Ranger had a ticking noise from the driver's side. I replaced the pushrods and rockers based on the advice from this thread and the ticking noise is gone!

I bought the kit from here: https://www.amazon.com/1990-Rocker-Ranger-Mazda-TEK244/dp/B00H7L02MG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals