Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's

1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #21
spaz1879

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Stomping Mud Babies
spaz1879 is on a distinguished road

well so far so good, i like how you made your own shift boot. Did you get your leaf pack and what not from the junkyard?
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

Vehicle Year: 1995 1986
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab XLT F-150 XL
PlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to all

I used 64" leaf packs from a 96' Chevy 1500. A guy I work with let me have the set for 40 bucks, and they had new bushings in them.

-plumcrazy
==>F-OneFiddy Build Thread

Last edited by PlumCrazy; 11-03-2009 at 10:15 AM.
PlumCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #23
WNY964x4
ASE Master Certified

Vehicle Year: 72-03
Vehicle Make: Chevy,Ford,BMW
Vehicle Model: Lots
I use this vehicle for: Everything
WNY964x4 will become famous soon enough

this thing is lookin better and better

and about the rear axle , both my trucks are 3.73 geared , one is an open and the other is gettin ( another ) 8.8 28 spline L/S with drums swapped in on monday

Non Ford:
1972 C-10 350 3-speed - Fun toy
1987 BMW 325I 2.5 5-speed - Fun and Economy
1971 BMW 2002 2.0 4-speed - long term restoration
WNY964x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #24
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

PlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to all

I finally got a few pics of the tranny crossmember and RA mounts.

I finished welding my perches on, I cut all the old sway bar mounts off the new axle and welded on some shock mounts I was able salvage the shock mounts from the old axle. I picked up new parking brake shoes and a hardware kit as well. I cleaned up the axle and shot it with some primer but it got dark to quick for me to get any pics of it.

I also got a pick of the frame now that it is all cleaned up and painted.

I finished up the exhuast and bolted it on but once again it was too dark for my cell phone to get any decent pics.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #25
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

Got the rear end all primed and painted. I dont have any pics of it under the truck yet.

I put all new seals in it and filled it up with synthetic

I got the exhuast finished.

this is where I put the new flange on the cat so it doesnt reduce to 2.25

I started putting on the the front lift brackets, but I ran into some more fun stuff that halted that whole project. I found out that when the previous owner said the front end is pretty tight he must have meant it was tight .... last year. I ended up putting in 4 Moog ball joints in and 3 axle shaft Ujoints, and discovered that the RA bushings were junk, but the RA's don't bother me because I already got some new Moog bushings for when I finish my extended RA's.

I picked up a D 35 with 3.73's in it as well. It needs new seals but other than that it is ready to bolt on.(not sure if I mentioned before that the truck came with 3.27's in it)

I was at the JY the other day and noticed that some older Exploders have a front sway bar that curves down about 2 inches on the ends. If I run it with my stock links I can run a sway bar with my lift. I will get a few pics tomorrow.

I am still waitng on my rear shocks and drive shaft so I can finish up the rear. I am going put the calipers on and make my new P brake cable brackets tom. I think I will need to find a way to extend my cable though.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #26
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

I got a lot done today.
I put all new ball joints, ujoints, and seals up front, bolted the front diff on, got the TTB drop brakets on, and slipped in the lift coils.

I took off the the old RA cross member and I finished up my ext. RA's and bolted everything up. I got made some retainers to keep the coil seated up top and I painted the RA's but it got dark before I got a pic of that stuff.

I gusseted the drop braket everywhere I could.

Here is a pic of the rear axle all bolted up. I still need to put the calipers on and make a bracket for the p-brake cables since I moved the hanger foward.

I managed to twist a bolt off in the yoke on the front diff, so I will work on drilling that out and finishing up my p brake stuff tomorrow. It is amazing how much stuff I can get done with a day off work. I am still waiting on my one peice so I can make my cross member. I got my new rear shocks today but they sent me the wrong ones so I had to send em back and wait for them to send a new pair. I ordered some extended front brake lines today. I am looking for a drop pitman arm still. I have a deal in the works for some black steel 15x8 rims and some 33"s too.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #27
OtteWell_Ranger

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Model: Virgin RANGER FX4
I use this vehicle for: daily grind...Edmonton winters!
OtteWell_Ranger is on a distinguished road

oh yeah! I have always wanted to do a TTB ranger. It is coming along good pics man......going to be watching the outcome.
OtteWell_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #28
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

I started on my cross member, I decide to us the old one, but the hump that clears the exhuast didn't line up right. So I cut 4 inches off the driverside and added 4 inches on the pass side to shift the hump over. I had a random peice of stamped steel channel that worked out perfect for the middle peice.

I made my c-clip elimanator

the stock boot wouldn't fit over the spring so I used a shock boot that was alittle bigger.(I didnt get a pic)

got the front yoke fixed. I drilled out the bolts and replaced the old ujoint retainers with the u bolt style ones. Now I can actually get a wrench on them.(and no the pinion seal isnt leaking, I got cutting oil all over it when I was drilling out the yoke)

I got a couple pics of the truck with 30"s on the front and some random pontiac wheels in the back. The truck will sit almost level, it will lean slightly foward when its done.

I got a pic of the coils in and the shocks sitting in place, the front is basically done. I just have to put my new sway bar on and swap out my pitman arm and brake lines.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #29
86_4x4beater

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Ranger
86_4x4beater is on a distinguished road

love what youve done with the from suspension !!!!! definatly alot stronger then stock ! keep the pixx comin !!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #30
WNY964x4
ASE Master Certified

Vehicle Year: 72-03
Vehicle Make: Chevy,Ford,BMW
Vehicle Model: Lots
I use this vehicle for: Everything
WNY964x4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post

Here is a pic of the rear axle all bolted up. I still need to put the calipers on and make a bracket for the p-brake cables since I moved the hanger foward.

doe it matter what direction you mount the shackles in ?

Non Ford:
1972 C-10 350 3-speed - Fun toy
1987 BMW 325I 2.5 5-speed - Fun and Economy
1971 BMW 2002 2.0 4-speed - long term restoration
WNY964x4 is offline   Reply With Quote