Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's

1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
JunkCollector

Vehicle Year: Many
Vehicle Make: Many
Vehicle Model: Many
My credo: Professional Ameture
JunkCollector is on a distinguished road
Default The Orange Crusher

So the story goes, my dad bought this "Bright Bittersweet" orange Ranger new in 1984. He threw on a black frame-mount brush guard that saved it from being totaled at least once, had some American Racing Outlaws installed, and named it. Sold it in 2004 when I was 5 years old. Years passed, now I'm 18, and the truck came back up for sale for $450 with an engine from a '84-'85 Bronco II. Of course, I bought it back. Sadly, those good looking wheels were replaced with these ugly Cheep wheels. At least the tires are good. Would be more enthused if they were jeep turbine's from the 80s.

Toyo Kyogo 4-speed, manual everything, no A/C, and a hole cut in the dash for a radio. "New clutch" that apparently isn't installed right, no slave cylinder, and you can move the clutch fork back and forth by hand with no resistance by reaching in the bell housing. Possibly no spark, and only cranked if you jumped the relay, then stopped all together. Wired past the clutch switch and got a clicking relay, and a new starter didn't fix it, so I'm throwing all new positive battery cables at it, and a used relay from a buddies wrecked truck. If that doesn't fix it I have no idea. Also trying to slowly de-smog it, since it was halfway ripped out already. It's why I've been making all these help threads since I joined. Only have one picture, with my daily driver '78 Power Wagon, known as Creeper by the previous owner. 360/4-speed... More to come.

Since I've introduced the Creeper and the Crusher, I might as well introduce my show truck, my 54,000 mile '88 Bronco II

Needs a dimmer switch at the moment and I'll be damned if I can get it out without breaking the connectors. Could use tips on that first. Had to break the ones at the junkyard. Hate throwing used parts at my nice truck but I ain't paying $60 for a new one!

The top two aren't mommy and daddy sponsored. I'll admit the bottom one is, and I daily drove it for a year before deciding to try to preserve it. Now 10mpg isn't treating me too well with the V8 so now I got this lil orange crapbox that needs twice as much put in to it as what I paid for it. No regrets.

Last edited by JunkCollector; 12-24-2017 at 10:04 PM.
JunkCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 12-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Screw $60 for a new dimmer. Spend $15 and change it over to a floor switch.

Nice looking fleet though.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sowell
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization then be prepared to accept barabrism.

Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
JunkCollector

Thanks! I want to keep it as original as possible, $20 at the junkyard.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
JunkCollector

Got the truck running today! Positive battery cable solved all its issues. Can be driven around and started in gear, still needs the clutch fixed. That'll be next. Then exhaust. Then all the little things.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
JunkCollector

Couple pictures for those who enjoy em.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Assassynation

Assassynation is on a distinguished road

Sweet little rig! I wish I could find my old mans suburban
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassynation View Post
Sweet little rig! I wish I could find my old mans suburban
Why, did he lose it?

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sowell
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization then be prepared to accept barabrism.

Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
Mark_88

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Dordge
Vehicle Model: Care A Van
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
My credo: Love Thy Neighbor
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the BII...very nice...

Ranger looks like a long box and those rims are actually Jeep rims from what I see...I had a set on the back of my first Ranger and they were good solid rims...they look better with a bit of sanding and some paint or clear coat...with good rubber and a bit of weight in the back I never got stuck in snow...

I eventually swapped in the 10 hole 15" aluminum rims and rode on them for another 12 years...only problem with aluminum is they don't take much to throw them out of round if the tire goes flat...
1996 Ranger 2.5 (gone)

On-line manual link
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...94#post1581294
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
JunkCollector

Its a longbed, I figured they were Jeep wheels, I wanna find Cherokee turbine wheels for it. Could I fit 33x10.50s under a james duff 3" stage 1? I know I have to trim fenders, I want to...remedy the rust issue. How much I have to trim is the question. Can't find much info. I've seen it on Bronco IIs, want to keep the low stance and flex decently.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

Vehicle Year: '91, '94, '77
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger, ranger, f-250
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, towing
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

Those wheels look an awful lot like dodge 1/2 ton mid '80's. Some were 5x4.5"x15" bolt pattern.