• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 powerstroke?

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
i was thinkin about this the other day when i was driving home from work

how hard would it be to put a powerstroke v8 in a ranger? ive seen some smaller diesels in rangers but what about a big ass v8 in one, beef up the frame & suspension, and use it as a tow rig! you know get a goose neck on it and carry tractors and shit on it, that would be badass, and turn some heads definitely

thoughts?

sniper_101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate to defecate on your parade but even with a bigger motor the Ranger's tow limit won't be much higher than an OEM V6 model. There is still the fact of brakes, frame, light duty components, weight and wheelbase that will make it unable to keep up with a stock 1/2 ton safely.

A guy on R-F/RPS is doing a 1000hp 6.0 TT PSD swap right now: LINK

It can be done, but not easily or on a budget.

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

ive been thinking about doing this as well with a 6.9 idi... with sas... but.. for heavy towing the rangers no matter what just dont have the weight...

just my .o2

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe with the goose neck and dual rear end, otherwise I see real problems in having to stop in a hurry. Having the power to pull is one thing but having something that is going to handle is totally different.
Dave

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
i wasnt planning on actually doing this ANYTIME soon, but if i were i would do it right with everything y'all have said probably a full size rear and beefed up...well everything

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i wasnt planning on actually doing this ANYTIME soon, but if i were i would do it right with everything y'all have said probably a full size rear and beefed up...well everything
Even if you beefed everything up to 1/2 ton specs you still wouldn't have the towing capability of a 1/2 ton... A Ranger is much narrower and quite a bit shorter than any 1/2 ton therefore leaving it much less stable... If you really need a tow rig find the biggest longest widest vehicle possible (Crew Cab long bed F-350 maybe)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it would depend on the platform really. with minimal beefing an ext cab chassis holds up to 3/4 ton abuse with ease....rangers are stronger then 1/2 ton gm,s ime.

then theres the fact that swapping a 7.3 in without 1 ton axles is a pretty dumb idea as well.

my truck is 6k. plenty capable of towing 10 k. its got the same wheel base and only slightly lighter then a psd reg cab pickup....once my flat bed setup is complete it will be at least as strong. towing the same is just that, the trucks would be equal.

Last edited:

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would think you would be best off purchasing an Excursion with the powerstroke diesel in it, shorten the wheelbase to fit and pop a ranger cab and bed on it. Would be some massive fab work to do. With proper tools, proper knowledge, and proper budget, anything can be done.

DieselRangerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.2 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
There's a couple guys on another forum I play on that have done the swap with the 6.0 Powerstroke, into Rangers and Toyotas, they're pretty bada$$ machines....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it would depend on the platform really. with minimal beefing an ext cab chassis holds up to 3/4 ton abuse with ease....rangers are stronger then 1/2 ton gm,s ime.

then theres the fact that swapping a 7.3 in without 1 ton axles is a pretty dumb idea as well.

my truck is 6k. plenty capable of towing 10 k. its got the same wheel base and only slightly lighter then a psd reg cab pickup....once my flat bed setup is complete it will be at least as strong. towing the same is just that, the trucks would be equal.
My 3/4-ton GM has 9" deep frame rails. I think it would take quite a bit of reinforcement to build a Ranger frame into a 3/4-ton. There's less difference in frame dimensions between my 25,500#GVW bus and my pickup than between my pickup and my B2.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
My 3/4-ton GM has 9" deep frame rails. I think it would take quite a bit of reinforcement to build a Ranger frame into a 3/4-ton. There's less difference in frame dimensions between my 25,500#GVW bus and my pickup than between my pickup and my B2.
i dunno, the 88-99 halfs i know for sure fold up and fawk up the bed with what my ranger carries (carried-it wont do that today) in it...thats following me to the job with a pallet of shingles going thru the same shit. no one was laughing about it either, the first couple of trucks i felt bad about, but then i learned to warn them as it seemed it was not possible to be bad coincidence. you have to remember i had heavy springs ect as well----3/4 ton front 8 pack dl over in rear when doing that plus my frame was sound. but the springs just let me easily carry the load...the frame not buckling is because of fords big balls.....

but thats only what i have experienced...as i may have just been random coincidance.:dunno:

the bus 3/4 thing is somewhat different....thickness/actual metel ect play big in those along with actual ladder members.

regardless, i have the weight/stength/braking to tow 10 k.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals