Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > Engine Conversions > V-8 Conversion Forums

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
chvlfrk
December 2010 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ranger XLT
Vehicle Model: SB
I use this vehicle for: 5.0 huntin
chvlfrk will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chvlfrk Send a message via Yahoo to chvlfrk
Talking

I picked up a 99 last week, that is gonna be the new foundation for my RAT Ranger build, and I will take pics as usual.

Favorite quote: Elvira on Stroker Ace: "I like mechanics, they know how to tinker with things for hours, and makem go fast!"

TOY: Green 94 Pro Street
chvlfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
DRAGONDOG

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: f150
DRAGONDOG is on a distinguished road

i have a 97 f150 single cab long bed v6........this guy is gettin rid of his old beat up f150 with a 1990 305 in it (5.0 V8) i dnt know whatt yr his truck is if its a 90 or older.....my v6 blew a head gaskit so i already pulled it to do a overhaul on it.....will this 305 fit in my truck

Last edited by DRAGONDOG; 03-31-2010 at 05:59 PM.
DRAGONDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
White94Ranger

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XL
I use this vehicle for: project/DD
White94Ranger is on a distinguished road

that engine would be a 302 and yes it would fit just grab the engine mounts with that truck in weld or bolt it to you truck
White94Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: stupid stuff
gwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to behold

i'm not sure what wiring issues you guys are talking about,but when i first went mid engine on the ranger it was with a 98 4.6 from an f150....the wiring was pretty straightforward,just got a haynes manual for the schematics...if you have access to alldata it will fill in most of the gaps.many repair shops will print out diagrams for a small fee if you ask nicely.edit....after looking at this pic again,it does look a bit of a rat's nest there...dosn't it!

Last edited by gwaii; 05-15-2010 at 11:33 PM.
gwaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
ranger joe

Vehicle Year: 1997 , 2000 ,
Vehicle Make: ford (2) , bu
Vehicle Model: 4.0l , 5.0l , 3.1 ranger(2) , century
I use this vehicle for: every day fun
ranger joe is on a distinguished road

here is my baby .
97 ranger 306 hypertenic pistons .030 over . motifed e6se heads ,ported .194 in .154 ex vavles , e 303 roller cam , comp cams roller tip rocker , holley 670 cfm truck avenger, proform 1 wire distributor, apx. hp 340-370 @flexplate.custom gauges.fox body oil pan and pick up tube . all build pics are in my profile .more on the custom gauges i will have more pics... i dont how to get pics off my puter to this page?

Last edited by ranger joe; 06-03-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: more info
ranger joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #16
double d

double d is on a distinguished road

I stuffed a 98 explorer 5.0 awd in a 93 ranger 2wd with ford 9" rear. I kept the 4r70w trans out of the explorer and converted it to 2wd. L and L motor mounts, stock oil pan. Swapped the dash, steering column, relocated the engine computer, cut some new holes in the firewall, made my own heater box, fiberglassing parts from the 98 AC system to the 93 blower motor. Used the explorer fuel system. 96 mustang floor shifter. 4.0 radiator, 5.0 shroud and fan. Going to try a ford taurus fan in the future. Wiring, hardly spliced a thing except for taillights, door pins, dome light, windshield wiper motor. But gutting and thinning out the 4 door explorer harness was the tough part. No engine codes, not on the first try! haha, had a P0500 VSS and p1729 4wd switch fault. Going to get the official engine change smog inspection from a smog referee tomorrow. All i can say if your going to do this, get the whole donor truck and a plasma cutter. Started the project in Dec, ended May 25.
double d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
lokjaw

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger 3.0l
lokjaw is on a distinguished road
Default 4.6l swap

I want to put a 4.6l in my 91 ranger. I have a 3.0l in it now with a manual five speed. the engines im looking at are crown vics 1998 to 2003. does anyone have experience with this swap? i have been doing a little research anf the only thing i have found is that the engine mounts needed to be modded a bit no biggie and maybe a tranny mount. My ranger has no A/C so I dont have to worry about that crap being in the way. I plan on useing the crown vic computer and wiring for now and maybe a MegaSquirt later on. Can anyone let me know what they think on this one and how much time it will take. I have alot of experience working on vehicals of all size but never done and engine upgrade.
lokjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
Slipknotyk_Chyld

Slipknotyk_Chyld is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried a 302 2wd swap with a T56 6 speed? I have heard that the 4.6 and 5.0 have the same bell housing bolt pattern. It was the 4.6 that was in the Cobra Terminator, along with the T56.
I want to see if it's possible to do a 5.0 swap with an Eaton M112, cammed with high performance heads. Am I just dreaming, or is it a swap someone else has tried?
Slipknotyk_Chyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
Teddyzee
December 2011 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Teddyzee has a spectacular aura aboutTeddyzee has a spectacular aura about

4.6 and Windsor 5.0 do not share the same bell housing bolt pattern. There are t56 combos that will bolt to a 302 block, however.
The Eaton is not common on a SBF, but companies like Kenne Bell do make Roots style blowers for our engines.
18X9/18X10 Bullitt wheels (275/40, 295/35)
5.0 link
Teddyzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
RJAAAAAA

Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: RANGER
Vehicle Model: EDGE 4.6 Intercepter Vrrrroooooooommm!!!!!
RJAAAAAA is on a distinguished road

I have recently completed my 4.6 swap into an 01 2wd Ranger. Not sure what you're looking that would make this an article for the tech. library. I have a complete thread that followed the swap with photos. How should it be formatted to be a tech. article? I wouldn't mind doing it as an article with more detailed info pertaining to the different aspects of the swap. Anything I can offer to help others along with their swap or to let others that are thinking of doing a swap see what is involved. This is a great site and full of people with many talents. Some could be a little more welcoming and more patient with new people who don't know how to navigate the site yet. These guys are gear heads not computer geeks, cut them some slack or they might just go away.
RJAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote