• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How in the world do you get the headliner panel out of a supercab ranger?

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking of recovering the healiner in my 1994 Ranger Supercab. I've been looking and planning and measuring and ordering. All of a sudden I thought that it looks nearly impossible to remove the headliner panel from the truck.

Has anyone ever removed a headliner panel from a supercab?

The panel is about 48 X 50. The door opening on the longest diagonal is 51. To get the panel out the door opening, it looks like the door will have to come off. That seems like a huge PITA. I'm just wondering if there's some advice on how to get that thing out of there and then back in without bending it something awful and having it break apart.

Alternatively, I could try recovering it in the truck. But, applying adhesive and the new fabric upside down without getting adhesive all over everything seems pretty challenging too.

Any advice on this would be great.

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never done it but removing the rear window seems logical to me. Let's see what everyone else thinks.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
This forum is so cool. Thanks for the fast response.

I'm not sure it would fit through there so well. Removing the windshield crossed my mind since the opening is much wider. Also, the rear window is a slider so I'm not sure if that complicates things much or not.

I'm also thinking that maybe one of those ABS replacement headliner shells might be flexible enough to bend a bit more. But, at about 250-300 delivered, they're pricey.

I too am interested in many more opinions.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I removed mine out of both of my trucks. the easist deff. was the 4door supercab. but the 87 I just removed the pass. seat and slid it out of the door. when it goes back in I will remove both front seats.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
> but the 87 I just removed the pass. seat and slid it out of the door
Can you explain a bit more about how you moved it around in the truck to get it out.

Did you just let the front of it drop down and into the footwell to get it to clear the door on the way out? Did you have to bend it much if at all?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I pulled the liner out of my '94 SC to recover it. I had both seats out, and worked it out through the passenger door. I did drop the front down, and had to be careful, and patient, to find the right positions to not bend and crease it. It's a real pain in the ass, but it can be done. If I recall, it went back in easier than it came out. Good luck.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Remove BOTH front seats.

Tilt is DOWN to the drivers side rotate 90degrees and take it out the passenger door opening

It won't fit through the back window opening.

AD

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I got mine out and back into my 91 super cab without removing the front seats....it fit just fine out the passenger side.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I can't visualize why removing the seats would be necessary. Why wouldn't reclining the seatbacks all the way be sufficient? :icon_confused:

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I think stick or auto tranny makes a difference. With the auto, if I remove my little cup holder/console, it looks like I'll have a little more room to move the board around. I think a stickshift might get in the way of that.
Also, the steering wheel looks like it's going to be an obstacle, but we'll see.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
An update on material acquisition...
I ended up ordering from A1 Foam and Fabrics (a1foamandfabrics.com) and the shipping was really expensive.

They don't tell at the time you place the order what your shipping charges would be.
To get two yards of fabric shipped in UPS' cheapest (same state) zone, the shipping charge was over 20.00 which was like sticker shock when I read my invoice after the stuff arrived. I called to inquire and they told me that's the way it is...

If I did it again, I'd seriously consider http://wlsheadliners.com. That site is so cool and filled with information and tutorials with pictures.

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you have a four door i got mine out by opening the doors reclining the seats and putting the window down it came out easy but wen you put it back your gonna have to push it a little bit but it wont rip on 1 to 5 scale puting it back in was a 2

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '92 SC and it was a bit of a PIA but not too bad. IIRC I fully reclined the seats and slid them all the way forward. I think I had to flex the headliner some to get it out.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I still have nightmares about pulling the headliner out of my wife's old Sable. That was a memorably horrific experience. Thought I was going to break it from all the bending required to get it in a door and turned back around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals