Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Bill

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Bill is on a distinguished road
Default Quality car car products

I'm not terribly big on buy a lot of car care products, but since my new truck has that black plastic on the exterior that turns kind of gritty looking it it isn't cared for, I was wondering what people are using for this that dust doesn't stick too. I guess I'm looking for something that leaves a thin layer to repel water and prevent water spots from adhering to the plastic, but doesn't turn white over time.

Something that does the same for rubber around the windows would be helpful too, since water spots show up on rubber as well.

I would also like to know if anyone has used something that makes the tires look a normal black (not glossy) that doesn't attract dust and turn brown. I normally don't mind the normal looking grey of aged tires, but it seems like every time I get the truck aligned or have anything done to it they manage to find the time to do me a "favour" by coating the tires with Armor-all, which makes me mad to no end because Armor-all permanently screws up tires and they look horrible a month later.
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
almostclueless

Vehicle Year: 98
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
almostclueless is on a distinguished road

Heck, I'd write "NO ARMOR ALL" in crayon on the tires just before an alignment then LOL.
almostclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
ASMODEAN

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: BRONCOII
I use this vehicle for: anchor point for wayward jeeps.
ASMODEAN is just really niceASMODEAN is just really niceASMODEAN is just really niceASMODEAN is just really nice

I only use 3M products (waxes, cleaners and supplys) on my '90 BII, my wifes van and the bike
they make a plastic cleaner and a few other products that are specificaly designed to keep the plastic looking new.
3M is a little on the pricey side (usualy found at an automotive paint supply store) but well worth it if you plan on keeping the black stuff black on your ride as for the tires westleys bleach white works wonders without turning the tires brown

I'll round off that bolt head...Just as soon as I'm done strippin' this screw!

Pre-Internet it would be weird. Today... There's an app for that.
ASMODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Bill

I haven't bothered with 3M because their products are way beyond pricey. There is no reason an 8oz bottle of anything they sell should be $13.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostclueless View Post
Heck, I'd write "NO ARMOR ALL" in crayon on the tires just before an alignment then LOL.
It's ridiculous . They didn't even align it properly. They used the wrong eccentrics. I lost track of how many times I took it back to get them to fix it correctly. They insisted it was the balljoints, which they had a problem with because I replaced myself. They didn't need to replace the eccentrics to start with. For some insane reason they "just figured" they needed to be replaced due to mileage. They couldn't align the vehicle, but they had plenty of time to put Armor-all on the tires even though the tires were new and had that new shine to them, which didn't last long after they put that crap on the tires.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
almostclueless

Vehicle Year: 98
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
almostclueless is on a distinguished road

I'd just find another shop that doesn't try to blame everything on something else.
almostclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

Waitaminute....

The shop thought eccentrics wear out? Moving parts wear out. Eccentrics aren't moving parts. Well, at least they shouldn't be.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Bill

They stated it was out of spec and they couldn't align it because the "eccentrics wore out." I just figured that was their way of explaining it to their customers, since most people wouldn't understand what an eccentric is.

Anyway, it was a big hassle for me.