Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Ranger Axles

Ranger Axles Dana 28, Dana 35, Ford 7.5 & Ford 8.8

Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
nidf88

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
nidf88 is on a distinguished road
Default 7.5 to 8.8 driveshaft/brakes

i have an 85 ranger 4x4 reg cab. 1350 case, 7.5 rear, spicer 2 piece drive shaft. will i have to swap drive shafts if i go to an 8.8? is so, i have to swap the rear output flange on my 1350 right? and will an 8.8 really "bolt in" no welding? if so, what years are direct bolt on? will my rear sway bar still bolt on? can i keep my drums off the 7.5? can i use the same shocks? is the flange on the 8.8 the same as the 7.5?
i know some of the years newer than my 85 have different drive shafts becuase its always been a pain getting the flange off the transfer case of a newer junkyard ranger when ever i've swapped blown cases.

thanks for all the help in the past TRS!
nidf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

'90-'92 4.0L V6 Rangers would have the bolt-in 8.8" for yours (later ones will still bolt in, but are 2" wider at the wheel flanges).
Use the whole axle, the brakes and everything else on it is better than your 7.5".

Edit:
As for the driveshaft, you may have to get a custom one made. The 8.8" flange is bigger than your 7.5" one, and I'm not sure a flange adapter exists for the tiny u-joints early Rangers had.
You could also modify the 8.8 flange by drilling & tapping new holes on it, although you'll probably want to have the bigger u-joints too.
(unless you have the A4LD auto trans, later driveshafts that would otherwise fit with the 8.8 would be too short).

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s

Last edited by 4x4junkie; 10-26-2007 at 06:06 PM.
4x4junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
projectnitemare

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
projectnitemare will become famous soon enoughprojectnitemare will become famous soon enough

Yes an 8.8 can "bolt in". If you happen to get a 31 spline you will need the larger u-bolts due to the larger tube diameter. All the 8.8s I've put in had 10in drums. If you have 9in drums you would be upgrading in that aspect. Aside from replacing the wear items such as shoes and wheel cylinders there are no modifications needed to the brakes. The shocks use the same location. You will be playing a few games with the driveshafts. There are a few patterns on the companion flange; you might luck out but with the small joints that is doubted. You should be able to get lucky in the yard and find some driveshafts and flanges to get it to work. If you have some skill you will be able to drill the companion flange. You'll have to pull the flange and use a drill press. Very highly doubted you will have success drilling it by hand with the flange still on the axle.

Matt
Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Totalled

Vehicle Model: BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: to GET IT!
Totalled will become famous soon enough

If you pull the flange off the 8.8 just call up Randy's and order the flange for a car application (mustang) it has the smaller 2.5" bolt pattern that will match the small joint RBV shaft.

The Org
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalled View Post
If you pull the flange off the 8.8 just call up Randy's and order the flange for a car application (mustang) it has the smaller 2.5" bolt pattern that will match the small joint RBV shaft.
However ths requires disassembling the differential and resetting pinion bearing preload.

all things considered it's easier to play driveshaft games.

An '85 4x4 may or may not have the "tiny" U-joints and if it has the "normal" U-joints you can rob the rear flange adapter off of any '90-97 Ranger
or most Aerostars that have the larger flange...

Or simply ask one of the resident yard crawlers (hint) if they have
the proper yoke adapter laying about (hint)

Depending on which trans he has he might be able to simply grab the entire driveshaft off of a later "larger flange" Ranger.

Do you have an A4LD? if so just get a driveshaft for a 1990-up Ranger
4x4 with the same bed length as yours (the 1985 manual trans is 2" shorter)

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
rickcdewitt

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger-needs more lift
I use this vehicle for: work and play
rickcdewitt is on a distinguished road

my 91 8.8 has both patterns drilled into the flange.
Originally Posted by fastpakr
Try to stick to posting about trucks, unless you can figure out a way to control yourself.
rickcdewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcdewitt View Post
my 91 8.8 has both patterns drilled into the flange.

Unless you drilled it there yourself, no it doesn't.

what it has is the large four bolt pattern, twice
and two extra holes for attaching a puller to get the flange off if it doesn't come off readily.

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
rickcdewitt

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger-needs more lift
I use this vehicle for: work and play
rickcdewitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Unless you drilled it there yourself, no it doesn't.

what it has is the large four bolt pattern, twice
and two extra holes for attaching a puller to get the flange off if it doesn't come off readily.

AD
yep you are right,i've messed with it enough i should know.spreading disinformation.thats what i get for voicing an assumtion.i always put the driveshaft back on in the same spot and never checked just assumed,thanks.
Originally Posted by fastpakr
Try to stick to posting about trucks, unless you can figure out a way to control yourself.
rickcdewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
nidf88

Vehicle Model: Ranger
nidf88 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info! i HAD an A4LD... but swapped over to an FM146 to keep my stock drive shaft length. the FM146 was the exact same length as my A4LD. the 1350 transfer case on my truck has an output flange that the u-joints on the drive shaft actually sit into. my drive shaft is the 2 piece style with the splined shaft covered by a boot. the u-joints on it are right at 2.5" across. the measurement i got for the length is 43.25" flange to flange. it was 46" from axle flange to base of my transfer case. the flange on my axle is right at 4.5" across. just so happens that i have another 1350 from a newer ranger with the shorter flat output flange laying around. i would rebuild any rear end i got with a new ring and pinion anyways so if that mustang flange would work, then i would be in business.
once again thanks to all that have replied.
nidf88 is offline   Reply With Quote