Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Non-Ranger Axles

Non-Ranger Axles All other axles. Ford 9-inch, Dana 44, Dana 60, etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

Vehicle Year: 1995 1986
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab XLT F-150 XL
PlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best Dana 30

I have a 2wd Ranger and Im thinking of swapping in a Dana 30. I know that the 30 isn't as strong as the 44 or the ttb 35, but I have a 2.3 and I am not planning on running anything thing larger than 33's (31's most likely).Stock disc brakes and keeping the same lug pattern is another plus in my eyes, not to mention parts for jeeps are easy to come by around here. I will most likely swap in manual hubs eventually.

I want to know what dana 30 is the best. I have heard that the 96+ XJ's are the way to go. They don't have CAD and they have larger u-joints than previous years, right?

I was also thinking of going with a leaf sprinf setup, would the Wrangler YJ be better if I go this route? Can anything be done to fix the weak point at the CAD (I think I read all Wrangler YJ's had CAD)?

and one more question, the difference between reverse cut and standard cut is the location of the input shaft correct? (reverse cut being the higher one)

thanks
-plumcrazy

Last edited by PlumCrazy; 03-02-2009 at 01:46 PM.
PlumCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
crawlin91

Vehicle Year: 92
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: running stuff over
crawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud of

The best dana 30 is any that arent under your ranger. Id seriously consider going dana44
crawlin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

PlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of lightPlumCrazy is a glorious beacon of light

I can a 30 for cheap and parts are easy to get. I have been looking for 44's and they hard to find not to mention I would have to change wheels and most likley have to buy everything to convert to disc brakes. I am not going to give the axle any abuse and it only has to hold up to a 2.3 and 33's at the most. I know the 30 is not as heavy as a 44 and they won't take much abuse, but I figure staying with a smaller tire, 4cyl, and a Standard cab a dana 30 will be just fine. I don't don't wheel much if any. I use this truck around the farm and as a DD I just want 4x4 so I can make it in and out of fields and maybe have a little fun with out getting stuck. Maybe swapping the crossmember and putting a ttb dana 35 would be the way to go, but SAS seems like an easy way to get what I want and the dana 30 is cheap and will give me something to keep me busy for a while.

I am almost 100% sure a Dana 30 is want I am going to do unless someone close by happpens to be throwing out a 44 with disc's.

So if anyone has pics of their dana 30 swap (coil or leaf) I would love to see them.

-plumcrazy
Old 03-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
RumpRangerSTX

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: RangerSTX Straight Axle
I use this vehicle for: beatin the shit out of it
RumpRangerSTX is on a distinguished road

Sell Your Truck And Buy One That Is 4x4 Already Alot Cheaper And Lot Less Work . Plus Danna 35 Stronger Than A Danna 30
RumpRangerSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Maverick
FoMoCo MoFo

Maverick will become famous soon enoughMaverick will become famous soon enough

The 95+ XJ does have the best D30. Whether you go leafs or coils it would be the axle to use. For your intended use a D30 would work just fine. Here's a link to my build: http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ead.php?t=1485. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
72 Maverick- Gutted
78 Bronco- Weekend Cruiser

Last edited by Maverick; 03-02-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
86ford

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: Exploder
I use this vehicle for: creating a need for a larger broken parts bin
86ford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 86ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
The 95+ XJ does have the best D30. Whether you go leafs or coils it would be the axle to use. For your intended use a D30 would work just fine. Here's a link to my build: http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ead.php?t=1485. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
agreed.

The d30 is PERFECT for his application. TTB is good for vehicles that already have it but given a choice I would take a d30 or d44 solid axle over a d35 TTB. I run the TTB because its the easiest, NOT because its the best.

86ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
lil red

Vehicle Year: 94
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt supercab
lil red is on a distinguished road

look for the ABS tone wheels on the stub shafts, those are the cream of the crop

if the axel i pulled in school wasnt raped and pillaged, it would be in my truck already just cuz of the shafts
Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

With 31s you should be fine with the D30. 33s is about the upper limit though, being that the Ranger is much heavier up front than the Jeep the axle came from.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

Even with a 4cyl and Reg cab? I know the lima motor is built like a tank though.

-plumcrazy
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Evan

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer Sport
I use this vehicle for: Wheelin
Evan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post
Even with a 4cyl and Reg cab? I know the lima motor is built like a tank though.

-plumcrazy

Yup. The Ranger has beefy framerails, and a heavier body, compared to a lightweight unibody Jeep.

2009 Chevy Aveo 5-door LS: 5-speed, DD
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote