Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'boneshaker'
March 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'one'
March 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Suspension & Armor > 2WD Suspensions

2WD Suspensions Stock and off-road. This is NOT a pre-runner forum.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
crushor

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily transportation
crushor is on a distinguished road
Default Rear leaf spring shackle mount

Good day all...

Question of the day...how difficult is it to replace the rear leaf spring shackle mounts on a '96 Ranger 2wd. I was informed during a recent tire replacement that the rear leaf spring bolts were...one was hanging out and the other was missing. the result was that these bolts are the ones that attach the upper part of the shackle to the plate mount that is attached to the frame. Further inspection revealed that the bolt on the drivers side is hanging out, however rusted in this postition, the other bolt is not missing,it was misdiagnosed by the tire dealer...the mount on the passenger side has broken, and both the shackle and the leaf spring are bumping into the bottom of the bed. Is this plate mount a purchaseable item, or is this something that has to be fabricated? I figured that I may as well replace both of the mount plates and the bolts at the same time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & show your support? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Share it HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
chvlfrk
December 2010 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ranger XLT
Vehicle Model: SB
I use this vehicle for: 5.0 huntin
chvlfrk will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chvlfrk Send a message via Yahoo to chvlfrk
Thumbs up Fyi>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
Good day all...
Question of the day...how difficult is it to replace the rear leaf spring shackle mounts on a '96 Ranger 2wd. I was informed during a recent tire replacement that the rear leaf spring bolts were...one was hanging out and the other was missing. the result was that these bolts are the ones that attach the upper part of the shackle to the plate mount that is attached to the frame. Further inspection revealed that the bolt on the drivers side is hanging out, however rusted in this postition, the other bolt is not missing,it was misdiagnosed by the tire dealer...the mount on the passenger side has broken, and both the shackle and the leaf spring are bumping into the bottom of the bed. Is this plate mount a purchaseable item, or is this something that has to be fabricated? I figured that I may as well replace both of the mount plates and the bolts at the same time.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks.
============================================
Ford dealer or LMC truck ONLY item.............I believe they run around $40-50 each for the shackle bracket..........

I just looked at my LMC truck catalog for Ranger/Explorer and they run $39.95 each + shippin
http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/FR/full.aspx?Page=117

Favorite quote: Elvira on Stroker Ace: "I like mechanics, they know how to tinker with things for hours, and makem go fast!"

TOY: Green 94 Pro Street

Last edited by chvlfrk; 03-01-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Updated info
chvlfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1936/1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

at the problem/not the reply 2 hours if you've done it before---all day if you haven't--grinding the heads off the old rivets & knocking them out is the worst part

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
(Condensed Version) I have determined that every last Automotive Engineer is an atheist.......it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
*****All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up*****

The Congress that gave me a Machine Gun to kill as many enemy as possible now wants my Winchester Model 1894 because I have PTSD!

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-02-2009 at 07:06 AM.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
crushor

Having not done this before, I did order the new mounts from LMC, I would assume that they come with attachment hardware...forgot to ask...go figure...if they do not, is this a bolt on, or weld on situation? Thoughts, all?

This is the downside to working on my rides when I only get every other weekend at home, due to the job.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1936/1989
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

I bolted mine on with 3/8" grade 8 bolts +(flatwashers,lock-washers,nuts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
(Condensed Version) I have determined that every last Automotive Engineer is an atheist.......it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
*****All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up*****

The Congress that gave me a Machine Gun to kill as many enemy as possible now wants my Winchester Model 1894 because I have PTSD!
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
pocket-rocket

Vehicle Year: 1994
I use this vehicle for: Anything I need it for.
pocket-rocket is on a distinguished road

I know this probably has been taken care of, but I recently went through this with my 94 2wd Ranger. My drivers side shackle mount was totally rusted in 2 and the spring was riding on the bottom of the bed. The passenger side wasn't far behind and got destroyed in the process of removing it. I took the bed off of mine to do it and while I had it off, I pulled the truck outside while we had a nice couple days last week and sandblasted the frame, then did some rubberized underbody coat on it too. I bought my shackle mounts on ebay, and I found some rear cab mounts to replace the old rusted out ones too. Links:

Shackle mounts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0044&viewitem=

Cab mounts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380108988456

I agree about the rivet heads though, they suck. I used my air hammer to chisel them off, my die grinder wasn't powerful enough/the right tool for the job compared to the trusty old air hammer. If you use an air hammer, do yourself a favor and wear earplugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_88 View Post
only you don't smack balls with your drive shaft...unless...oh, never mind...I will leave that for now...
pocket-rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
crushor

Well...here is some food for thought.

Rivet removal was no chore at all. Die grinder ripped them off in a hurry, however, the other bolts, sleeves inside the bushings, etc...nightmare. Quite to the point, that I decided that cutting the bolts, and heating the shackles to remove the bushings was probably not a wise move. I felt that the shackles would end up failing, with the rust on them, and the fact that I too had one of the shackle to frame mounts fail, and the spring was also riding on the bottom of the bed.

During my call to LMC to order the remainder of the parts...mind you the truck is on stands as we speak, until next Wednesday...I did inquire as to the bolts that they sent me.

According to their catalog, the picture (if you look closely, as it is small) indicates that the bolt threads go to the end of the bolt. Yes, I know...it's not rocket science...however, the bolts that they sent me had a hex head shape, smaller than the head of the bolt in diameter, but about 1 1/4 to 1 3/8" long. To the point, that they would not mount in the shackle to mount position without impacting the frame of the truck. Has anyone else had this issue. It is a simple fix with a die grinder, however, as far as a factory replacement part...well...

LMC is being nice enough to look into this issue and call me back. I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Caulk04

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 2wd Stepside
I use this vehicle for: Transportation to work/beater
Caulk04 is on a distinguished road

I just did rear hangers and shackles on my 97 2wd this evening. I got the parts on ebay (two hangers, two shackles and all hardware) for under $100 shipped.

Removing the bed is the only way to go, it's really easy. The only real hassle I had was getting the bolts out of the leaf spring bushing. Lots of beating, swearing, sweating and roughly 1.5hr later I had them both out.

A 4" angle grinder will make short work of the rivet heads, then and air hammer to knock them through.

All in all, a pretty simple job if you have a reasonably equipped garage. Just time a little physical and time consuming.
Caulk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
crushor

Well, mine is sitting on jackstands as we speak. I am down to removing the shackles...with which I am going to use my die grinders and cut them off. Just waiting on parts...and of course next Wednesday to arrive so I can finally get it back on the road.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
Rufus

Vehicle Year: 92
Rufus is on a distinguished road

When I replaced my shackles and hangers the worst part was the bolts through the bushings too. After some head scratching, cussing and a few beers, I turned an adapter and reciever and pressed it out with a ball joint press. If I tried hammering out the bolt, the bushing would just adsorb the shock and nothing moved. I did my hangers with the bed on. While I was at it I replaced the rear cab mounts with some home made buggers 1/8" thick....that should last a while.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote