Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Suspension & Armor > PreRunners

PreRunners Dedicated to legendary desert racer and Ranger driver Manny Esquerra.

View Poll Results: What do you think is better for desert racing?
2wd Ranger 140 65.12%
4WD Ranger 75 34.88%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #21

Vehicle Year: 85 & 94 & Looki
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: driving
8594 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayCo 7s View Post
yeah considering the class 11 volkswagens and class 5 have 4x4 in the silt beds . dude come on... why dont all the big money class 7 trucks have 4x4 .cause they cant afford it? yeah right its not worth carrying around all that sh*t for using it once if that... plus you dont want more mechanical parts to fail on you . simplicity is also a big factor sometimes
Unwadd em!
I have fawking both 4 & 2WD, and have run both at speed, and been doing it for over 30 years.
If you want 2WD that is just OK fine by me (I have one) I sure as hell do not give a damn what you race as long as you are having fun doing it!

Your points...

Big dollar???
C1 is about $175,000 to about $300,000... TT is about a quarter mill up.
Class 7s in averaging under $100k and 7 is less then that, chump change by comparison!
Parts failures, more 2WD rigs DNF'd then 4WD.
The 4WD rigs that DNF'd were mostly due to parts that have nothing to do with the front drive.
Class 11 is the true ironman class and I have nothing but respect even at 2MPH through the silt....

Done.
8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #22
Ranger#1

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: jumping over the dez
Ranger#1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8594 View Post
The 4WD rigs that DNF'd were mostly due to parts that have nothing to do with the front drive.
thaat is what i was thinking i would think 4 wd is beefer than 2 wd
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...mcmahon/truck/
Ranger#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
TayCo 7s

Vehicle Year: 1989
I use this vehicle for: racing someday
TayCo 7s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to TayCo 7s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8594 View Post
Unwadd em!
I have fawking both 4 & 2WD, and have run both at speed, and been doing it for over 30 years.
If you want 2WD that is just OK fine by me (I have one) I sure as hell do not give a damn what you race as long as you are having fun doing it!

Your points...

Big dollar???
C1 is about $175,000 to about $300,000... TT is about a quarter mill up.
Class 7s in averaging under $100k and 7 is less then that, chump change by comparison!
Parts failures, more 2WD rigs DNF'd then 4WD.
Class 11 is the true ironman class and I have nothing but respect even at 2MPH through the silt....

Done.
i ment big dollar as in the teams that have more money than others in the class 7 (averaje joes vs. well off companies) .. forget about the trophys and class 1s jesus come on

100k class 7s huh... and class 7 cheaper... right...
maybe more 2wds failed because there is almost six times as many 2wd than
4wd.. please get your google facts straight

ivan stewart is the true ironman

period

2002 Ford Ranger 4 banger ! fabtech spindles,bilstein shocks, front and rear fiberglass fenders, flowmaster exhaust, k&n cold air intake, 33x12.50 R15 BFgoodrich tires, tube bumper w/skidplate.
TayCo 7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayCo 7s View Post
i ment big dollar as in the teams that have more money than others in the class 7 (averaje joes vs. well off companies) .. forget about the trophys and class 1s jesus come on

100k class 7s huh... and class 7 cheaper... right...
maybe more 2wds failed because there is almost six times as many 2wd than
4wd.. please get your google facts straight

ivan stewart is the true ironman

period
Enjoy
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #25
84projectFORD

Vehicle Year: 1984
I use this vehicle for: anger management
84projectFORD is on a distinguished road

ok guys the whole reason we started this forum part was for helpful info and on ideas that people have and would like to try. Every person has their own opinion and is entitled to it but bullshit fighting with eachother is not what we are here for. save it for another place. I might be comin across harsh on this but i dont want this forum to turn inot a dramarangers. there is a reason i like this one so much because there is no of this cussin eachother out and sayin "my opinion is always right and everyone should abide by it".

Anyhow, i prefer 2wd over 4wd due to how cheap it is and how readily avaible parts are. now when your racing long distance, chances are you will prerun the coarse first and find the deep silt beds and bad hill climbs. thats when you find your ways around it or best trail up it.

4wd is a great back up and would be great on a prerunner but for racing application i do not believe it is the best way. should something break, bend or sieze in the front end that part will most likely be more expensive than something on a 2wd and things will break. in all the desert races i have seen and been in though i have yet to see where you have to have 4wd to make it to the finish line. To me a 4wd is just not worth it, its too expensive to buy and to fix nor is it practical in my eyes but there are others out there that think differently. to each his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblum View Post
Actually Trophy Trucks outrun everything else because they have 800+ HP and cycle over 2 feet (sometimes 3) of suspension travel and spend hours tuning shocks with quad bypasses and coil-overs all around. If you spend $700 000+ it's hard not to beat the other classes.

Also most Trophy Trucks are 2wd, I can only think of one that was built 4wd and I can't even remember who built it so chances are it wasn't too significant and probably didn't do well enough to remember lol jk jk.

My vote is on 2wd for racing but since I live in BC I would definately build a 4wd if I could. Funny thing is I am building a 2wd anyways haha.
yes all TT are 2wd drive except for the terrible herbst trophy truck. the problem with 4wd in a TT is the limit to wheel travel and now you are turning more mass which can put more load on all teh drive line parts and cause premature failure. the most the herbst can run is 20" reliably. reg TT's run 27+ up front
1984 Ranger: rc, lwb, 4.0, M50D, Threat Motorsports 6" over equal lenght beams, swing set steering and dana 44 knuckles, glassed front fenders, Giant 64" rear leafs (21" travel!), 9" soon to be trussed & spooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oaks
Just Because Your 2wd Is Lifted - Doesn't Make It A PreRunner!
84projectFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #26
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not start with the bickering.

It's just a poll.

I'm sure people have their own reason for choosing 2WD or 4WD.

People can have the same arguements all day long about whether to have a manual or automatic in a trail rig.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #27
TayCo 7s

Vehicle Year: 1989
I use this vehicle for: racing someday
TayCo 7s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to TayCo 7s

dramarangers... LoL that was a good one

2002 Ford Ranger 4 banger ! fabtech spindles,bilstein shocks, front and rear fiberglass fenders, flowmaster exhaust, k&n cold air intake, 33x12.50 R15 BFgoodrich tires, tube bumper w/skidplate.
TayCo 7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #28
DirtyBaconRacing

DirtyBaconRacing is on a distinguished road

TT have 800hp, spool, and 26"+ of front travel......the only 4wd TT i can think of is the old Macpherson TT form the late 90s......when u are going 120+, u dont really need 4wd.....and when u get in the sticky stuff, u always got that spool to get u out
DirtyBaconRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave@threat View Post
Who cares really? Run it! You can pay big bucks for a race truck weather its 2 or 4wd but that doesn't mean it comes with talent. If your a good driver you can get though the worst desert with an open diff 2 flats and 5 cylinders.....

No problems here
Old 12-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave@threat View Post
You sir have a "4wd for the right task" until you can do it all in a 2wd then your still lacking talent... I'm just messing with ya haha!
True nuff!
I build em for real drivers, and I only think I'm fast... when I'm sleeping!