• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After A 4 year Hiatus.... I'm about to be back, and have questions

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's been a long while since I was in the Ranger scene with my old truck:

But I'm picking up a low mile 2wd 99 extended cab with the step side bed on the cheap with a knocking 3.0 under the hood for an excellent price, and am going to line up a 99 donor explorer.

So I'm extremely familiar with the swap already, but the main issue that I never solved before parting out the project was the tuning options...

SCT was near useless and I used a 'sniper' tuner to get around the limitations at the time, but could never get the truck to stay in 3rd gear past ~5500 or so due to some kind of hard safety in the ECU.

Are there any tuners out there that have a good SCT baseline tune for us yet?

Also, I assume Torque Monster are the only header options still?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Headers are a major challenge.

Al's Headers may have shut down production of them, Ford Performance Parts headers are long out of production and OBX's copies of the Torque Monsters are nearly has hard to come by as the "real deal" from Al's.

There are rumors that Robert, the designer of the TM's is considering getting back into the game, but his availability was worse than Al's so that too might be a long shot.

All three options do show up on the used market, but that's a hit and miss, anything but a sure fire source.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Headers are a major challenge.

Al's Headers may have shut down production of them, Ford Performance Parts headers are long out of production and OBX's copies of the Torque Monsters are nearly has hard to come by as the "real deal" from Al's.

There are rumors that Robert, the designer of the TM's is considering getting back into the game, but his availability was worse than Al's so that too might be a long shot.

All three options do show up on the used market, but that's a hit and miss, anything but a sure fire source.
Does anyone have a reliable method of contact to Robert?

My inlaws own a machine shop, and I'd love to get a group buy together in a manner that could actually help amp-up production.

I've emailed OBX directly, but doubt I'll hear from them :-(

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welp; picked up the truck and the donor.

Donor is a 2000 2wd V8 with grey interior.

The Ranger is getting the drive line, front bumper, rear axle, and bucket seats out of the donor.

The Toothy grille is off of my old 1998!!!

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
looks very similar to what I just started Dasfinc. What year is the Explorer? (I have the a 99 Explorer so far, but not the Ranger yet - though "2000" is my first choice.
I figure I'm going to be painfully slow, so I'll be watching your thread with great interest! lol
Are you converting to manual transmission as well?

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>>>

Welp; picked up the truck and the donor.

Donor is a 2000 2wd V8 with grey interior.
==================
NICE find! Those 2wd 5.0 Expos are hard to find........What'd ya give for it if ya don't mind the askin?

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled the engine and trans and (Surprise) Transfercase today.

Truck has 2wd hubs and no front axles... Turned out it also has a front Diff and Xfer case............. Oh well, This means I'm going to manual swap instead of auto since I still have to source a trans.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Hmmmm.....

Pulled the engine and trans and (Surprise) Transfercase today.
Truck has 2wd hubs and no front axles... Turned out it also has a front Diff and Xfer case............. Oh well, This means I'm going to manual swap instead of auto since I still have to source a trans.
===================
So the Expo is AWD, but somebody swapped 2wd hubs onto it? Strange!

Is it a true transfer case or a dummy?

Don't forget to snag the hood hinges off the Expo before you scrap it, makes for a nice mod on the Ranger, no more hood prop:icon_thumby:.

Last edited:

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
===================
So the Expo is AWD, but somebody swapped 2wd hubs onto it? Strange!

Is it a true transfer case or a dummy?

Don't forget to snag the hood hinges off the Expo before you scrap it, makes for a nice mod on the Ranger, no more hood prop:icon_thumby:.
The front diff is completely wrecked (makes awful noises trying to hand spin it, and the Xfer case input still spins both sides.

I think someone many moons ago had an AWD explorer with bad wheel bearings and a dying front diff with little money made an executive decision to go 2wd...

Thanks for the reminder!!! I'll pull those off right now!

I paid $675 for the truck, as it was actually a running and driving explorer with a V8 and leather.

Had I known it didn't have a 2wd tail shaft I probably would have offered another $100-150 less to be honest, but it gives me an excuse to do the M5odR2 swap. My wife is fully on board for that as she hates driving automatic.

I only paid $300 for the ranger and it only has 86k on it.

Last edited:

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Awesome build and another manual swap, will love to see the progress..

Does anyone have a reliable method of contact to Robert?

My inlaws own a machine shop, and I'd love to get a group buy together in a manner that could actually help amp-up production.

I've emailed OBX directly, but doubt I'll hear from them :-(
I emailed OBX a while back and they did respond. They simply said "the headers are not available".

I'm not sure why, but it has to be either TM pursed an issue of them being copies, or they just didn't sell many at all.. And although there are droves of V8 explorers out there I bet they didn't sell many at all, so they canned it from their production.

The part number and link was pulled from the obx website earlier this year, and I doubt we will see anymore ever shipping from OBX...

I am just sticking with the oem cast ones for now as they are a little better than the oem flattened tube ones. I don't have any desire to make headers, the 2wd 98+ frame is real tight on the driver side, but I am open to trying some mustang or other headers that I could modify a bit to work, but pics are so deceiving when trying to get a feel if something might fit...

I saw on some other forums that guys were using these Southwest Speed universal swap headers in a ranger gt40p swap and they fit, but of course there were no pictures of them in a truck...

https://www.amazon.com/SOUTHWEST-HEADERS-260-351-WINDSOR-NOSTALGIA/dp/B019NQ5R54/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1477155578&sr=1-6&keywords=302+swap+header

Last edited:

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I actually heard Back from OBX, they said they were 30-90 days out because they were back order.

Side-note: Soooooon -

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I actually heard Back from OBX, they said they were 30-90 days out because they were back order.

Side-note: Soooooon -

Wow, that's great news if they are indeed not actually discontinued!

What's the sizes and offset specs on those wheels?

Blacksheep Josh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm curious about the picture in the first post. Said it was a Supercharged 5.0? Which supercharger and how did you adapt it to the intake? Custom made plate or premade? Also wondering how you kept temps down.

Thanks!

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, that's great news if they are indeed not actually discontinued!

What's the sizes and offset specs on those wheels?
I'm not super optimistic about OBX coming back after asking around, I guess they've been 'coming back' for like a year...

I'm working with the Mfg. of the FRPP ones to see if I can't bring them back righ now actually. I've started a small Facebook group and will setup a store for swap parts as well, we've lacked a good vendor for these things forever!!!

The wheels are stock 2013 Mustang GT wheels, I'll have to run spacers, but they look pretty hot on the ranger IMO :)

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm curious about the picture in the first post. Said it was a Supercharged 5.0? Which supercharger and how did you adapt it to the intake? Custom made plate or premade? Also wondering how you kept temps down.

Thanks!
Was the Explorer Express kit that has long since been out of production sadly.

I used a Taurus Efan and a 4 core rad and never had any heat issues thankfully.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals