• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft Position Sensor... Where?!

joel_sfb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I've got a 1992 Ranger with the 2.3L and I've been having some problems with it. First I noticed my gas mileage had been dropping (thought maybe because of the hills as I just moved to San Diego from Orlando). Then it was starting sometimes with the key and sometimes it wouldn't, but it would always fire up with a push start. Now it refuses to start with the key. I got a code scanner and pulled some codes. Everything I have read and everything I have been told points to a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. So today I went and picked one up. It looks like this:

Now I have looked all over my engine bay and can not for the life of me find where this damn thing goes. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find any solid information on the 2.3L engine but all of the other engines have them on the back of the engine and in front of the firewall. I've looked, I don't see it. My truck has distributorLESS ignition system and should have this sensor. I am starting to believe it doesn't exist. Anyone have a picture, diagram, or detailed description of where this thing is? Thanks in advance!

joel_sfb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I just found this.. http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0d/3a/43/0900823d800d3a43/repairInfoPages.htm which says that the 1992 2.3L engine doesn't use a Camshaft Position Sensor. Although the 2.3L that do use it are located in front under the timing belt cover. Maybe it's my Crankshaft Position Sensor after all? I didn't think the truck would run at all if the Crankshaft Position Sensor was bad? How come I can push start it fine. This has me confused!

shatteredsoul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have seen a crankshaft position sensor starting to go bad and the car would start ,run and drive fine for about 15-20 minutes then just up and die.It would not restart for a good while then it would start right up and do the same thing.If you are getting to run after pushing it off then I would think it could possibly be the starter solenoid(on the fender).Have someone turn over the engine while you use a screwdriver inbetween the post on the starter solenoid if it starts then thats the culprit.It could also be the starter giving out take it off(standard tranny has 3 bolts and one wire to take off) and have it tested.My truck had the same problem and it ended up being my starter was on its last leg.

BobbyB2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
On my 94 2.3 it is located just below the Ignition Control Module. Looking from the front, this is on the lower/forward part of the engine block on the right. I replaced mine to clear a Cylinder ID code. It's not to be confused with the Crankshaft Sensor which is somewheres by the timing belt/damper I believe. Happy hunting.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Camshaft positioning sensor is located where the dist.used to be on the older engines.They were installed in the Cail.trucks to meet emissions.Shouldn't have anything to do with the running of the truck,doesn't need it to run,have unhooked them on the race truck and made no difference.I think you will need it to pass Ca.emission inspection though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals