• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.3T into 85 ranger??

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I blew the 2.3 in my truck the other day and I came across a motor in the local ads. Its an 88 2.3T out of a turbo coupe. It doesn't have the turbo. Mine was an efi 2.3. What issues might I run into if I try to put this motor in my truck?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
You will need he proper engine management to run the turbo motor with the turbo. If you are thinking about using it without, just don't... The lower compression pistons are going to cause issues with performance without boost.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What kind of issues would it cause? Lack of power causing more stress to the internals type of issues?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
No, its just not going to have power. Fuel mileage will drop. They only have 100 hp to start, you bump it down to 8.5:1 compression and it will drop to like 70 hp....

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I swapped in a 1988 2.3T long block into my ex-brother in-laws 1983 Ranger that had a 2.0. I found a D-port intake from a 1980 carbed 2.3 Mustang a long with a Motorcraft 2bbl from a 2.8 V6 Ranger. The truck ran like a raped ape compared to the 2.0 that was in it. Swapping out the carb, and intake like I did will really wake it up.

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Yes Kenneth, it would be an improvement over a worn out 2.0! haha but the 2.3 was a much more powerful motor than the 2.0 stock.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dog can run faster then a Ranger with a 2.0 can LOL. But seriously after the NA 2.3T swap it could chirp the tires in 3rd gear (with a little bit of fine tuning :D ). On another note if a NA 2.3 is so worn out, and if the 2.3T engine is in better shape internally it should have noticeably more power than the worn out NA 2.3.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals