• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cash for clunkers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was poking around on You Tube and got into the Cash for Clunkers videos and came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54tF54mi8o

I think I can safely assume that most of us here think that the program was a scam/wast of time/money. But it wasn't the sodium silicate the dealers had to put in that killed that engine. Most of the videos I saw where the vehicle lasted a long time were always old ford trucks, coincidence?

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think I can safely assume that most of us here think that the program was a scam/wast of time/money.
You can say that again.

The sheer economic waste for the billions spent, the waste of hardware, and environmental waste. It was a loser on all fronts.

The cost of something in dollars has a rough bearing on the total environmental footprint. A gallon of fuel that is pretty obvious it puts X amount of pollutants when burned. Something like buying a pound of steel may not be so obvious, but there is the fuel burned to mine it, the energy to refine it, shape it, transport it and to get it into your hands.

Every new vehicle purchased has a significant up front environmental footprint even before it has provided any service. Then there is the smaller incremental footprint involved when operating the vehicle.

The longer the vehicle is driven that up front footprint gets divided by the number of miles. You take a vehicle out early at 30K mils the environmental footprint per mile driven is much higher than one that is run for 200K miles. And even when the vehicle is off the road salvaged parts continue to spread that environmental footprint making the most of what it took in original manufacture.

To intentionally destroy engines, shorten vehicles on the road life any amount blocks getting the most return on the up front environmental impact. Even if replaced by a more fuel efficient, less polluting new vehicle, that new vehicle has its own up front environmental impact to spread out over its life and it will take a very long time if ever reached a net positive environmental benefit.

And if one of those new vehicles gets taken out of service early because of an accident, it is a big waste of environmental impact for little miles while if one of the clunkers were taken out of service, they already spread out their initial production environmental impact.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's all about removing any trace of what was...you know, products that last and can be serviced/maintained instead of thrown away or traded in for an upgraded, toy-laden plastic mobile. If you don't bury the past and its leftovers, it gets pretty smelly and people wonder what's going on...looking for answers instead of another toy that entertains.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Hell I wish I had my B2 back in the cash for clunkers scam. I would have taken it in got my cash, then went on craigslist and found one in better condition. It would be considered trading up at that point LOL.

Seriously...that cash for clunkers program was a complete scam. Wonder how many of the vehicles that were sold due to that crap are actually still driven buy the person who bought it initially....AKA how many of those vehicles have been repossessed because the idiot traded in a vehicle because that "cash" sounded so great but forgot to realize that they couldn't afford a new vehicle in the first place which was why they were driving an older vehicle.

There are a few dealerships here that still do the push, pull, or drag gimmick to try and lure people in. They claim they'll pay $2,000 on any vehicle regardless of condition. Well if that was the case the scrap yards would be paying a lot more money to those who bring a vehicle in to scrap.

Ok, so now you have this cash for clunkers deal. Which nobody really knows how many of each make and model were really turned in, but I've seen stories of some damn nice classics be sacrificed for that scam. Pretty sad deal. Here I can't afford to do what I'd like to do with my B2, yet there were perfectly good rigs that were just crushed because of this scam. That many of us TRS members could have got many great parts off of, or hell even whole vehicles for that matter.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Most trucks actually ran fine, but they throttled them to death. Some of the vehicles would have made good trucks, some just needed a simple fix. And they let these scum bags destroy them.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yeah, pisses me off too.

I could go on and on about the waste of taking a decent and affordable vehicle out of circulation so that people who could not afford a new car might get a deal for buying a used one.

The saddest thing that I ever saw was a 1994 Ranger with a 4.0 in the pull a part for cash for clunkers...with only 28,000 miles on the odometer. it looked like a brand new truck.

AJ

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
yeah, pisses me off too.

I could go on and on about the waste of taking a decent and affordable vehicle out of circulation so that people who could not afford a new car might get a deal for buying a used one.

The saddest thing that I ever saw was a 1994 Ranger with a 4.0 in the pull a part for cash for clunkers...with only 28,000 miles on the odometer. it looked like a brand new truck.

AJ
Holy crap a brand new ranger that got destroyed...yep that don't surprise me. I know that the word Jeep here is a pretty sore word around here, however there were thousands of them that disappeared as well. Not happy about that either. Still miss my jeep, but the B2 serves it purpose as point a to point b transportation on the cheap. I think all in all I've got about $1500 dumped into my B2 that includes the tires, purchase price, title, taxes, etc. Overall I don't have much into it really just keep it running is my main concern. I'm going to drive it till the engine dies, tranny dies (it whines like crazy in overdrive), or the tires wear out whichever comes first. Then it will get scrapped due to the terrible body condition, and noticed some frame rust as well the other day. Then I'll probably look into another B2 or a Ranger.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, I was upset with the whole C4C program...and even more upset when the junkyards started crushing everything older than 1998. I was considering swapping my Ranger in that until I found out it only applied to new vehicles (in Canada) and I looked into how much that would cost in the long run...better to simply keep and upgrade what I had as long as possible and maybe consider walking when that option runs the course.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
When you think about it, the folks who could buy new cars (financed or not) to take advantage of that program are not the sort of people who were driving really run down...clunkers. Sure they may have had some true clunker to trade in, sure maybe someone who never had a nice car was getting the opportunity finally to get a new one, but most who get brand new cars aren't driving trashy ones. They are often driving and trading in cars that many who can't afford a new car would love to get their hands on.

The who think I just find a waste and it just disgusts me.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Definetly not green to wreck a functioning automobile on purpose, just to buy another functioning automobile.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes there were a lot of good rigs scrapped in the CFC program.....the yards around here had a special section for them. in fact a few of my k5 buddies pillaged a k5 blazer that went to CFC.. there is a video on youtube of a ranger....that program was a joke..... all it did was thin out the heard of used cars and trucks on the market that hard working people buy.....I have drove old rigs my whole life.... many of them beaters( 77 nova,82 datsun 310,72 chev 3/4 ton, a 3 into 1 camaro project 2 79s and a 76,85 mazda rx7,80 toyota truck, 80 celica,91 chev lumina, 91 buick century and my current ranger) most of my rigs are put together with junkyard parts...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to find a 302 when that was going on. It was sickening the number of low mile perfect running 302/351W's the local dealer blew up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals