• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard starting 4.0, not getting fuel?

fishon1213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all....I have a 94 with a 4.0 that has been hard to start. I have to crank it over for a good 3-5 seconds before it fires. Once started it runs very well. I have noticed that if I pump the pedal like a carbed vehicle before I turn it over it usually starts more quickly. This hard starting issue seemed to begin after I changed my fuel filter. The fuel filter was installed in the correct direction and there are no fuel leaks. Anyone ever have this issue? Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Couple of things to check.

But first try this test, turn key to on, count to 3 then turn key off, repeat 3 times then try to start.
Each time the key is turned on the fuel pump will come on for 2 seconds then shut off, this is to prime the system and get pressure up to 35psi in the fuel rail.
If there is a leak in the system it will lose pressure when it sits, priming it 3 times(key on/off) should bring pressure above 30psi.

With fuel injected engines "pumping the gas pedal" doesn't do anything while cranking, holding gas pedal down all the way can clear a flooded engine faster, lets more air in, but "pumping" doesn't do anything because TPS(throttle position sensor) is not used until RPMs are above 500(engine started).
On some GM engines holding gas pedal down while cranking actually shuts off injectors, this is done to clear flooded engine, not sure if Fords do this as well.

Things to check:
On the fuel rail is the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it will have a vacuum line attached to it.
Remove the vacuum line and check it for fuel or fuel smell, replace FPR if you smell fuel in that line.
FPR diaphragm can start leaking as it gets older, this reduces fuel pressure when sitting and also causes flooding as fuel is sucked into intake via vacuum line.

After engine is warmed up, shut it off and remove the air plenum/hose from the front of the intake, smell intake for fuel smell, if you have a leaking injector fuel will drip out when engine is off and evaporate on the warm engine metal, which you will smell easily.
Leaking injector causes fuel pressure to drop while engine sits, also a flooded engine, so slow restart.

The in tank fuel pump has a check valve, it allows fuel to only flow out of the tank.
Unfortunately the only way to test this check valve is with a fuel pressure tester attached to the fuel rail's schrader valve.

But if the key on/off 3 times test causes engine to start quicker then you most likely have a pressure leak somewhere, if there is no fuel on the ground or in the intake or in the FPR's vacuum line then ................process of elimination is the check valve leaking pressure/fuel back into the tank.
You can rent fuel pressure testers and some auto parts stores have loaners as well.

Why did you change your fuel filter?
It is good to change these every 5 years but was there a symptom that caused you to change it now?

Also check the tail pipe, run your finger on the inside of it and see if it comes out with black residue, this is a sign of running too rich, so possible flooding.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals