• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L Duratec head on pre-1995 2.3?

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I just had a thought after looking at a catalogue from LMCTruck.

My thought is this: The 2.3L Duratec motor is a DOHC motor. The engine size is listed as a 2.3, but I do know that it is a 143 cid* engine. Now, having said that, what I want to know is, have there been anyone to be brave enough to see if the 2.3 Duratec head could be mated to an older 2.3 block? I know that the Duratec head has cam sensors, but if it is mated into an older system that did not have those, would there be any problem with using the head if the sensor isn't hooked up? And is there any perceived difficulty in using that head, considering that the 2.3 Duratec is a 4-plug engine, versus the 8-plug head that is the older style?

I'm just bouncing ideas around in my head, and thought that if the 2.3 Duratec head could be used, I can foresee a 2.3 turbo build with a DOHC head, considering that I've seen videos of a Volvo DOHC head on a Mustang 2.3 that uses only 4 plugs.

Thoughts?

*Note: There is a slight difference between the older and newer 2.3s; the older one is 140 cid, and the newer one is 143 cid.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Never heard of anyone trying this...but I do know we have a member on here that put the new 2.3 into an older Ranger...

I guess we would need someone with time and money to tear them apart to see if they match...but I doubt it...I remember seeing a schematic of the engine (one of those inside diagrams showing the parts, but that's the closest I've even come to one...

Check the internet to see what's out there though...I'm sure someone has posted something about the engine by now

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
They are entirely different motors, I won't say it won't work, but that's only because with enough determination and the right tools anything is possible. But the Volvo head swap works because of the head bolt pattern being identical to the ford head bolt pattern, and the bore spacings are the same.

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just out of curiosity, what is the Volvo model that used the compatible head? Or, what is the part number? And would that head be compatible with the roller cam and hardware that Ford used?

Also, just to let people know, I heard last night that the new Lincoln MKZ is getting a 2.3L EcoBoost engine capable of 275 HP. Anybody know if this engine is already in production, and on what vehicles if it is?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
That ecoboost is rumored to be an option in the mustang....

The Volvo 940, and similar modles from the early 90's had the head you need. They made 2 different 2.3's those years, one is sohc the one you want is dohc obviously. Its not a direct bolt on because you have to redo the timing belt tensioner, and some oil and water passage work. Also it requires a new intake and exhaust to be made.

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, then, what about this: Would it be possible to use a Volvo 2.3L that had that head? And would it fit into a Ranger? The other questions are would the motor mounts match up, would the main harness from a Ranger or Turbocoupe work, and would you be able to put in forged internals to run a turbo?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
No, the Volvo 2.3 is entirely different block wise, you would have to make motor mounts and use the Volvo trans.
The harness isn't the same either. It takes a lot of work to do the Volvo head swap, and probably more to do a motor swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals