Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > Need Urgent Help Fast!

Need Urgent Help Fast! For posting questions when you're in the middle of working on something and have to have an answer right now.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
rick68

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
rick68 is on a distinguished road
Default 94 ford ranger problem

I have a 94 ford ranger! It will start good cold but doesn't run weel it act's like a miss or bad hesatation in it but after it get's hot and you cut it off it won't start by the key switch but you can drift start it and get it going! I have replaced plug's,wires,fuel regulator,coil pack,icm. so if anyone could help I'd greatly appriecaite it.also it has the 4.0l engine in it
rick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
black_demon69

Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger splash
I use this vehicle for: what ever I want
black_demon69 will become famous soon enoughblack_demon69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick68 View Post
I have a 94 ford ranger! It will start good cold but doesn't run weel it act's like a miss or bad hesatation in it but after it get's hot and you cut it off it won't start by the key switch but you can drift start it and get it going! I have replaced plug's,wires,fuel regulator,coil pack,icm. so if anyone could help I'd greatly appriecaite it.also it has the 4.0l engine in it
fuel pump / fuel filter or both

did you check fuel pressure? should be between 30 and 40 psi if i am recalling specs correctly.

if pump is bad take bed off its much easier than pulling the tank. and replace fuel filter while you are at it
black_demon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
RonD

Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to behold

Just to be clear, engine runs rough when cold but runs OK when warm?

When warm the starter turns over the engine at a good speed but engine will not start?

Could be a couple of separate issues.
Starter motor could be on it's way out, when warm the starter could be drawing too many amps which lowers the voltage at the coil, so crank starting won't work when engine/starter is warm but bump starting does.
Cold starter motor doesn't draw the extra amps.
I would test coil voltage with engine warmed up and starter turning, should be 10v or higher.
Could also be corrosion in wire ends, this raises the resistance in the wire and so reduces the voltage going to the coil.
Warm wire has more resistance than cold wire, so starts fine when wires are cold but not when wires are warm because of the extra resistance from the corrosion.

Fuel injected engines can't use a standard choke plate for cold starts, they use a sensor to tell the computer that the engine is cold and to run engine rich until it warms up, so poor operation when cold could mean a "choke" issue.
This is called the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, it is a two wire sensor.
There is also a one wire sender that looks similar, it is used for the dash board temp gauge.
two wire=ECT for computer << this is the Choke for EFI engines
one wire=sender for gauge

Easy to test this sensor
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=28

Last edited by RonD; 09-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
fordracing60

Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: fun
fordracing60 is on a distinguished road

I had this problem awhile back. When its warmed and running wiggle the wires to the coil pack. Hope this helps
fordracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote