Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Colepop

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Colepop is on a distinguished road
Default 4 wheel drive question

2004 Ranger 4X4 hubs are locked in. Won't come out. Dash switch works. Transfer case ( with shaft removed) will lock in and out with switch but when you put front tires off ground the front axles turn

What do I check to unlock hubs? Both axles to hubs turn as well as the front axle

Did we mess up the transfer case by driving it slow (under 35 mph)?

I appreciate all help and advice

Colin
Colepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

Nothing is broken at all. All 2001+ trucks are live axle front ends. The axle shafts are splined directly to the wheel bearing/hub assembly. There is no unlocking them.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Colepop

Vehicle Year: 2004
Colepop is on a distinguished road
Default Now I am really confused

So the axles from each front tire always turn and the front (rear end? for lack of a better term) also turns the axle to the transfer case? In 2 wheel drive?

I am totally confused now. I thought the switch activated the hubs and the transfer case to engage?

Thanks
Colepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colepop View Post
So the axles from each front tire always turn and the front (rear end? for lack of a better term) also turns the axle to the transfer case? In 2 wheel drive?
Yes, that's correct. Everything is supposed to always be engaged, even in 2 wheel drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colepop View Post
I am totally confused now. I thought the switch activated the hubs and the transfer case to engage?

Thanks
No, the switch only engages the transfer case. It does nothing with the hubs.

All 2001 and newer Rangers are like this. Ford could never figure out how to build a reliable automatic locking hub, and customers are too lazy and don't want manual hubs, so Ford finally said, "screw it, leave 'em locked in all the time."
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
88_Eddie
Motorboater (.Y.)

Chopper Challenge Champion

Vehicle Year: 1988, 2000
Vehicle Model: Bronco II (Eddie Bauer), Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Annoying the old ball and chain.
88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute

unless you put the tcase in 4wd, everything will spin but it's not being given any power. some jeeps are the same way
2000 Explorer 4.0 2WD DD
Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11.
The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedding Crashers
What'd you do with them? Motorboat? You play the motorboat? You motorboatin son of a bitch! You old sailor you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
88_Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
wildbill23c

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, 2.8LV6 4x4 5 speed
I use this vehicle for: Work & Commuting
wildbill23c is a jewel in the roughwildbill23c is a jewel in the roughwildbill23c is a jewel in the rough

The front axle is a "live axle" meaning even in 2WD all of the front drive train components are still spinning. This kind of helps give you the shift on the fly 4WD setup without breaking the auto-locking hubs. Jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels, yes the front axle shafts will spin as well as the front drive shaft to the t-case.

Pressing the 4x4 button or turning the knob will just engage the transfer case. There are not any hubs in the front end as you would think in a conventional 4x4 truck.

The problem with this system is all the drive train components in the front end are always spinning creating drag and reduced fuel economy, I believe somewhere in the tech section there's a write up on converting this system to manual hubs (which makes more sense to me).

Yep people are so lazy today that heaven forbid they had to turn 2 knobs and pull a lever to engage 4WD. I personally like this system much better, no relying on electronics.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post

The problem with this system is all the drive train components in the front end are always spinning creating drag and reduced fuel economy, I believe somewhere in the tech section there's a write up on converting this system to manual hubs (which makes more sense to me).
Dude, it costs like .2 MPG. The drag factor adds up to insignificant losses over the life of the vehicle.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
wildbill23c

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, 2.8LV6 4x4 5 speed
I use this vehicle for: Work & Commuting
wildbill23c is a jewel in the roughwildbill23c is a jewel in the roughwildbill23c is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
Dude, it costs like .2 MPG. The drag factor adds up to insignificant losses over the life of the vehicle.
Really? I figured spinning all the other components would really drag down fuel economy. So is it the same for say an older ranger with manual hubs and leaving them locked in which so many people say is an absolute no-no? I find it funny I ran around in my 88 Ford F-250 with the hubs locked in all winter and never had a problem. And never noticed any huge loss in fuel economy. Someone told me one time that leaving the hubs locked in caused horrible fuel economy loss spinning all the front drive train components. Who knows, all I know is its a truck its not a fuel saver LOL. I guess it may make a slight difference but at less than 1mpg I don't see why people complain about it.

Thanks for the enlightment adsm08. Makes sense now, never thought of really figuring up the difference.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

The newer trucks have CV joints instead of u joints, they take it a lot better for the long term.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
JoshT
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1999
I use this vehicle for: Back-up DD, Hunting, ETC.
JoshT has a spectacular aura aboutJoshT has a spectacular aura aboutJoshT has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to JoshT Send a message via Yahoo to JoshT

They've pretty much covered the question, but I just wanted to clarify the below quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
I believe somewhere in the tech section there's a write up on converting this system to manual hubs (which makes more sense to me).
The 1998 through mid 2001 Rangers had the failure prone Pulse Vacuum Hub system. If they are working they are great, but when/if they fail it'll probably be in the middle of nowhere exactly when you need them. It is possible to modify those hubs to be permanently locked in or to be manually lockable, but once the modification is done it can't be reversed without replacing the hubs. The instructions in the Tech Library are for doing these mods, and they are very handy to get your 4wd back working when you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere. They will not work on the mid 2001 and up Rangers with live axles.
1999 Ranger 4wd - Back-up DD/Hunting truck
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre - For Sale (eventually)
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX - DD
JoshT is online now   Reply With Quote