Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > Bronco II & Explorer Specific

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
jkufen

Vehicle Year: 1986, 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Trail Rider, Street dragger
jkufen is on a distinguished road
Default 1991 Ford Ranger Blower Motor Relay Location?

I am having issues with my 91 ranger's ac. There is no power at the plug for the blower motor or resistor. There is power at the fan switch on the panel. If I put my ohm meter from the blower motor to the fan switch I get a positive reading so that tells me everything in that circuit is good. Anyways is there another blower relay located somewhere on the truck that I could check? I know I read somewhere that there isn't a relay from like 83-90 but I am not sure about 91. I have checked all of the fuses and everything is good so I can't figure out why there isn't power going from in the cab to under the hood. I also used the ohm meter to check the fan switch just in case it wasn't relaying the circuit and the switch came back functional. Any ideas where an issue could be? Everything seems good but I can't follow the wiring harness very far.
jkufen is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

behind the passenger side headlight, check out the tech library.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
jkufen

Well I checked for the relay and I guess my truck doesn't have one. So I am back to the drawing board on why I don't have power at the blower motor.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Well, power to the switch should tell you that the problem isn't with a relay, if it has one.

Power into the switch also rules out fuses and a number of wiring issues.

But you say you don't have power after the switch.

Hmm. Sounds simple to me.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Goldberg
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
tidmarshsmiths5

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: Taking me to the outdoors and some light towing.
tidmarshsmiths5 is on a distinguished road

...wiring is hard for me so I'm not an expert by any means...as a matter of fact, I'm less than a novice!

I ordered one from RockAuto and replaced mine (it worked on high only but no other setting)...I think I paid $12 with shipping...may be worth looking into as the resistor could be bad...if not, you've got a wire issue...and that my friend is no fun (if you jiggle it, does it come on at all - the wires - move them around to see if you can get a contact but my bet is still the resistor)...good luck!
tidmarshsmiths5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidmarshsmiths5 View Post
...wiring is hard for me so I'm not an expert by any means...as a matter of fact, I'm less than a novice!

I ordered one from RockAuto and replaced mine (it worked on high only but no other setting)...I think I paid $12 with shipping...may be worth looking into as the resistor could be bad...if not, you've got a wire issue...and that my friend is no fun (if you jiggle it, does it come on at all - the wires - move them around to see if you can get a contact but my bet is still the resistor)...good luck!
If the resistor isnt getting power then it probably isnt the problem.

Think about electrical stuff like a road with a bunch of bridges along it. Each switch is a bridge. If something doesn't work you find the last place the power can get to and that is where the bridge is out.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Goldberg
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
jkufen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
If the resistor isnt getting power then it probably isnt the problem.

Think about electrical stuff like a road with a bunch of bridges along it. Each switch is a bridge. If something doesn't work you find the last place the power can get to and that is where the bridge is out.

Postin' from teh Galaxy
Yeah I went back and forth on whether the switch was bad or not. I put my ohm meter on the switch and there is a good current through the switch. I guess I could go to the parts yard and try and get one. I know new this thing runs $100 and that is why I was trying to avoid buying one. I guess this pay day I can run to the junk yard and snatch one off and get a compressor.