Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'boneshaker'
March 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'one'
March 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
bluebombersfan

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Sport
bluebombersfan is on a distinguished road
Default How hard is it to move the gas tank a little?

Thing is I bought a camper for my truck this past summer and I need to install the belly bar or whatever its called to the bottom of my frame. Problem is the gas tank is in my way. I can't bolt the darn thing because the gas tank is right beside the frame. I just can't get my hands in there to bolt it up.
I went to my shop and they wanted $150 to do this job I was like no thank you. Is this really that complicated to move the tank a little then back?

I don't think there is no other option, can't weld it either that would be to dangerous.
I was really disappointed with this whole thing. When I first bought it I was hoping I could do this for free, now I might have to shell out $150 plus tax to get this done.
bluebombersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & show your support? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Share it HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab 4 x 4
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 97RangerXLT

Not difficult to do. drive your truck around until you have a near empty tank.

Crawl under and remove the two bolts that hold the straps, and the tank should drop. the straps are held to the frame via t shaped notches and once you have them loose, a quarter turn either way should disengage them from the frame. Be sure to wear safety goggles as a whole ton of dirt will come down into your eyes when removing the bolts and tank.

You will also want to support the tank underneath so that it does not break the lines.
you might even get away with removing one strap and loosening the other. it will droop about 2 inches on the strapless side, that might get you enough room to do what you need to do.

Definitely not worth taking in for $150
AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc1024 View Post
Hey - we all have to help each other. Otherwise, we'd become an S10 forum and we'd all kill ourselves.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=13474
97RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
PanamaExpat

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B4000
I use this vehicle for: reckless experimentation
PanamaExpat is just really nicePanamaExpat is just really nicePanamaExpat is just really nicePanamaExpat is just really nice

If your tank has the skid plate it can be a bit more fun to get loose. If you run into a snag it only takes a few minutes and a buddy to remove the bed. 6 T55 bolts in the bed, 3 screws on the filler neck, unplug the tail light harness right behind the back bumper. Bed is really light weight but it is awkward to handle by yourself to lift it high enough to clear the frame and set it off to the side. Hence reason you need a buddy.

Just because I never finish anything doesn't mean I don't work on it.

Cheers:
PanamaExpat
AKA: Jim
PanamaExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
snake

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: The mighty Ranger
I use this vehicle for: cruising for chicks
snake is on a distinguished road

If you need to drop the tank down and not disconnect the lines use plastic milk crates- drop the tank down onto them while you work. Then lift one side up and connect a strap, raise the other and connect it. Works like a charm.
2002 XLT in wedgewood blue, 4.0 auto, 4 doors (no waiting) MP3, 3:55 limited slip rear, payload package, factory installed trailer hitch, side step bars. Built 7/31/2002, shipped 8/19/2002, purchased 9/25/2002 sold 8/2011.

2011 F-150 crewcab ecoboost twin turbo. Purchased 7/13/2011
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
pjtoledo
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger
pjtoledo is on a distinguished road

not that hard. had to move the tank on my 2000 4x4 to access the sway link stud a few years ago.

Perry
pjtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote