Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > Engine Conversions > V-8 Conversion Forums

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
OlBlue

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
OlBlue is on a distinguished road
Default 88 Ranger 302 Swap

I have a 1988 Ranger XLT 2.9, Im wanting to do a 302 swap. What Year of motor and trans would fit the best. It has a 2 inch body lift on it now.
OlBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
RangerSVT
Oct 09 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1996 2002
Vehicle Model: SAS Ranger SC 4x4 V8 Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Anger Management
RangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to RangerSVT

Any 302 engine will fit. Any car or explorer intake will fit. F and E series intakes will not fit. I suggest using a 96-97 explorer motor and ecu/harness for ease of wiring...

SVT

Member of the Turkey Bay Crew

SVT Build Thread (96 V8 Ranger)

ST Build Thread (02 V8 Sport Trac)

V8 swap Club/Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I'm almost done putting it in
RangerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSVT View Post
Any 302 engine will fit.
Probably not a big issue yet but stick with the pushrod 302/5.0's.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
RangerSVT
Oct 09 OTOTM

RangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
Probably not a big issue yet but stick with the pushrod 302/5.0's.
Good point. Any OHV will fit. However, the OHC 302 will also fit, but much more fabrication is needed. Then again, if you can afford $9k on a crate engine, your not worried about fitment issues

SVT

V8 swap Club/Info

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
OlBlue

Thanks for the info, I don't want to spend a fortune on this build. I am looking at older 302s I want to go carbureted. Would the wiring be more difficult if I chose the route ?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

Vehicle Year: 1983
I use this vehicle for: My DD, play toy
dangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to dangerranger83

Take a look at my build. Did a carb 302 swap on a roller engine that i converted to HO. I used an hei dizzy to eliminate a few wires.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

5.0 HO carbed, np435 with an np208 transfercase, 32 inch BFGoodrich M/T's, D30 SAS with 6.5 XJ coils, 63 inch leaves in rear.
dangerranger83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSVT View Post
Good point. Any OHV will fit. However, the OHC 302 will also fit, but much more fabrication is needed. Then again, if you can afford $9k on a crate engine, your not worried about fitment issues

SVT
A mere mortal Mustang GT (not Boss) crate is only $6k, the street value of one out of a wrecked Mustang or F-150 would likely be significantly less.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
RangerSVT
Oct 09 OTOTM

A crate engine is about $6800, the wiring harnes and ECU to run it is about $1900 and change. Add tax, your over $9k. I'll be looking for a wrecked 2011 5.0 in the next year or two, for my early bronco powerplant.

The wiring is not hard at all. The explorer 5.0's run off a 42 pin plug, which everything goes through. You only need about 5 wires of that plug for the motor to run. Add a couple more for oil pressure and water temp, add 3 more for OBD2 port. Splicing these wires into a couple of plugs off the original motor in your 88, and you will have a simple harness with no major wiring. Fuel lines should be plug and play, as they are long enough to reach from the trucks lines to the engine's lines. You can reuse the stock exhaust manifolds till you decide to upgrade to headers.
Going carb you will have to change out the intake manifold, rewire the fuel pump relay, install a fuel pressure regulator, as well as still wire up your oil pressure and water temp to the trucks harness. Unless you already have the intake and carb, they can be extra $$ not set aside for the build. I have done both, efi and carb to efi vehicle swaps, and I prefer staying with efi. To me, its much easier. I'd be happy to help you with the wiring if you need it...

SVT

V8 swap Club/Info

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
OlBlue

Thanks everyone for all the input, @RangerSVT so where would be the best place to get a motor etc.. And what would be a ballpark price for the whole swap?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
RangerSVT
Oct 09 OTOTM

If you can swing the cost up front, I strongly advise getting a donor so you will have everything you need (motor, trans, harness, ecu, cruise module[may or may not be the same design as the 94 model], throttle cable, alternator harness, power steering pressure line, radiator, and exhaust up to the trans xmember if you can get it. Otherwise, you will need to source these from a junkyard. I'm currently trying to source a 96-97 donor for Josh's (josh40601) D-ranged truck that I'm doing...

SVT

V8 swap Club/Info

Quote: