Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
dispatchrobb

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: DD
dispatchrobb is on a distinguished road
Default 2.9 slow starting issue

Have a BII with 2.9L and the 4.0L flywheel, clutch, and starter. It has to crank a couple times and it starts up, but when it's warm it doesn't start. I can crank and crank and crank and nothing. The battery is new, the starter is new. I had it at auto zone and they said the alt, batt and starter were good, and I've cleaned all the terminals. I can hook up jumper cables to it when it won't start and it cranks much faster and starts immediately. I had a battery charger on it and then it cranked up fast and started right up, but it seems like it goes down to a lower level and stays there.

My questions are, it's the 2.9 batt with 650 cca, so does the 4.0L starter need a bigger battery? Sometimes my Alt gauge reads a tad low, so is there a possibility that the battery is just not getting a full charge but the alt still tests in the normal range, or maybe the voltage regulator is bad?

Just looking for a place to start rather than just throwing a new alt on it and not fixing the problem.
dispatchrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1936/1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

My '89 did the same thing....ended up changing all the battery cables (and the extended cable that goes from the frame to the engine)......that solved my starting problems....(also upgraded to a 850 C.C.A. battery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
(Condensed Version) I have determined that every last Automotive Engineer is an atheist.......it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
*****All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up*****

The Congress who issued me a Machine Gun to kill as many of THEIR enemies as possible now wants my Winchester Model 1894 because I have PTSD!
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

The amp guage should never read discharge even a little do you have a ground wire from the alternator chassis to battery negative?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
a31ford
Electronics GURU

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT (Custom Frame) With a 3" body lift
I use this vehicle for: Working on "Breakout Box for ECM's"
a31ford is a name known to alla31ford is a name known to alla31ford is a name known to alla31ford is a name known to alla31ford is a name known to alla31ford is a name known to all

Many people overlook the ground wire, As doorgunner said...

Here's a hint, ever see a car coming at you with one really dim headlamp ?? THAT my son, is a bad ground.

Look at ALL, I repeat, ALL the grounds, engine to frame, engine to battery, battery to frame.

even 1 ohm of resistance in ANY of these, will turn a starter into a gutless wonder.

Greg
a31ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
dispatchrobb

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: DD
dispatchrobb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!

I forgot to mention that after it starts, the gauge lights pulse dim to bright to dim to bright about three times and the amp gauge needle follows the same pattern then it's all normal. lights don't appear to dim when I turn other things on or needle doesn't move with the blinker or anything like that. I'll check all my grounds again and see if that's it. The alternator seems to have all the wires attached, is the chassis ground from the alt to battery neg something I should add or should one of the wires already be attached? It's an "upgraded higher amp" alt the previous owner installed so maybe he missed something.
dispatchrobb is offline   Reply With Quote