• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger after airbag deployment - running rough

k_kindig11

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hit a deer tonight and it deployed my driver airbag. It busted out my headlight and did some body damage but didn't hurt my radiator or anything else important that I see. No fluid leaks that I can find. When I started it, it's rough starting and idles low and almost dies to the point I have to pump the gas or it might die. I limped it back home and it would would run rough part way and it seemed the gas pedal would cut out part time, then smooth out for a little while, then rough again etc. At each stop or slow down it would die and I had to pop the clutch the get it going again. I've read on here that upon airbag deployment there is an inertia switch that is suppose to shut off the fuel pump. Obviously it didn't shut it all the way off since I could limp it home but why would it be running so rough if no vital parts were damaged (that I can see... Disregarding electrical stuff). Could the inertia switch be "partially" cutting off fuel pump. I haven't tried resetting the switch yet. Any thoughts?. I was on my way to the hospital where my wife might be going into labor in the next day or two so the truck is at home now and waiting for me when I get to come back home..... Any help would be great. Truck is a '97 ranger 2.3L manual.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
weird! my wife's explorer flipped and the engine kept running until it seized up....maybe your vehicle safety wiring is defective & is intermittently shutting the fuel pump off....reset the inertia switch under the dash to start with...

that's all i got.....

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
The inertia fuel cut-off switch is located on the passenger side floor board, next to the plastic panel by their feet. The airbag module is located behind the plastic panel in the same location.

Just a few ideas for you to try.
1. Reset the fuel cut-off switch. Either make sure the red button is pushed all the way in or pop the red button up and then press it back in.
2. Disconnect the airbag module and then also the truck's battery to reset the PCM (ECU), but leave the airbag module disconnected, then reconnect the truck's battery.

k_kindig11

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will try that when I return home, hopefully today. I don't know what else it could be.....

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Also make sure that you didnt knock any of the plumbing to the intake loose. If air is getting pulled in after a sensor it might make things run rough

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
97 ranger gas a good point, your hose could be off the maf and that will make it run horrible

k_kindig11

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks I will check that also. I'm taking any advice and will follow up. My wife had her baby Tuesday and so they will be released this evening so tomorrow I should be able to check all suggestions. I appreciate all input thus far. It's much appreciated.

k_kindig11

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The inertia switch was not popped up. But I popped it up and pushed it back down just to be certain it was all the way down. I unplugged the air bag module and disconnected the battery. I will be trying to see if the truck runs better in a moment once I get done typing this. Other than body damage, this is the only thing broken within the engine bay that I can see. Would this broken airbox allow more air in after the maf and cause it to be running rough?

k_kindig11

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so the enertia switch and disconnecting the air bag module didn't help. I duct taped over the broken part in the air box and it magically fixed the problem. So that break was letting in too much air after the maf sensor. Thanks to everyone for the help. The member that mentioned the possibility of too much air coming in after a sensor hit the nail on the head.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Cool! Glad you got it nailed down. that part of the intake should not be too much at a local junkyard.

AJ

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Congrats on the new baby, and on the temporary fix on your truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals