Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
johnnygarcia185

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
johnnygarcia185 is on a distinguished road
Default valve cover gasket replacement

I recently just bought a 2000 ranger 2.5 and believe i have a leak coming from the valve cover gasket. What im asking is for.some insight on how to replace it and what surprises might to be expected, also which company i.should buy.the actual gasket from bosch,ac denco etc.
johnnygarcia185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure with that engine what surprises you might encounter, but did you try to tighten the VC or check the bolts? Vibration can cause them to back off a bit and might be all it needs is tightening...but don't over torque them because it can cause a leak...or worsen the situation...I think they are something like 15 inch pounds of torque but I don't have my manual handy...

I've used the blue rubber VC gaskets for quite a while...they tend to stretch once heated so they are not a good choice if you have to remove the VC and they are about four times the price of a cork gasket.

I've seen some actually glued onto the VC base...meaning this is a common problem with these engines...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Mikel89us

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: On/Off Road/Hauling
Mikel89us is on a distinguished road

I prefer the blue rubber gasket, you can get one from FelPro. They do tend to stretch, but they are re usable, i have had my valve cover off too many times to list, and always use the same gasket for the last 4 years at least. The cork gaskets leak easier and are temperamental to proper torque and a perfectly smooth VC. The rubber is never going to get over-tourqued because of the steel rings at the holes, you will strip out the bolt hole before you compress it too far (ive done it). before you go and do it make sure your EGR tube will come loose from the ends if its in the way.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
rangerbum

Vehicle Year: 85
Vehicle Model: BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: Leaving me stranded, broke, and madder than you can imagine.
rangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nice

The valve cover bolts come out easy, but when you go to pull the cover off, you will need to twist it and pull it at an angle to get it out. The back will not want to lift past the firewall and wire harness that runs to the ecu. Remove the bolts holding the harness in place, so you can manipulate it. Be patient and rotate it until you find the sweet spot. And take your time before cinching down the cover, as you put it back on it usually moves the gasket out of place. So be sure its strait!

Any job worth doing is worth doing right!