• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TIMING CHAIN??? Lotsa timng noise

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought it was bad gas causing my truck to knock & clatter, but I've done all kinds of gas cleaners and octane additives, PLUS I put my chip setting back to factory stock. All with no help with the noise & clatter.

Its now loud, mostly coming from the right side of the engine (when I roll down windows) but seems to be timing related as it only knock/clatters on hills and medium acceleration, then it goes away after shifts. Its loud enough people turn around and I also hear it very well driving along the roads.

I recall many years ago the 4.0s having timing chain issues. My '01 truck now has 66K on it.

Any thoughts or help? If it is the timing chain, any serious issues with driving it?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I assume you have the 4.0 SOHC.

There are two ways to approach this.

1) You can replace the timing cassettes, which requires removal of the engine.

2) (And I recommend this first) Go to the dealership and get the updated timing chain tensioners and some new intake gaskets.

Ford issued a redesigned unit a little while ago that seems to clear up the noisy chain issue. They are a lot cheaper than new cassettes and a lot less work to install.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does it sound like the timing chain is the problem then?
Any issues with driving it (to & from shop)?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What you described sounds a lot like the timing chain issues that engine had. Obviously I can't say for sure without hearing it in person, but it fits the general description.

You can drive it like that. Eventually it will kill the chain guides and the cassettes would have to be replaced after that, but you will have more severe issues before that happens. It will start having low power and bad misfires before the chain guide gets damaged enough to do serious engine damage.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I made an app'tmt Wed. They said it would take 2-3 days there at the shop. Sounds like its going to be VERY expensive. ANy ideas what kind of $$$ bucks we're talking for this repair? (at Ford)....so I don't go into shock at the service desk counter.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If they just do the tensioners like the bulliten says, it should be less than a day of actual work. If they price out for doing cassettes, that is a 25 hour job plus about $300 in parts, give or take a bit. I haven't priced the Ford timing cassettes in a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals