• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search and Rescue

What base vehicle would you use for SAR?

• FORD

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • JEEP

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I would never use my own vehicle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
What's up fellow members. I couldn't find any information on this topic from this site after searching every parent forum/posts.

I recently joined my county's SAR team http://comspark.com/esarc/ and was wondering if any one has any thoughts on running a 4x4 as a dedicated rescue vehicle.

I'll have to admit I have been leaning towards the cj7 since it resembles an older Daihatsu Rocky my dad used to have. Also as part of the area the team is responsible for is the famed Rubicon Trail:icon_surprised:. I would love to run a Ranger but it would need major modifications to meet my needs:

• 20+ mpg
  • enough gear, food and fuel for a team of four for three days
  • min 35" all-terrains
  • and lastly a killer, blaze orange, paint scheme that will be devolved based on the final outlay of the vehicle

Any thoughts:dunno:?

Last edited:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Here in Panama they run long wheelbase type 2 LandCruisers or Ford F250 and F350 4X4s.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger... I'd say it's a hell of a lot easier to do that whole "hauling s*** into the wilds" thing with a pickup.

Just searching, a smaller vehicle would do much better. But that rescue part, not so much. Ranger is the likely the best of both. Put a 6" long-arm lift on there and skid-plate a dual tank setup. Even better, fab up a new tank that will fit better and hold more. You can do it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
this says it all IMO.
http://midsouthjeeps.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14727-the-rescue-jeep/

I've seen this jeep in person, it's amazing. Spyder Offroad in Horn Lake did an awesome job. (pay no attention to Shane's username now, he's started his own shop recently, but this build was Spyder Offroad).

Only problem is the 20+ MPGs.. for that... I'd almost say Diesel Swap it like a different jeep build that Spyder just finished.

(btw, I'm not trying to promote Spyder Offroad, Not trying to say use them... I just know the owner and with the S&R theme it made me think of this build).

if you only wanna look at one post with the pics, here's the link
http://midsouthjeeps.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14727-the-rescue-jeep/page__view__findpost__p__332943

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I feel like it would be hard to get all the gear you need in a Jeep.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would think 4 guys & gear (depending how much gear) could be done in a 4-door Wrangler. Something I'm almost positive on though is 4 guys are not gonna fit very comfortably in a Ranger cab lol.

If you're looking to stick with Ford, you might think about a 1st-gen Explorer for this instead of the Ranger. You'd have at least as much room in an Ex as the 4-dr Wrangler, if not more, and you'd also get the better 31-spline 8.8" rearend that doesn't come in most other RBVs.
Meeting the 20+ MPG goal w/35" tires requires some pretty specific equipment (among it a manual transmission, radial tires and of course proper gearing for those tires), however it can be done.

I suggest digging around the site a bit deeper, as info to build what you're proposing is here (if not specifically info for a S&R truck, certainly info to beef these rigs up for use on trails like Rubicon & others).
Maybe take a look at what others have done for ideas. The mods I have on my Bronco II I suspect could come pretty close to meeting your needs if you were to do the same on an Explorer (link below in sig).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would just help out and see what they are using and how it works and go from there.

85broncduece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
171ci v6
Transmission
Manual
The baja is a wicked truck I used to build the charge air cooler/radiator combo for those for those. all aluminum unit. It compeeted in the baja 1000 a couple years ago. Dont know how it did though, i did hear it finished

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Ranger... I'd say it's a hell of a lot easier to do that whole "hauling s*** into the wilds" thing with a pickup.

Just searching, a smaller vehicle would do much better. But that rescue part, not so much. Ranger is the likely the best of both. Put a 6" long-arm lift on there and skid-plate a dual tank setup. Even better, fab up a new tank that will fit better and hold more. You can do it.
Maybe lift, better axles, bigger tank, regear, and beefed up recovery points/winch. Maybe some lockers, a 4.0 goes without saying

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I built my truck for first response but have used it a few times for SAR. In my area, big tires are a must for the terrain. I'd do either a 2nd gen explorer, or a 1st gen sport Trac, the Trac having slightly more equipment room. And the Trac is close to the 20 mpg mark in stock form. My modded Trac gets about 18, and when I sas with a pair of 60's and 35's, I'm pretty sure I can get real close to 20 mpg...

SVT

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
...Just searching, a smaller vehicle would do much better. But that rescue part, not so much. Ranger is the likely the best of both. Put a 6" long-arm lift on there and skid-plate a dual tank setup. Even better, fab up a new tank that will fit better and hold more. You can do it.
The only issue I have with a Ranger as a rescue vehicle is the limited room. They didn't come in a king cab variant so fitting 4 average sized 6' men could be a challenged ( I'm 6' 2" and barely fit in my '89).

As per the lift... 6 inches is a bit excessive in my book. I want as a low of a cg as possible with as much ground clearance. My ultimate goal for any rig would be a full set of 6" portals on a straight axle with 40's.

Last edited:

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
I would just help out and see what they are using and how it works and go from there.
The OHV team uses JK's, CJ's , an XJ and even an older Landcruiser. The sheriff's office used to have a Cherokee and a 4runner, but now they run a 2-door wrangler.

I would think 4 guys & gear (depending how much gear) could be done in a 4-door Wrangler. Something I'm almost positive on though is 4 guys are not gonna fit very comfortably in a Ranger cab lol.

If you're looking to stick with Ford, you might think about a 1st-gen Explorer for this instead of the Ranger. You'd have at least as much room in an Ex as the 4-dr Wrangler, if not more, and you'd also get the better 31-spline 8.8" rearend that doesn't come in most other RBVs.
Meeting the 20+ MPG goal w/35" tires requires some pretty specific equipment (among it a manual transmission, radial tires and of course proper gearing for those tires), however it can be done.

The only brand loyalty I have is the MADE IN USA:icon_cheers:.

If I went with an SUV, my choose would be a Cherokee since they sell for next to nothing around here on the local Craigslist. I need a short'ish wheelbase and don't like the way the x'ploder drives. Granted I've only driven one; but it was a pain compared to the family Suburban.

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
I feel like it would be hard to get all the gear you need in a Jeep.
With a roof rack and tie downs on a tire carrier I expect to be able to carry all the gear I need though it might be a little tight at times.

Also note I'm trying to increase my number of posts; hence the multiple replies:D.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals